Jump to content

The renaming of fish for the UK market


GPSguru
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

So, we now have Cornish Sole, which taste feck'in horrible, and Cornish King crab, which I am quite partial to .............

TBF: most of the bigger spiders are caught in Devon .................

So the next 'Dangerous Catch' series will be the King Crab boats out of Looe .........🤣

Here you go .......... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-55996938

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What made me chuckle is that the vast majority of their buyers are European... not only will a name change not make a blind bit of difference to the export mess the industry is in just now, but the Europeans have their own names for these species anyway so aren't likely to call them by whatever names us English cook up for them. 🤣

I know this is an attempt to re-brand for the domestic market to make up for lost sales opportunities in the EU... best of luck to them, but I sort of hope the industry fails in a way, and eases the pressure on the fish stocks [puts on tin hat and takes cover]... ⛑️

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

What made me chuckle is that the vast majority of their buyers are European... not only will a name change not make a blind bit of difference to the export mess the industry is in just now, but the Europeans have their own names for these species anyway so aren't likely to call them by whatever names us English cook up for them. 🤣

I know this is an attempt to re-brand for the domestic market to make up for lost sales opportunities in the EU... best of luck to them, but I sort of hope the industry fails in a way, and eases the pressure on the fish stocks [puts on tin hat and takes cover]... ⛑️

It won't tho, it will just leave the EU to wipe the stocks out completely just like they have in their own waters with no-one to keep a watch on them. I have nothing against our commercial fisherman, they should have priority to our fish, there is a certain element putting their parts on coz we wanted our ball back. Where we did go wrong, is not finding alternative markets for our goods while all the wrangling was going on. We could all see this coming, the EU have never played by their own rules.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

It won't tho, it will just leave the EU to wipe the stocks out completely just like they have in their own waters with no-one to keep a watch on them. I have nothing against our commercial fisherman, they should have priority to our fish, there is a certain element putting their parts on coz we wanted our ball back. Where we did go wrong, is not finding alternative markets for our goods while all the wrangling was going on. We could all see this coming, the EU have never played by their own rules.....

Well, in my opinion we have to start somewhere  - it doesn't make a difference to the fish if it's an EU or a British boat they end up in, so if there are less boats fishing for them, of any nationality, it's still a win for sustainability... assuming the EU stick to their quotas and stop when they've reached them... 🤨

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect that the EU fishermen may start to target these fish themselves if they see a lucrative market for them. That will probably mean that they catch and sell the same fish in our waters, but are not subject to the rules that they are imposing on our fishermen. The EU desperately want to see us fail and will try anything to make that happen. They are terrified that if we end up successful others will want to leave. Geoff.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Here is Kyle with a 3lb Spider that he caught last summer in 60ft of water. It was a fair catch and mouth hooked.

We ate that one ....... I quite like Spider Crab meat, there is less of it, but it is  a very sweet meat

IMG_1078.thumb.JPG.babb7cfea6d40413b0d93eee7e24900d.JPG

 

Edited by GPSguru
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

 

Here is Kyle with a 3lb Spider that he caught last summer in 60ft of water. It was a fair catch and mouth hooked.

We ate that one ....... I quite like Spider Crab meat, less is less of it, but it is  a very sweet meat

IMG_1078.thumb.JPG.babb7cfea6d40413b0d93eee7e24900d.JPG

 

Have you seen any of them sold as ‘dressed’ like we buy a normal ‘Cromer’ crab. That’s what they’re all called around these parts, even Morrison’s sell them as that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JonC said:

Have you seen any of them sold as ‘dressed’ like we buy a normal ‘Cromer’ crab. That’s what they’re all called around these parts, even Morrison’s sell them as that. 

 

The only dressed crabs we see here are Brown Crab and also Lobster.

I know that a very high % of the Spiders were exported to France & Belgium ............ I thought the figure was over 90%

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...