Saturday 17th

JonC

I had high hopes on Friday for a days fishing in the river. The roker should be in now and although they get boring opposed to dogs and whiting they are the best of a bad bunch.

Friday evening I was walking the dogs and I saw this 782E4EF6-FBD7-4E18-B57E-3543C0A92FFD.thumb.jpeg.5fa15571e721ce8c1ace7dcab29b0df7.jpegI’m sure he was within his rights but he was going up and down all evening so I thought that would ruin the fishing for a couple of days so a change of destination was needed. 
I decided to give the wallet a try, it’s an area in front of clacton running up towards harwich. This was about 16 mile from Bradwell, 4 miles off Frinton. I dropped the hook in about 40’ of water, ready to start dragging the cod in. 
This didn’t really go to plan, I did everything I could so the blame lies with the cod who made no effort. 
I sat it out for 3 hours, watching other boats moving about in all directions. Even when I’m not catching I try to stay put, as eventually the scent trail usually works. I was bringing in the odd whiting but all small then after 4 dogs on the bounce I had enough and headed back towards clacton. I anchored on a patch of ground called the Tripod. Fishing was the same, as well as watching other boats moving about which is never a great sign. Pulled anchor about 3.30pm for an hours drive home. FF167D31-9A48-4261-BF43-AFAE74E9AEE7.thumb.jpeg.7e494203026474bd1f965aac6ed652e0.jpeg

12 minutes ago, JonC said:

Can only catch what’s there unfortunately! 
I thought you would be pleased. 

Isn't that the truth, can only catch whats there. 

Aren't the Cod somewhat of a myth that way? I hear that Kent Cod fishing is all but dead Dungeoness being one of the country's top marks upto a few years ago, been the same here for as long as I can remember bar the one year when 2lbers flooded pretty much everywhere.. 

Every year a big Cod is caught in the Solent and every year the flotilla of small private and charter boats decent from nearby harbours.. flying out to catch the one fish thats already been caught.  

Is it the warming seas? Though saying that Chesil does well later summer early winter for Cod so does sea temp have much to do with it??

6 minutes ago, Tadpole said:

Isn't that the truth, can only catch whats there. 

Aren't the Cod somewhat of a myth that way? I hear that Kent Cod fishing is all but dead Dungeoness being one of the country's top marks upto a few years ago, been the same here for as long as I can remember bar the one year when 2lbers flooded pretty much everywhere.. 

Every year a big Cod is caught in the Solent and every year the flotilla of small private and charter boats decent from nearby harbours.. flying out to catch the one fish thats already been caught.  

Is it the warming seas? Though saying that Chesil does well later summer early winter for Cod so does sea temp have much to do with it??

The cod in the south east are long gone, they were never great size but good numbers, you could catch a dozen or so codling per trip.

At that time roker were few and far between, if you caught one per trip you were please. Now it’s not uncommon to catch 30-40 on a short session. Something has caused the change, one species has benefited from the others decline it seems. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

The cod in the south east are long gone, they were never great size but good numbers, you could catch a dozen or so codling per trip.

At that time roker were few and far between, if you caught one per trip you were please. Now it’s not uncommon to catch 30-40 on a short session. Something has caused the change, one species has benefited from the others decline it seems. 

I was under the impression that the Cod from some marks along the Kent coast often threw up big doubles.. I had read once that the Cod could be physically seen arriving by the shoulder to shoulder anglers hooking up as shoals worked along the beach, domino effect..

I've always seen decent numbers of Thornies but the bounce back of Undies has been related to commercials no longer targeting them. Mother nature readdressing the balance.. ??

Right im out to tickle some Bass!! 👌

32 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Do you call all rays roker, or just thornies

Only thornback. We don’t get any other skate species here except stingray with St Osyth being renowned for them. 

Blonde rays are caught from the Kent coast off the Goodwin sands I think. 
Thornback is sold locally as skate by the commercial boats but at Billingsgate if you are buying skate it will probably be blonde. (Raja brackyura, for fistys benefit because he can be a knob) 

23 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ahh so roker = thornback ray . 
we've been through this with Jon before, and never did get a straight answer. 
seems it a common term in the back end of nowhere where Jon is from, but in normal land it’s not a term we use. 

D7C45FBD-F1CC-4A84-89DE-3DE1E4A45DF7.thumb.png.e5a628bf84cfd1298259c2a2c7610f65.png