Buying from USA on Ebay

Dicky

Any one done it and what's the chances of being hit with tax? looking at some harnesses and their a lot cheaper than uk prices. when i got to checkout price had gone up but unsure if that was due to tax being added, if not then you get hit with tax saving is not so great.

@jonnyswamp and I recently bought Lenco LED switch panels for trim tabs from the same eBay seller in the US. It was part of a global shipping program which took care of the import taxes and delivery, and arrived on time. Still cheaper than buying the same item in the UK - saved something close to £150.

But if you're only buying to save money, it may not be such a good deal if you ever need to return an item or make a warranty claim. Much easier to do this if the seller is UK based. Worth bearing in mind if it's a high value item.

I’ve purchased plenty of items on eBay from the states. Never been charged any extra taxes. I think it depends on the vigilance of your sorting office and what’s being sent. Somethings are more flagged than others. But as Andy says, returns could be an issue so choose carefully. 

On 5/15/2021 at 10:48 AM, jonnyswamp said:

On ebay, any taxes or handling charges are displayed at the checkout

If buying direct from shop/supplier, ask them to send it as a gift

Most won't, but some do so worth an email

i thought the post from there was a bit steep now i know why