Back after a very long layoff

On 1/15/2024 at 10:19 PM, GPSguru said:

Yep, Ugly sticks are a bit 'stick' like. I prefer a decent tip action with some grunt in the butt, so all my rods are Daiwa Kenzaki (6 -12, 6- -16, 12 -20, 20 -30, and 30-50) coupled with Fin Nor Marquesa reels

Just finished spooling up the reels I bought. Fin-Nor Marquesa 12 for the 15-25 lb downtider, and a bargain of a secondhand, but as new condition, Fin-Nor Primal 12 for the uptider, which came fully loaded. Can't wait to get out now.

31 minutes ago, Rog Hill said:

Just finished spooling up the reels I bought. Fin-Nor Marquesa 12 for the 15-25 lb downtider, and a bargain of a secondhand, but as new condition, Fin-Nor Primal 12 for the uptider, which came fully loaded. Can't wait to get out now.

I don’t know if you’re across it yet but removing the annoying ratchet is a simple operation, the grumpy old guy held my hand and talked me through it. 
It doesn’t affect the way the reel works.

2 hours ago, Rog Hill said:

Yes the noise could be a little bit annoying, although more annoying is paying £195 for it and then finding it at £149 at Angling Active. 

You talking about the marquesa 12 ? That’s super cheap 

1 minute ago, Rog Hill said:

Yep the Marquesa 12, annoying isn't it. An excellent bargain.

Even £195 is good, I paid near to £300 which was rrp at the time.

6 hours ago, JonC said:

Even £195 is good, I paid near to £300 which was rrp at the time.

They seem to be on special offer in most places at the moment, Glasgow Angling have the MA12 at £195 and the RRP is £349.

I recently got a 2 speed MA20 from Veals for £245 and the RRP is £549

6 hours ago, Rog Hill said:

Yep the Marquesa 12, annoying isn't it. An excellent bargain.

The reel is fitted with a sprag (one way) bearing. Sprag bearings have been known to slip under extreme tension, but that is mainly in industrial applications, and it will probably never happen on the MA12 as the max drag is only 23lb.

However, as a backup to the sprag bearing, Fin Nor fitted an anti reverse pawl, which a lot of users find the noise annoying.

The pawl is easy to remove, undo the 4 torx screws and remove the case. Just under the spool you will see the pawl and spring, there is no need to remove the spool, carefully slide a small screwdriver in to remove the 'C' clip, then using a screw driver release the spring and carefully prise the pawl off the spindle. It is quite tight for space but very doable. The reel then becomes silent. All mine are done that way (5 of them) and I have never had the sprag slip.