Lap tops

Saintly Fish

Leo’s been using my iPad for home schooling, but it’s not great for this type of work. I’d like to get him a lap top, I’m not great at knowing what’s what with processors etc. So, any hints on what the thing should have inside would be great fully received. 
thanks

i will pm you with a phone number.

i look for larg amout of ram memery helps with thr runingof a program. a farst proscesr, and a desient size on the  hard drive.

widows 10 is still serported where the outhers arnt,

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Leo’s been using my iPad for home schooling, but it’s not great for this type of work. I’d like to get him a lap top, I’m not great at knowing what’s what with processors etc. So, any hints on what the thing should have inside would be great fully received. 
thanks

It seems a lot of home schooling is based on google products ( it is here) so a chrome book maybe the way forward. However, from personal perspective I dislike Chrome !

If I was looking for a laptop today then it would need to be specc’ed with at least 256Gb of SSD ( hard drives are slow and very yesterday) minimum of 4GB Ram and probably an Intel i3 or i5 processor running Windows  10 Home edition. Many of the cheaper laptops only have 64 or 128Gb SSD and by the time the operating system is installed (win 10) it doesn't leave much free space. These laptops are designed mainly for cloud storage, which can be a bit limiting at times. 
I find laptops in general to be slow, but I am used to using a very fast desktop ( AMD Ryzen 12 core thread ripper, 2Tb SSD, 64Gb Ram). 

31 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

It seems a lot of home schooling is based on google products ( it is here) so a chrome book maybe the way forward. However, from personal perspective I dislike Chrome !

If I was looking for a laptop today then it would need to be specc’ed with at least 256Gb of SSD ( hard drives are slow and very yesterday) minimum of 4GB Ram and probably an Intel i3 or i5 processor running Windows  10 Home edition. Many of the cheaper laptops only have 64 or 128Gb SSD and by the time the operating system is installed (win 10) it doesn't leave much free space. These laptops are designed mainly for cloud storage, which can be a bit limiting at times. 
I find laptops in general to be slow, but I am used to using a very fast desktop ( AMD Ryzen 12 core thread ripper, 2Tb SSD, 64Gb Ram). 

Thanks Ian, that’s useful info. Now head over and answer the transducer antifoul question. 👍🏻

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks Ian, that’s useful info. Now head over and answer the transducer antifoul question. 👍🏻

Nah, I don't do antifoul !

But, ISTR the reason was that antifoul of a few years ago was of a metallic content, which made the transducer less efficient. I would go with the megabyte suggestion.

I see the boats come out here and outdrives / transducers seems to be a haven for mussels !

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Nah, I don't do antifoul !

But, ISTR the reason was that antifoul of a few years ago was of a metallic content, which made the transducer less efficient. I would go with the megabyte suggestion.

I see the boats come out here and outdrives / transducers seems to be a haven for mussels !

Nothing like cross posting!  Thought you’d know better🙄

This whole home schooling thing is ball ache. My youngest has been using the main mac thing for her stuff and my middlest one using an I pad, but we have had to shell out for an IMac Pro thing to do her stuff on. A lot of kids are really going to struggle with this. 
People we know have 3 kids in different primary school age groups to school along with doing their own job from home.

8 minutes ago, JonC said:

This whole home schooling thing is ball ache. My youngest has been using the main mac thing for her stuff and my middlest one using an I pad, but we have had to shell out for an IMac Pro thing to do her stuff on. A lot of kids are really going to struggle with this. 
People we know have 3 kids in different primary school age groups to school along with doing their own job from home.

Well that’s their fault for being greedy with the kids. Just have one and make life simpler. Not too late to off load a couple jon. 

We're experiencing the same ar present. Our two primary age kids are using Mrs135's iPad for their school work. It's ok, but sometimes IOS doesn't work quite as expected vs, say, a computer running Windows, so we're likely to look for a laptop too.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

We're experiencing the same ar present. Our two primary age kids are using Mrs135's iPad for their school work. It's ok, but sometimes IOS doesn't work quite as expected vs, say, a computer running Windows, so we're likely to look for a laptop too.

What about the old system you pulled out of your boat? That had a pc stack in it you said.  (The one you keep banging on about)

6 minutes ago, JonC said:

What about the old system you pulled out of your boat? That had a pc stack in it you said.  (The one you keep banging on about)

It still works fine, but it's running Windows 7. Which is even more antique than @Geoff...

oG1JPqG.jpg

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

It still works fine, but it's running Windows 7. Which is even more antique than @Geoff...

Well then hit wire it to that monitor you have in the lounge you’re using as a tv and install some new software 

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

oG1JPqG.jpg

You can still upgrade from 7 to 10 for free ....... I did daughters old laptop last week. There is a microsoft install tool for doing it, the only limiting factor is that you cant change major hardware, which is fine on a laptop.

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

Well then hit wire it to that monitor you have in the lounge you’re using as a tv and install some new software 

It's a 10 year old machine. It won't have the hardware to make a good job of Win10 and I don't have the time or inclination to make a project out of it.

Just now, JonC said:

Curry’s are a bunch of cnuts. Worst customer services ever. 

Curry’s are my friend. I put a Sony lap top in for a service once , got it back and paid for it no problems. A week later the warehouse ring me to say they’ve lost my laptop. I got the whole £1100 back and the cost of the service refunded. 

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Curry’s are my friend. I put a Sony lap top in for a service once , got it back and paid for it no problems. A week later the warehouse ring me to say they’ve lost my laptop. I got the whole £1100 back and the cost of the service refunded. 

That is indeed a result. Bet you was worried about someone finding your laptop! 

That worked in your favour but that shows the weapons grade level of their uselessness. 

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I just placed an order for one of these.

HP Pavilion 14-ce3510sa 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 512 GB SSD, Silver

£170 off, will be here tomorrow before 12pm

That's good vslue............... if has an HDMI port, you can plug it into the TV, for some communal homework therapy  🤣