'Piranha', my Yamarin 5400

Plaicehunter

• Andy135 changed the title to 'Piranha', my Yamarin 5400
3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Looks like a nice setup . 👍🏻

If it had a clean bottom and a 115 it would do 50mph on flat water - I've seen the video. I have a Mariner 60 which gets it up on the plane OK but most of my time is spent in the Tamar doing economical displacement speeds as the limit is 10 knots. PH

2 minutes ago, Plaicehunter said:

If it had a clean bottom and a 115 it would do 50mph on flat water - I've seen the video. I have a Mariner 60 which gets it up on the plane OK but most of my time is spent in the Tamar doing economical displacement speeds as the limit is 10 knots. PH

Is changing up to a 115 on the to do list? Or are you happy with the 60?

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Is changing up to a 115 on the to do list? Or are you happy with the 60?

No, I would have to update the steering for one thing, and I don't do much long-range fishing where speed is essential. Most of the time I am pottering about, but local tides can be fierce and it's good to have a bit of oomph. When I bought the boat it had a Mercury 60 which seemed to go all right, but when it was serviced it was found to have bad internal corrosion. I couldn't find a decent second-hand engine so finally bit the bullet and bought new. Just after that I stumbled across a Yamaha 90 in mint condition at a really good price! Sod's Law, but the Mariner EFi has been very good so far. PH

6 minutes ago, Plaicehunter said:

50mph from a 115 would be pretty amazing, the hull must be pretty flat with very little v and also very light. My boat is the same length and maxes out at 34kt with a 140 and a clean trailered hull.

Just now, Plaicehunter said:

No, I would have to update the steering for one thing, and I don't do much long-range fishing where speed is essential. Most of the time I am pottering about, but local tides can be fierce and it's good to have a bit of oomph. When I bought the boat it had a Mercury 60 which seemed to go all right, but when it was serviced it was found to have bad internal corrosion. I couldn't find a decent second-hand engine so finally bit the bullet and bought new. Just after that I stumbled across a Yamaha 90 in mint condition at a really good price! Sod's Law, but the Mariner EFi has been very good so far. PH

It's always the way isn't it? But at least you have the peace of mind and reliability of a new engine. I bet she still goes well with the 60 though.