Impulse buying (sort of)

Just spotted an old favourite boat for sale and arranged a look for tomorrow morning. These are classic boats well known for rough water handling but a little old in the tooth as you can see by the old 140 two smoke merc. I would most likely remove the engine but the fact there is nothing in the secondhand range available and the even new ones has gotten me wondering if anyone has any experience with these old engines. This one is actually low hours and been stored away in a garage for many years (boat and engine). I can sell my current boat pretty easy but would buy this first in order to swap a few bits over. Not 100% made my mind up but will take a deposit in the morning and see how it is.

Anyone had an old 140, I did have a merc 90 that never let me down apart from the smell!!!

3 minutes ago, JDP said:

Just spotted an old favourite boat for sale and arranged a look for tomorrow morning. These are classic boats well known for rough water handling but a little old in the tooth as you can see by the old 140 two smoke merc. I would most likely remove the engine but the fact there is nothing in the secondhand range available and the even new ones has gotten me wondering if anyone has any experience with these old engines. This one is actually low hours and been stored away in a garage for many years (boat and engine). I can sell my current boat pretty easy but would buy this first in order to swap a few bits over. Not 100% made my mind up but will take a deposit in the morning and see how it is.

Anyone had an old 140, I did have a merc 90 that never let me down apart from the smell!!!

There’s nothing here Jon🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

IIRC Haines boats are very sort after in oz due to their build quality, performance, and sea keeping, so I reckon you will provably go for it.

Is that engine an Optimax direct injection 2T ?

It's a direct injection, they run these with up to 225 on the back of these 17's. I would be looking at possibly refitting with a Yam f130, Merc 135, merc 150 4 stroke. I must admit I would like to fit it out for fast runs out to the sea mounts, so more power that could run at less rpm would be best. The cost of refitting means the hull would need to be 100% as things soon start getting up around a new outfit price.

34 minutes ago, JDP said:

It's a direct injection, they run these with up to 225 on the back of these 17's. I would be looking at possibly refitting with a Yam f130, Merc 135, merc 150 4 stroke. I must admit I would like to fit it out for fast runs out to the sea mounts, so more power that could run at less rpm would be best. The cost of refitting means the hull would need to be 100% as things soon start getting up around a new outfit price.

The cowl looked like the later optimax DI engine, but 140 is an unusual size, normally here in the uk they were 130 or 150 2.3L V6

These are good engines and were derived from the Mercury racing engines. Very reliable, but tended to be heavy on 2T oil.

Edited by GPSguru

Looked at the boat, which had had a pretty hard life of being bashed on its trailer (fair amount of hull repair work). So with the cost of a new motor, floor work to take a bigger long range fuel tank as well as some transom repairs and alterations it simply wouldn't be cost effective, so walked away from that one. I honestly cant think of any part of the boat that didn't need work.

Its amazing how people manipulate the truth when it comes down to it.

Trailer stated to be brand new, yet it was 4 yrs old and had a fair few rusty sections and poorly set up (hence the bashed up hull).

$2000 lowrance gps sonar, turned out to be a $500 unit.

$1600 hydraulic steering recently fitted, well the owner before this owner had it fitted which was lower cost version of the $950 hydraulics I recently put I my boat.

Always stored in a garage, yet there was no room (head height) to fit in the garage where I viewed the boat. It was kept on the grass in the garden. Who knows how the previous owners stored it but water was dripping from a poorly repaired transom.

$2000 travel covers, well there was a cover on the rear that couldn't be used while driving.

Totally rewired, well maybe back in the 90's.

Flares, yes 9 years out of date.

At least it was a nice day for a 5hr car drive. I also have some sharking friends wanting to head back over as soon as they are able and I don't want to be in the middle of a big project that I cant use.