New pb bass

Plaicehunter

This report was exciting on the first read, the second it was even better. Especially with the added photo evidence. A great catch indeed, well done! I don’t have a length to weight chart handy, so what did it weigh? Around 11lb?

Lovely fish, you certainly know you have been a battle of wills when a nice bass hits your line,making me jealous sitting at home with F6 wind blowing.

Steve

Apologies for the duplicated report. I got a bit excited!

I weighed the fish in a wet sling but only on a spring balance with 8oz gradations. It was somewhere between 10.5lb and 11lb. I think later in the year and in peak condition it would have gone nearly 13lb. It had a massive frame and the tail was a real paddle. PH

3 minutes ago, Plaicehunter said:

Apologies for the duplicated report. I got a bit excited!

I weighed the fish in a wet sling but only on a spring balance with 8oz gradations. It was somewhere between 10.5lb and 11lb. I think later in the year and in peak condition it would have gone nearly 13lb. It had a massive frame and the tail was a real paddle. PH

That’s why I said 11lb because even though it had good length the thickness was a bit lacking. But a proper good fish for so early in the season. 

20 hours ago, Plaicehunter said:

My boat is pretty stable, but there was plenty of rock and roll this morning on my local estuary, with a vicious wind battering against the flooding tide.

After two hours, one move and many lure changes, I finally felt a bump on my Megabass Flatbacker. The fish didn't stick, and a schoolie hooked a few casts later came unstuck, but it was vaguely encouraging.

Suddenly the lure stopped with a bang and a heavy fish tore off downtide with the reel wailing.

My main concern was the bass coming off, as I fish barbless, but I convinced myself that if I kept a tight line it would be OK.

Eventually the fish stopped and I began to work it back amid several more runs.

Then it surfaced in a mighty swirl, there was a lot of head-shaking, a tail like a shovel waved me goodbye and it tore off again.

All the time I was talking to the fish, telling it I wasn't going to hurt it and that I would put it back.

Eventually it surfaced and I saw for the first time how big it was. At least if it fell off now I would know what I'd lost!

Fortunately it didn't come off, I didn't bungle the netting and one of  the biggest bass I've ever seen was heaved aboard.

The lure fell out in the net and I transferred the fish into a big garden bin of sea water I keep on board. Only the front half fitted in, but at least it could breathe while I sorted out the equipment.

My new red metre ruler was unfolded and the fish measured at a mighty 80cm, nose to tail-tip. It eclipsed my previous one, a fish of 8lb 6oz caught last year not far away.

I desperately wanted the bass to swim away strongly and it did, none the worse for its brief encounter with me.

A new personal best and a fabulous fish which I'll never forget!

00013IMG_00013_BURST20210505104818.jpg

Well done Graham, epic, a fish of dreams.

It took me 30 years to get a boat double (10lb 2oz) , but have had loads off the wrecks just under that very magical 10lb. 

Very well done indeed 👍