Bristol Channel Easter Sunday

jonnyswamp

With reports that cod were still being caught up around Clevedon/Portishead and a small tide/good forecast, I decided on one last trip up the Channel

The flood always seems to be the better tide up there and with low water at Cardiff around 6am, we made our way through the 6.30 lock and out into a glorious morning

2021-04-05_10-59-59

A smooth, 30 odd minutes later we dropped the pick on the side of a deep(ish) channel near Clevedon that always seems to hold a few fish

An hour or so later and without so much as a twitch on the 10 rods we had out, a move was in order

Up with the anchor and a mile or so later it was dropped a couple of hundred yards off the middle grounds sand bank

Plan B was no better than plan A, so up with the anchor again and we moved to within 60/80 yards of the bank in 10ft of water

In the past I have caught dozens of smaller codling here (2-4lb) in the shallow water, they seem to come in with the tide as the bank gets covered. Feeding on worm I assume

This wasn't to be the case today, the only bit of rod movement of the flood tide produced this 

2021-04-05_11-00-12

A shade under 7lb and very welcome

We got to high water and, as forecast, the wind was steadily increasing and due to get stronger

Anchor up again and we made our way back towards Cardiff in a sloppy, wind against tide sea. With anything above 13/14 knots a bit uncomfortable

We got to a mark about a mile off the lower end of Cardiff foreshore, dropped anchor and pondered the dreaded chequebook and pen

Andy (who caught the cod) was first in with a small thornie, followed by myself with 2 dogs in quick succession, Mike then dropped a strap conger at the side of the boat (but redeemed himself with a dog), leaving Mark with the potential booby prize unless his last cast could produce

I called time at 10 to 3 to make the 3.15 lock back in and on bringing in his last rod, Mark had hooked a dog.....

But dropped it at the side of the boat, so he blanked and won the chequebook and pen for the day

I think that's the end of targeting cod, East of Cardiff,  and will concentrate on further West, plenty of various rays and the smoothies won't be long before they show up in numbers

Beautiful morning to be out and the old faithfulls saved the day......again 

Where to go next week ???

Good write up and a lovely cod. Well done to Andy and top marks to the skipper for all those moves to find the fish.

Shame your mate Mark dropped his dogfish at the last moment - I can imagine how bad he must feel as if it were me I'd be gutted!! 😬🤣

12 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Good write up and a lovely cod. Well done to Andy and top marks to the skipper for all those moves to find the fish.

Shame your mate Mark dropped his dogfish at the last moment - I can imagine how bad he must feel as if it were me I'd be gutted!! 😬🤣

He tried to be all nonchalant about it, but it hurt 🤣

To be fair, he's a good angler and doesn't fail very often

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

You were yesterday ......... twice if I remember. 

Yep, I seem to have picked up the habit of bumping them off before they get to the boat... much like someone else I could mention, eh? 😉