Spj reel?

3 hours ago, JonC said:

So what makes a reel suitable for such fuckery? Is it spool size/capacity or gear ratio or just the nice shiny colours that they seem to be? 

Palm size and narrow spool. Something like a Maxel rage 20.

16 minutes ago, Malc said:

Needs to be expensive too, overly so.

I’m seeing that. 
What retrieve ratio is ideal? Or is it more important to get an expensive one? 

5 hours ago, JonC said:

I’m seeing that. 
What retrieve ratio is ideal? Or is it more important to get an expensive one? 

Bigger ratio the better. They usually have high ratios so you can load up the rod and use it to flick the jig up in the water more per stroke, meaning you get more drop distance and therefore longer flutter time.

9 hours ago, JDP said:

It's more to do with the rod than the reel. Most people have used rods and reels giving this action for years, however now it has a fancy name all to itself which helps sales.

Yeah I get that, and the fact that something is suddenly fashionable does make it somewhat off putting, but as you know I try to be tolerant and accepting of all things and all people. 

12 hours ago, JonC said:

Yeah I get that, and the fact that something is suddenly fashionable does make it somewhat off putting, but as you know I try to be tolerant and accepting of all things and all people. 

What I personally like about using a bait caster style reel for this sort of fishing is that I can set a rod up horizontally in a rod holder and the tension on the line release so that line only releases as the boat rocks. Its sort of like having one automatically jigging while I jig with another in my hands. I also find Im able to do far better jigging action with these light outfits if the rod is in my dominant hand, which is my right. With my thumb on the spool of the one Im working by hand I can jig to the bottom, then engage gear and work that one back up while the rod in the holder I will normally leave just off the bottom working on its own.

Ive been considering one of these little seaborgs https://daiwafishing.com.au/collections/electric/products/seaborg-electric-reels for the deeper water as they can be set up to do any jig motion I want. I could have one electric and one manual. However only been able to get out once in the past 2 months due to big seas, Im starting to think no more spending on fishing gear.

21 hours ago, JDP said:

What I personally like about using a bait caster style reel for this sort of fishing is that I can set a rod up horizontally in a rod holder and the tension on the line release so that line only releases as the boat rocks. Its sort of like having one automatically jigging while I jig with another in my hands. I also find Im able to do far better jigging action with these light outfits if the rod is in my dominant hand, which is my right. With my thumb on the spool of the one Im working by hand I can jig to the bottom, then engage gear and work that one back up while the rod in the holder I will normally leave just off the bottom working on its own.

Ive been considering one of these little seaborgs https://daiwafishing.com.au/collections/electric/products/seaborg-electric-reels for the deeper water as they can be set up to do any jig motion I want. I could have one electric and one manual. However only been able to get out once in the past 2 months due to big seas, Im starting to think no more spending on fishing gear.

Not really SPJ though is it?

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Not really SPJ though is it?

Why isn't it, maybe the UK has a different definition of SPJ to the rest of the world. This is the Shimano equivalent of Daiwa's electric reel and also one of the outfits I use for spg from my boat using any of the dozens of spg jigs I own. Most of the electric reels have a built in memory to record any jigging pattern you make yourself and save them to memory. With the right action rod set at the right angle, a slow pitch action can be copied simply by using a rod from a holder, its the action created. As I mentioned I use one manually and one setup to work off wave action, however its normally the action of the boat which catches the most, perhaps due to no wave rocking action ever being the same, though I do try to mix up my jig style a fair amount. 

IMG_0836.thumb.jpg.b6f721d2ab3172d8b58bf51fc6dcd9c1.jpg

Just for JonC something non related but still sort of related, the jaws from my last two snapper caught using 40g jigs in 64m of water doing the above.

IMG_0724.thumb.jpg.63dfa2dcaa29154b08097138a3365725.jpg

Also notice the left handed reel for SPG even though Im right handed, obviously being right handed it makes sense to jig with the rod in my right hand for a far better jigging action. Bait fishing or game fishing I use right handed reels, spin left hand reels as spinning requires better rod action. 

6 hours ago, JDP said:

Also notice the left handed reel for SPG even though Im right handed, obviously being right handed it makes sense to jig with the rod in my right hand for a far better jigging action. Bait fishing or game fishing I use right handed reels, spin left hand reels as spinning requires better rod action. 

Left hand wind/right hand rod. That's how all the proper anglers do it 😉👍

On 1/21/2024 at 11:10 PM, JDP said:

Why isn't it,

Because spj is not sticking a rod in a holder? If it is then you don't need a special rod n reel and all the other accoutrements. 

44 minutes ago, Malc said:

Because spj is not sticking a rod in a holder? If it is then you don't need a special rod n reel and all the other accoutrements. 

You wouldn't get the right action leaving just any rod at any angle in a holder, spj rods give a good action from the motion of a boat. Electric reels on those rods can copy any action an angler chooses to save to the reels memory. Just because a rod is in a holder makes no difference at all, just like a trolling outfit can be used from a holder or held by hand  etc etc. Like I mentioned though, I use one in the holder and one by hand, both work ways work well.

On 1/22/2024 at 7:49 AM, Andy135 said:

Left hand wind/right hand rod. That's how all the proper anglers do it 😉👍

Depends if you’re a cacky handed angler or not…. 

On 1/24/2024 at 11:42 PM, Odyssey said:

Depends if you’re a cacky handed angler or not…. 

I'm right handed but use those style with the handle on the left. Left handed anglers would probably benefit using a right handed reel. The rod is like an extended pen, you use your pen in the dominate hand.

I’ve got a few Temple Reef and Tenryu SPJ rods from light-medium-heavy. Reels mostly Maxel or SOM 20-40lbs braid depending on set-up. Really light weight set-ups even the 400g+ Temple reef. Great for bass and pollack here, used them in the Shetlands 2years ago and the 100m+ depth was a struggle to get the action, still caught 20lb Cod and Coalfish but rod is little use in fighting fish at that depth. Didn’t use them last year in the Shetlands as the conditions weren’t right for the Coalfish.