Taking divers on your boat?

Andy135

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

I've just pressed the button on a GoPro Hero8, with Protective Housing (waterproof to 60m) and rail mount.

I did consider a Water Wolf but with a GoPro I can get HD video on land and on the boat as well as underwater, plus the GoPro has loads of mounting accessories that make it more feasible to shoot video hands-free on demand (voice activation, controlled and edits by mobile app), so standby for lots of blurry footage of a rusty pile of scrap underwater plus the obligatory victory shots of a vanquished whiting  dogfish or two.

fixed that for you

5 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I've just pressed the button on a GoPro Hero8, with Protective Housing (waterproof to 60m) and rail mount.

I did consider a Water Wolf but with a GoPro I can get HD video on land and on the boat as well as underwater, plus the GoPro has loads of mounting accessories that make it more feasible to shoot video hands-free on demand (voice activation, controlled and edits by mobile app), so standby for lots of blurry footage of a rusty pile of scrap underwater plus the obligatory victory shots of a vanquished whiting or two.

You might need to do some research ..............

I have a Hero 7 Black and remote operation is a well known glitch that may, or may not have been fixed in the 8.

The GoPro is woken up on blue tooth, but then any commands are sent and received over wifi direct, however, if the camera is left for more than a few hours it will not respond to a wake up command from a phone or a remote ........ the answer is to manually switch it on first and then the remote works OK.

The issue goes a lot deeper than that .......... if the GoPro is left inactive for a few days, it forgets the 'paired' remote (phone or remote) conpletely, and it has to be paired again, which is a complete PITA as you need to reset the GoPro 'connections'

Edited by GPSguru

9 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

You might need to do some research ..............

I have a Hero 7 Black and remote operation is a well known glitch that may, or may not have been fixed in the 8.

The GoPro is woken up on blue tooth, but then any commands are sent and received over wifi direct, however, if the camera is left for more than a few hours it will not respond to a wake up command from a phone or a remote ........ the answer is to manually switch it on first and then the remote works OK.

The issue goes a lot deeper than that .......... if the GoPro is left inactive for a few days, it forgets the 'paired' remote (phone or remote) conpletely, and it has to be paired again, which is a complete PITA as you need to reset the GoPro 'connections'

Good to know. My thinking is that I'll only really need voice commands, and will use the app for editing video rather than controlling the camera.

20 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Good to know. My thinking is that I'll only really need voice commands, and will use the app for editing video rather than controlling the camera.

I find GoPro Quik to be limited and clunky, also, it will not process 4k video (not that I use 4K very often)

On the PC a better solution is the free version  of DaVinci Resolve by Black Magic design ........... this is a free version of a very successful commercial product, easy to use and is fully supported by Black Magic

13 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

How about a paravein? Would a weighted one give you some stability in the water to enable a controlled drop??

Yes, I'm thinking along the same lines. I have a plan to make up something like a paravane from some sheet stainless I have in the shed - the weight of the stainless being calculated to ensure the camera remains upright.