Hardy Har Har

A what boat thread (hopefully)

Current ship: Strikeliner 16

Would like to have: 

6.1m max LOA because of daylight robbery mooring, option to sleep overnight, khazi, warmer winter (diesel heater) pilot house, speed 16-20+ knots, economyishical, £10~15k in doubloons 

Smooth brain thoughts: Hardy Fisher 20’, Orkney Orkadian 20’, Hardy Pilot 20’

East Coast fishing (Essex), so annoying short green sea chop

Anyone here been on a Orkadian 20’? Same hull as Day Angler 19’ with living room up front and small deck area behind. Told they don’t plane much (semi D) and bow rise restricts forward vision 

Trim tabs, prop woes, weight and power all get mentioned getting Orkadien and Fishers lump over the hump 

It’s a lot to ask from 20’

Strikeliner getting canopy tent fitted next month so no rush but I’m bigger boat curious, the romance of an overnight in a river and up early off to the mark

🏴‍☠️ 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

I’ve no knowledge of the vessels you mentioned but good luck with it. Where abouts are you planning on keeping her? 

Existing boat is in Tit’marsh so would stay there. They do cheaper swinging moorings but still up to 6.1m sort of got to used to the pontoon walk on lifestyle 💅🏼 

1 hour ago, Captain Sensible said:

Existing boat is in Tit’marsh so would stay there. They do cheaper swinging moorings but still up to 6.1m sort of got to used to the pontoon walk on lifestyle 💅🏼 

Yeah, swinging maureens sound like a pain to me. 

What areas do you tend to fish? Do you drop south around the Walton/Clacton area or head north? 
I planned on going up to Roughs this year but never got around to it- do you know if it’s still worth going there? 

8 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

The merry fisher will have the nanni 85 in it, a bit under powered- 12 knots cruise 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

Yeah, swinging maureens sound like a pain to me. 

What areas do you tend to fish? Do you drop south around the Walton/Clacton area or head north? 
I planned on going up to Roughs this year but never got around to it- do you know if it’s still worth going there? 

Another reason to get something bit bigger/more freeboard is Roughs Towers, or Towers as the other like to call it. I tend to get out from Walton backwaters and out to Stone Banks. Another 20-30 mins gets you to the towers and yes it’s worth it. Stonking smoothies caught that way and decent bass. I do ok on stone banks and even backwaters. Dropping south to Clacton /Holland on sea can be good for cod/unicorns, again smaller boat can get caught out.

I can do 14-15knots, cannot get the 18-22 other strikeliner owners brag about and revs only 4500. So wondering if right set up could get another boat that can get over hump, or just take a bit more of a lumpy sea. Could see me plugging a head sea in any boat to be fair, just is one a bit safer than another 

6 minutes ago, Captain Sensible said:

Another reason to get something bit bigger/more freeboard is Roughs Towers, or Towers as the other like to call it. I tend to get out from Walton backwaters and out to Stone Banks. Another 20-30 mins gets you to the towers and yes it’s worth it. Stonking smoothies caught that way and decent bass. I do ok on stone banks and even backwaters. Dropping south to Clacton /Holland on sea can be good for cod/unicorns, again smaller boat can get caught out.

I can do 14-15knots, cannot get the 18-22 other strikeliner owners brag about and revs only 4500. So wondering if right set up could get another boat that can get over hump, or just take a bit more of a lumpy sea. Could see me plugging a head sea in any boat to be fair, just is one a bit safer than another 

I run out of Bradwell, usually head east to the middle deep or black deep and occasionally south east to the knock.My boat is only 21’ but I’ve never had conditions where I’ve felt worried, often get big ones crashing over the top but we don’t get the big swells in the Thames area. I do look at 16’ boats when I’m out sometimes and think that they must be getting smashed all over the place. 
I’ll definitely try the towers area this year  thanks. 

8 minutes ago, JonC said:

I run out of Bradwell, usually head east to the middle deep or black deep and occasionally south east to the knock.My boat is only 21’ but I’ve never had conditions where I’ve felt worried, often get big ones crashing over the top but we don’t get the big swells in the Thames area. I do look at 16’ boats when I’m out sometimes and think that they must be getting smashed all over the place. 
I’ll definitely try the towers area this year  thanks. 

Black Deep and King’s Channel get a mention on our group for some better fish, even the odd mackerel. 

When it’s windy there’s a bit coming out of Walton channel where it meets the tide and I’ve turned around at that point, motion of the boat felt quite violent and could just imagine a wave breaking over side. Owners say they can take a lot these Strikeliner, think I’d prefer higher sides 

4 minutes ago, Captain Sensible said:

Black Deep and King’s Channel get a mention on our group for some better fish, even the odd mackerel. 

When it’s windy there’s a bit coming out of Walton channel where it meets the tide and I’ve turned around at that point, motion of the boat felt quite violent and could just imagine a wave breaking over side. Owners say they can take a lot these Strikeliner, think I’d prefer higher sides 

Best thing to do, you certainly won’t get any medals for bravery. I think you would definitely notice the difference going a step up in size, I certainly notice it when going on a bigger boat than mine.

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Unless the Marina was going to do mates rates the 625 is 1.25m over that maximum. It’s a lovely boat though, curtains and everything 

I found that 585 you’ve linked and thought it could be a contender. The sleeping area prob not as nice, sort of a place to doss, but then you get a lighter boat that should plane to a decent speed and deal with a choppy sea? 

Or a heavy old f$€ker like the Hardy ? What mpg is a 115hp Yam lump going to give. That’s Hardy forum territory with no guarantee. Read about people getting 25 knots out of them 

Day angler would fit the bill.

mybfirst boat was an Orkney Pilothouse 20. Would cruise all day ar 20knts, fish 3 no issue and enough room to sleep on. 

Orkadian similar hull, semi D so you’ll get 20knts if you push it a bit nice boats 

The links to those merry fishers looked underpowered and I would stay well away from any etec engine, there's good reason the company went belly up. 

Even a 605 with a 115 Yam doesn't give great performance but if you don't mind causing around slowly then its acceptable. Once you get a bit of marine growth, full fuel tank and all the bits and pieces most of us leave in boats you will see a drop from these figures given here in this video.

13 hours ago, Captain Sensible said:

a lighter boat that should plane to a decent speed and deal with a choppy sea? 

merry fishers don't like a chop, at planning speed you'll be slamming all over the show. You would need to slow down to Semi D speeds. But then even my 4 tonne tub slams in chop. I boat in the Solent and there is plenty of it here!!

14 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

merry fishers don't like a chop, at planning speed you'll be slamming all over the show. You would need to slow down to Semi D speeds. But then even my 4 tonne tub slams in chop. I boat in the Solent and there is plenty of it here!!

Yes never seen one in my area, more a harbour this side of the pond. They don't even state the hull degree on their website, something all manufacturers do here.

On 1/29/2024 at 9:22 AM, Saintly Fish said:

That's a rather heavy boat for a 90hp engine. Unless pootling about you'll be drinking full and thrashing the engine. 
Looks in nice nick though. 

You got me checking our boat weights now or to be a proper toff, displacements. How many hands is your horse please. 

So my findings are here ✏️ 

Orkadian 20
900kg

Hardy Fisher 
1000kg

Jeanneau 585
880kg

Beneteau Antares 580
1150kg

Quicksilver 580 
1150kg

The Jeanneau was in French so I might not have understood. 

What size lump should drive 900~1150kg of boat? 

The Orkadian and Hardy folk seems to go for 75~90 horses 🐎 

47 minutes ago, Captain Sensible said:

You got me checking our boat weights now or to be a proper toff, displacements. How many hands is your horse please. 

Orkadian 20
900kg

Hardy Fisher 
1000kg

Jeanneau 585
880kg

Beneteau Antares 580
1150kg

Quicksilver 580 
1150kg

I think that you should bring these statistics before us in the form of a graph, with plenty of colours and little boxes of information. 

Orkadian 20
900kg

Hardy Fisher 
1000kg

Jeanneau 585
880kg

Beneteau Antares 580
1150kg

Quicksilver 580 
1150kg

TBH, it doesn't matter what "We" think. What matters is the manufacturers recommendation. And if I were you I'd be getting the vessel with the largest manufacturer recommended engine. This doesn't always equate to the highest fuel burn, because more HP means less revs so less fuel and less engine stress. 

Orkadian 20
900kg

Hardy Fisher 
1000kg

Jeanneau 585
880kg

Beneteau Antares 580
1150kg

Quicksilver 580 
1150kg

I'm guessing these will all be dry weight with no luggage or hooomans onboard? 

On 1/30/2024 at 8:06 PM, Saintly Fish said:

TBH, it doesn't matter what "We" think. What matters is the manufacturers recommendation. And if I were you I'd be getting the vessel with the largest manufacturer recommended engine. This doesn't always equate to the highest fuel burn, because more HP means less revs so less fuel and less engine stress. 

Bigger is always better...