Left handed ?? Why?

I’m right handed, but reel with my left hand. @GPSguru thinks only the invalids should left hand wind. But I’d argue that. 
My strongest arm is my right, so it’s natural to hold the rod in the right and reel with the left, after all most strength when fishing is needed in holding the rod, not turning the handle. 
What are your thoughts (on the thread,not me being a spaz)?

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

I’m right handed, but reel with my left hand. @GPSguru thinks only the invalids should left hand wind. But I’d argue that. 
My strongest arm is my right, so it’s natural to hold the rod in the right and reel with the left, after all most strength when fishing is needed in holding the rod, not turning the handle. 

If you are at the point where you are struggling to lift the dead weight of the whatever you’ve hooked into then lift with two hands, and reel in as you lower the rod with one hand? 

Let's look at the facts:

• Fixed Spool reels are designed to be reeled with the left hand and the rod held in the right (ok, you can swap the handle to the other side but who does that?)
  • Fly reels are designed to be reeled/palmed with the left and the rod held in the right.
  • Left-handed multi's are designed to be reeled wiht the left and the rod held in the right.

Right handed multi's are the odd ones out here. I rest my case...

Having long been a coarse angler before I ever ventured into the world of multipliers, I found the switch extremely awkward, especially having to do the line lay as well.

However, after a while it just became second nature. I have caught blues to 100lb, tope to 50lb using multipliers with no issues. However, I can't for the life of me use a fixed spool with RH wind!! Something in my brain makes it work, maybe because the rod is upside down as well? Who knows....

I have mates that have to have LH multipliers and to me it just doesn't feel right, and have to hold the rod the right way up (rings down)......

What I don't get is the thinking behind spiral rung rods, the whole point being to take the strain off of the whippings

23 minutes ago, JonC said:

The multiplier needs to be controlled far more than a fixed spool reel so it’s designed for normal humans to use with their more dexterous hand. 

We're in danger of agreeing with each other Jon. The control required is in respect of controlling the spool to avoid a birdsnest, which us normal humans do with our more dexterous right hand thumbs whilst our right hands are holding the rod and which leaves our left hands free for reeling.

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

We're in danger of agreeing with each other Jon. The control required is in respect of controlling the spool to avoid a birdsnest, which us normal humans do with our more dexterous right hand thumbs whilst our right hands are holding the rod and which leaves our left hands free for reeling.

When you cast a multi in the reel up position ( as a normal person) the right hand/thumb covers the spool

Just now, JonC said:

When you cast a multi ( as a normal person) the right hand/thumb covers the spool

Same as us normal lefties. We don't cast with our left hands, we just reel with them. You lot have to switch the rod into your left hand to start reeling. For us we can cast and then reel without having to move the rod from right hand to left.

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Same as us normal lefties. We don't cast with our left hands, we just reel with them. You lot have to switch the rod into your left hand to start reeling. For us we can cast and then reel without having to move the rod from right hand to left.

Yeah because it’s a massive inconvenience taking your hand off of the rod and putting it on the reel. 

Are you honestly trying to tell me that your left hand stays on the reel all the time? 
Why are you trying to defend such a weak position? 

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

A very poor selection of words there Neil (invalid &spaz ) not all blue badge disabilities are visible.

Rods are normally used in the natural strongest hand, and the reels are handed to suit. So, a freshwater rod will be normally used in the right hand for the majority of people, therefore the reels is left handed to be used by the left hand.

As I am naturally left handed, the right hand multi is perfect. I hold the rod in the left hand and reel with the right. Perfectly natural for ME.

However, being ambidextrous I don’t have any issues with left handed egg whisks, but I do find a left handed multi strange.

Edited by GPSguru

Just now, GPSguru said:

Yes I do, but others might not 😉

Well they will eventually learn. And hopefully they read the intro “about offshore outlaws”. No offence is ever meant, it’s off the cuff comments not deeply thought out insults. Call it playground humour if you wish. 

#ducksforciverbeforethepcbrigadejumpin

1 minute ago, JonC said:

I personally was shocked by it and offended on behalf of someone I don’t know

Well that’s to be expected from you Jon. But then we all know your blue badge application is based around your lack of humour. 

Just now, JonC said:

If it’s that hard to use a normal person reel how do people manage to drive cars? @Andy135 Don’t tell me, you’ve got a left hand drive TR7? 

Normal is holding the rod in your strongest arm. Which is (for me) my right arm, because I’m right handed. People that are right handed but hold in their left are the non normals!

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Normal is holding the rod in your strongest arm. Which is (for me) my right arm, because I’m right handed. People that are right handed but hold in their left are the non normals!

No that’s just confused and cack handed. 
Why do you need to hold the rod in your strongest hand? 

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

No that’s just confused and cack handed. 
Why do you need to hold the rod in your strongest hand? 

Because it was the norm with coarse, fly rods, and beachcadters. 

It was more to do with casting than playing a fish 😉

Edited by GPSguru

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Because it was the norm with coarse, fly rods, and beachcadters.

Is there any difference in strength? I thought it was just dexterity that varied

27 minutes ago, JonC said:

Are you honestly trying to tell me that your left hand stays on the reel all the time? 

For us normal people the rod stays on our right hand side all the time and only our left hand has to move from the rod butt to the reel handle - no faffing about switching the rod from one side of our body to the other.

Or are you one of those goons that tucks the rod under their right arm whilst winding with their right hand? Now that's plain odd!

• Andy135 locked, pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Andy135 unlocked this topic