Back after a very long layoff

Hi all, used to be a very keen boat angler from light rod fishing for plaice to wrecking for large cod, conger etc. Many moons ago I had all my tackle stolen and although eventually got back into fishing it was mainly coarse and some shore fishing. However I recently went afloat where we caught bream, bass, pollack and some tope, all the tackle being provided by the skipper. Managed to get the bug again, and now in the market for some decent gear myself. 

Looking for advice, I think I'm edging to a couple of 6-12 lb, and 12-20 lb class rods. Past boat fishing I only used multipliers but it looks as if current trends now also include fixed spools. What would you recommend for both rod and reel combinations? My fishing will probably be limited to inshore with no wrecking, targetting all flatties, bass, bream,  cod etc.

Thanks for any info

Rog

Welcome back, sad to hear about the theft!

Looks like you have done some homework on the tackle front I presume you will be going out on charters? I wouldn't use the rods I like to use on my friend's boat or my kayak on a charter as they are lightweight and may get in other people's way when playing a fish and my preferred method (soft plastic lures)

Don’t think you can go far wrong with ugly stick gx2s and Diawa slosh reels.

I have leeda icon m rods and slosh reels.

I do use a spinning set up from the boat with a fs, for the small stuff and a bit of fun but prefer multis for most stuff! 

26 minutes ago, Rog Hill said:

Thanks for the replies guys, had a good look at the ugly sticks but am veering towards the Daiwa Tournaments.

@KennyPowers bought a tournament back in the summer, think he used it twice before going back to his ugliness. I like them but at twice the price of an ugly they should be a lot better. . I’ve been tempted to steal it from him but I quite like my kenzakis at the moment. 

I’ve got 4x Team Daiwa boat, excellent rods, better than the kenzakis, great fittings, plenty of power in the bottom end but light enough to use reefing for pollack and still get good sport. Mine are 12-20lb. 

I’ve not tried the tournament ones but I’m sure they are also good 

Another vote for Ugly Stik GX2's. I find I prefer their action (and price) instead of my collection of Daiwa Kenzakis that are now gathering dust.

Anyone want to buy a 6-12 or 12-20 orange Kenzaki??

As for reels, I like Penn Fathom 2's or Avet multis for my downtide fishing, and a FS reel if I'm using a spinning rod or uptider.

Hi Andy, based down on the south coast at Poole in Dorset, so will be fishing charters from Poole, Swanage and Weymouth. Took the plunge and bought the Tournaments, the 6-15 uptider and 15-25 boat rod. Plan to match the uptider with a fixed spool and looking at the Fin-Nor multiplier for the downtider.

23 minutes ago, Rog Hill said:

Hi Andy, based down on the south coast at Poole in Dorset, so will be fishing charters from Poole, Swanage and Weymouth. Took the plunge and bought the Tournaments, the 6-15 uptider and 15-25 boat rod. Plan to match the uptider with a fixed spool and looking at the Fin-Nor multiplier for the downtider.

Each to their own but I find fixed spool reels to be awful for heavier work, which boat casting can be when using 240g leads with big baits. To do this work they have to be big which usually means clunky. That said I’ve only ever used mid range f/s reels so maybe if you spend enough money then they may be noticeably better. 
All that said though, I still maintain that F/S are for people that can’t cast a multi.🤣 

Is the uptide rod rated 6-15 oz? If so that’s pretty mad, most are 4-8 or 6-10. Are you casting out whole chickens for bait? If so I like your style. 

Ok, I just read a sea angler review. Honest and unbiased towards their sponsors as ever, I’m just waiting for the day that we can sellout completely for free stuff. 
6-15 is the line class, strange as I’ve never seen a boat casting rod rated by line as opposed to casting weight. Don’t let that put you off of your original plan though of whole chickens for bait, I’m sure it will work perfectly. 

No quite happy with multipliers, still use them for my beach fishing. I went for the uptider as I wanted a slightly longer rod in the lighter class and probably not use it too much in the true, grip lead, uptiding. I suppose I could pair that with a Penn Fathom 15 I use on the beach.

2 minutes ago, Rog Hill said:

No quite happy with multipliers, still use them for my beach fishing. I went for the uptider as I wanted a slightly longer rod in the lighter class and probably not use it too much in the true, grip lead, uptiding. I suppose I could pair that with a Penn Fathom 15 I use on the beach.

Penn Fathom 15 will be perfect. 
The other choice of the Fin Nora is a good call, I use a pair of marquesa 12s for most of my fishing now, I don’t get the distance that I do with my Penn 535s but they are far superior quality to most other reels, though for the extra money they should be. 

@Rog Hill have you heard of the Poole bay small boat angling club?? If you join up and attend meetings, get to know a few members you could find yourself out with club members in their boats. @Maverick or @MegaByte can give you more details!! 

3 minutes ago, Malc said:

Fin nor offshore FS are great reels, yes a bit clunky but extremely robust and a top notch drag.

As I mentioned I have only ever used mid range F/S reels, I bought a small hound in on a charter boats hire rod (Penn) and it was awful. I completely understand why charter boats use them for rod hires though. 
As a kid I grew up coarse fishing so I was used to using f/s and closed face reels, it’s just when they get big they feel odd. 

On 1/9/2024 at 8:12 PM, Rog Hill said:

Thanks for the replies guys, had a good look at the ugly sticks but am veering towards the Daiwa Tournaments.

Yep, Ugly sticks are a bit 'stick' like. I prefer a decent tip action with some grunt in the butt, so all my rods are Daiwa Kenzaki (6 -12, 6- -16, 12 -20, 20 -30, and 30-50) coupled with Fin Nor Marquesa reels