Hardy Har Har

Most boats here are at least 2/1 ratio. 500kg boat =100hp+, 1000kg boat 200hp+. My 15ft 550kg boat does not feel overpowered at all with a Yam f115, its a safer boat as I have the power to control it quickly in heavy seas. Underpowered boats can be dangerous if they are slow to respond when you need them to move quickly. All outboards should be propped to rev out close to the manufacturers recommended max rpm. In regards to fuel burn, the boat I have now Ive also owned in the past with various other outboard configurations. Ive owned the same boat with a Yam f70, Merc 90, Honda 90 and now Yam f115, the latest 115 is by far the most economical to run. With a Yam f70 I returned at best 2.5km per litre, the f115 is giving 3.7km per litre. Each propped to reach the recommend max rpm. Underpowered boats will be expensive to run if do long distances.

ScreenShot2024-02-01at8_46_10am.png.cfc282a1cf7fdfc842f042810bc39bea.png

30 minutes ago, JDP said:

Most boats here are at least 2/1 ratio. 500kg boat =100hp+, 1000kg boat 200hp+. My 15ft 550kg boat does not feel overpowered at all with a Yam f115, it’s a safer boat as I have the power to control it quickly in heavy seas. Underpowered boats can be dangerous if they are slow to respond when you need them to move quickly. All outboards should be propped to rev out close to the manufacturers recommended max rpm. In regards to fuel burn, the boat I have now Ive also owned in the past with various other outboard configurations. Ive owned the same boat with a Yam f70, Merc 90, Honda 90 and now Yam f115, the latest 115 is by far the most economical to run. With a Yam f70 I returned at best 2.5km per litre, the f115 is giving 3.7km per litre. Each propped to reach the recommend max rpm. Underpowered boats will be expensive to run if do long distances.

ScreenShot2024-02-01at8_46_10am.png.cfc282a1cf7fdfc842f042810bc39bea.png

We’ve been here before Jon, you know full well that European boats have always have a lower outboard rating than yank or aus boats, it’s what it is. I don’t know the reason, maybe it’s because of our general higher standards for things or just based on what actually sells. Maybe it’s connected to higher standards in environmental issues, I know that the yanks and Australia are fairly lapse on emissions so perhaps that’s something to do with it. 
The largest single outboard that you will find on a 6m boat here is probably 150hp and that’s only a few boats like Pirates etc. 

Im yet to hear of an accident caused or a boat getting in trouble in the uk because it’s underpowered. Maybe it happens but I think most people here have the good sense and skills to use their boats in appropriate conditions. I’ve watch loads of videos on YouTube of dick heads getting in trouble in fast fishers with twin big engines at places like Haulover inlet but that’s not a thing here. 

That ratio would put my 270kg strikeliner at 50hp? Orkney recommend up to 25hp, it’s got a 30hp yam which will do me for what it does. Maybe the Yank and Southern Crims need a bigger motor as a flex but more practically maybe because of bigger seas than we get in UK? 

I’m leaning towards the floating caravan that is the hardy pilot 20, will have a word with someone who used to own one who is based at same marina. Just about to get a new tent canopy made for the strikeliner. Another season for the Strikey or find a bigger boat? Do I don’t I 🙄

6 hours ago, Captain Sensible said:

That ratio would put my 270kg strikeliner at 50hp? Orkney recommend up to 25hp, it’s got a 30hp yam which will do me for what it does. Maybe the Yank and Southern Crims need a bigger motor as a flex but more practically maybe because of bigger seas than we get in UK? 

I’m leaning towards the floating caravan that is the hardy pilot 20, will have a word with someone who used to own one who is based at same marina. Just about to get a new tent canopy made for the strikeliner. Another season for the Strikey or find a bigger boat? Do I don’t I 🙄

I lifted this from another forum, it's from a Hardy owner at the time. 

Hi, 
I have a Hardy Fisher 20, I'm not sure there is a huge difference between the fisher and the pilot apart from the pilot having more windows and generally being more kitted out for staying on rather than deck space. I think the hull is the same... It looks like it anyway. 
Mine has a Mercury 75 four stroke and will plane very quickly when you open the engine up. Top speed is 24 knots and she will cruise very well at 18 knots. I would either keep it off the plane at 8-10 knots or get up on to the plane quickly though. You will use more fuel half way on the plane and the ride won't feel right. I'm not sure why you would want to do this? I usually want to get somewhere quickly to fish and will then move slower to get the right spot on the mark. 
As others have said have a look at the Hardy forum.

This would suggest to me that the Pilot being made up for more overnighting than fishing would be slightly more heavy than the fisher too, so performance will be worse? It's seems it's either balls out or slow as fuck. If that suits you then great, if not maybe look elsewhere. 

On 2/1/2024 at 6:51 AM, Saintly Fish said:

This would suggest to me that the Pilot being made up for more overnighting than fishing would be slightly more heavy than the fisher too, so performance will be worse? It's seems it's either balls out or slow as fuck. If that suits you then great, if not maybe look elsewhere

The first time I read this I was like, yeah need a different boat. Now I’m thinking hell yeah, I DO like balls out AND slow as fuck. Could this be the dream boat. 

Sounds like my Marina loves a bit of tape measure play so need to decide on how deep the pockets are. 

In the meantime I’ve been reading about Marlin 585’s. 

Prob just need to buy an Aqua bell with massive diesels and get it done 

13 hours ago, Captain Sensible said:

IIRC twin Ford Mermaids. Cracking engines, old tech and simple, a bit smoky, easy to fix.

However, finding a decent Aquabell will be a challenge.

17 hours ago, Captain Sensible said:

The first time I read this I was like, yeah need a different boat. Now I’m thinking hell yeah, I DO like balls out AND slow as fuck. Could this be the dream boat. 

Sounds like my Marina loves a bit of tape measure play so need to decide on how deep the pockets are. 

In the meantime I’ve been reading about Marlin 585’s. 

there is a couple of aquabells for sale on BOATS.COM  look ok nice boats

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Which one's your new one? Blue one?

@Andy135Read the post from the beginning and stop just looking at the pictures. 

@Captain Sensible congratulations on the new boat. It is now clear that this sustained period of foul weather is solely your fault. I wanted to go fishing sometime soon but you have put an end to that by buying a new boat.☹️🤣

1 hour ago, JonC said:

@Andy135Read the post from the beginning and stop just looking at the pictures. 

@Captain Sensible congratulations on the new boat. It is now clear that this sustained period of foul weather is solely your fault. I wanted to go fishing sometime soon but you have put an end to that by buying a new boat.☹️🤣

I second this. I can't even remember what my boat looks like it's been so long, and it's all your fault @Captain Sensible !!

I think i may have to take some of the blame on the weather. We got a new boat in mid November, got her wet the first weekend then haven't been out since. Got every thing crossed for this Sunday