Yanmar engine advice

Gordmac

Looking at a boat (Rodman or similar thread) with twin 4cyl Yanmars, anything to look out for? Present owner has had the boat for about 3 years/550 hours, not sure the maintenance has been great. I think there are 5 anodes in the raw water system, I doubt they have been looked at. How much of a problem could that be?

Thanks in advance!

@Gordmac check when the timing belt was last changed. Should be every 5 years or 500 hours. It’s real simple to change (even I managed it) and you can get a Bosch full kit for around £100. On these you don’t need the Yanmar stuff because they are (well mine is) Toyota Land Cruiser engines. If you can establish from a Yanmar mechanic exactly which Toyota engine it is then your on to a winner with spare parts costs. Access aside, they are relatively easy to work on. So far last season I...... 

striped and descaled the complete cooling system.
removed turbo, then re fitted once reconditioned.

changed anodes,

changed oil, filters etc

changed coolant

fitted an oil catch can.  

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

@Gordmac check when the timing belt was last changed. Should be every 5 years or 500 hours. It’s real simple to change (even I managed it) and you can get a Bosch full kit for around £100. On these you don’t need the Yanmar stuff because they are (well mine is) Toyota Land Cruiser engines. If you can establish from a Yanmar mechanic exactly which Toyota engine it is then your on to a winner with spare parts costs. Access aside, they are relatively easy to work on. So far last season I...... 

striped and descaled the complete cooling system.
removed turbo, then re fitted once reconditioned.

changed anodes,

changed oil, filters etc

changed coolant

fitted an oil catch can.  

I can’t believe how clever you really are. 

If you’re looking at it, insist on full service by a mechanic prior to sale along with a state of health report. That way you avoid getting stung with big bills (hopefully)

Thanks for the replies. The boat is nowhere near new. I don't think the engine has a timing belt.

I am wondering how much corrosion might have occurred in the coolers if the anodes haven't been changed. I suppose a proper mechanical survey is the answer if I could find a mechanic with Yanmar experience.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 9:35 AM, Gordmac said:

Thanks for the replies. The boat is nowhere near new. I don't think the engine has a timing belt.

I am wondering how much corrosion might have occurred in the coolers if the anodes haven't been changed. I suppose a proper mechanical survey is the answer if I could find a mechanic with Yanmar experience.

How's this going Gord?