Wanted - old damaged/scrap/spare volvo 270/280/290 outdrive leg

Geoff

As the title above suggests, I am looking for a few spare parts for my volvo outdrive leg and wondered if anyone has an old one, or parts floating about that they wish sell or otherwise dispose of. Please help! Thank you. Geoff.

Thanks Neil, actually that looks good value for the price, but whilst it is a volvo leg, it is the newer series and does not have common parts with the 200 series Volvo. I do scour the bay most days, but it is generally people (traders) who offer old used parts at very optimistic (for them) prices. almost any old 270/280 leg would almost certainly include the bits that I need as those parts are not usually damaged or worn out. My spare leg is in excellent condition, but suffered a trauma - not in my hands I hasten to say. buying a complete. Buying an old or scrap leg is likely to be my best option. Geoff.☺️

Edited by Geoff

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks Neil. I do not need another outdrive - you will not believe it but I already have 2 spare DPSA legs and an OMC Cobra leg (early version which became the Volvo SX when Volvo bought it). there is nothing wrong with my 280 DP leg, but the engineer thinks it may be a bit power hungry for my engine. As I already have a very nice clean (not used for the last 25 years, but dry stored) Volvo 280 SP leg which has a small amount of damage to one of the small castings - an item which is not a wear part I thought that the most economical route may be an old/scrap leg as there must be dozens about. Geoff.

Edited by Geoff

14 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Thanks Neil. I do not need another outdrive - you will not believe it but I already have 2 spare DPSA legs and an OMC Cobra leg (early version which became the Volvo SX when Volvo bought it). there is nothing wrong with my 280 DPS leg, but the engineer thinks it may be a bit power hungry for my engine. As I already have a very nice clean (not used for the last 25 years, but dry stored) Volvo 280 SP leg which has a small amount of damage to one of the small castings - an item which is not a wear part I thought that the most economical route may be on old/scrap leg as there must be dozens about. Geoff.

Right got yer. Sorry 😞

Neil, please do not apologize for being helpful - your efforts are much appreciated, and I am sure that you live in an area where there may well be someone who has some old Volvo bits and bobs or perhaps even an old boat project with a scrap leg still on it (that is how I became the owner of my spare 280 leg). Thanks. Geoff.☺️

Thanks Steve yes, that is what I said to FS. I would ask if you could keep your eyes open for something, but I look on the bay most days, but that is mainly stuff that others have bought and stripped and think the parts are worth a fortune. Geoff.

5 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

You should be able to just swap the lower units over, pretty sure that the SP and DP are interchangeable 

I've got a reverse lock mechanism in the garage somewhere off an early 90's  290 DP if you need one

Thank you JS. Yes I understand that the SP and DP lower units are interchangeable, but my 280SP leg is in a far better general condition than the DP on the boat so I would like to use that if I can. I could just swap the couple of bits that I need from the DP onto the SP, But then it would make it difficult if I try to sell the DP leg which I think would be quite saleable as I also have the inner and out transom parts. If the SP leg does perform better I will keep it on the boat and if I can sell the DP setup it would provide a bit of cash towards changing the outboard on my FF from an older 2T to a more modern 4T. Thanks for the offer of the reverse lock, should I need it I know where to come knocking. Geoff.☺️

Thanks JS. Yes I did see that ,but both of my lower units are fine. The damage to my SP unit is the top bellows spiggot on the leg which was caused by the failure of the UJ. Geoff. Just out of interest I know that several parts of 280 were used for the 290 and I think that the lower units were the same, but am not 100% sure - do you know please? Geoff.

I was told that the 270/280 and 290 were pretty much interchangeable

I'm not 100% on that though, could just be the 280 and 290

There's an American site called Bayliner owners forum Forum - BAYLINER OWNERS CLUB

Even though you have a Fairline, They will still help you

I learned a lot on there, I re engined my old Bayliner 2359 from petrol to diesel with a lot their help, including changing outdrive from OMC to VP