Anchor rope

I've got a windlass which constantly jams the rope when retrieving unless someone is up front pulling the rope into the anchor locker

I've had this bit of stainless tacked on to the "thing" that is supposed to stop rope jam, I will cut it to suit so that there is virtually no gap between it and the gypsy when I next go down

This will hopefully stop the rope staying on the gypsy and getting stuck between it and the "thing"

20240428_111434 20240428_111431

Was told by a yachtie the other day that octoplait would be a better option than the 3 strand I've currently got

What do you all use and do you have similar problems

3 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

I've got a windlass which constantly jams the rope when retrieving unless someone is up front pulling the rope into the anchor locker

I've had this bit of stainless tacked on to the "thing" that is supposed to stop rope jam, I will cut it to suit so that there is virtually no gap between it and the gypsy when I next go down

This will hopefully stop the rope staying on the gypsy and getting stuck between it and the "thing"

Was told by a yachtie the other day that octoplait would be a better option than the 3 strand I've currently got

I use alderney, but with a RIB it is quite a bit more complex than a hard boat as pulling from the bow roller mounted on the bow tube has limited strength. That means I need the lightest anchor (3.75kg bruce) and then 8m of 6m chain to just counter balance the pick. Even then, we often pull from the stern A frame, as I have a load more buoyancy than a hard boat. So even simple is still not without its issues, just like gypsy.

Yes octoplait would be better, but it is a huge amount more expensive  than welding on a lump of stainless ! Also, the rag and stick brigade tend to anchor in shallow water, whereas I often anchor in 200ft and have 200m of 12mm 3 strand warp out.

I would stick with what you have, and carefully refine the mod until you get it perfect.

Edited by GPSguru

37 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I use alderney, but with a RIB it is quite a bit more complex than a hard boat as pulling from the bow roller mounted on the bow tube has limited strength. That means I need the lightest anchor (3.75kg bruce) and then 8m of 6m chain the just counter balance the pick. Even then, we often pull from the stern A frame, as I have a load more buoyancy than a hard boat. So even simple is still not without its issues, just like gypsy.

Yes octoplait would be better, but it is a huge amount more expensive  than welding on a lump of stainless ! Also, the rag and stick brigade tend to anchor in shallow water, whereas I often anchor in 200ft and have 200m of 12mm 3 strand warp out.

I would stick with what you have, and carefully refine the mod until you get it perfect.

I've just seen the price of octoplait, anything between £400 and nearly £600 for 100M !

As for your last sentence, that's exactly what I'll do

I have to redo the splice, so will turn the rope around as it's a bit chaffed at the anchor end

BTW, I've patented my design so if it works, this time next year I'll be a millionaire

If it fails miserably, I will of course deny all knowledge

I would make sure that you get rid of the sharp corners before patenting your earth shattering new invention. Geoff.😉

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

I've just seen the price of octoplait, anything between £400 and nearly £600 for 100M !

As for your last sentence, that's exactly what I'll do

I have to redo the splice, so will turn the rope around as it's a bit chaffed at the anchor end

BTW, I've patented my design so if it works, this time next year I'll be a millionaire

If it fails miserably, I will of course deny all knowledge

take the rope of mate and take it home a put it in the washing machine for a couple of cycles that will soften  it up a bit just make sure the mrs is out shopping lol

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I would make sure that you get rid of the sharp corners before patenting your earth shattering new invention. Geoff.😉

it will be cut to suit and yes, any sharp edges will be softened

I will be on dragons den before you know it

4 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

My windlass does exactly the same thing. Think it's more to do with the weight of the rode and the depth of the locker. If the rode is lightweight it doesn't fall too good, and if the locker is quite shallow then the rode has no depth to fall properly so backs up. I have to go upfront when I retrieve too, but with a remove around my neck it's easy. 
ps, every windless I've ever had has done the same regardless of rope type of size etc

1 hour ago, daio web said:

take the rope of mate and take it home a put it in the washing machine for a couple of cycles that will soften  it up a bit just make sure the mrs is out shopping lol

Be sure to put it in a cloth bag first though and do up the end. 
Or soak it in a bath over night with a bottle of fabric softener poured in. 

51 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Be sure to put it in a cloth bag first though and do up the end. 
Or soak it in a bath over night with a bottle of fabric softener poured in. 

It's not stiff, it's very supple

It just stays on the gypsy and eventually jams

My windlass is mounted on starboard side on deck but suffers same issue…. It sticks to windless and doesn’t fall nicely so I have to hand feed it into the locker. 

if your magic device works, will you be offering early bird discounts? 😁😁