Solent double high tide ?

andyO

Hi all, might be a daft question but anyway haha,

So in Southampton we benefit from this double high tide, I understand the how and why but what I cant seem to find out is if it stays high between the 2 highs, for example:

Today there is a high tide at 10:15 and 13:15 with no reference to a low tide between ?

Does this mean it stays high for this period or would I have to go out at the first and come back at the second because there may be a dip in between ?

Any answers appreciated as always

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

This may help. This is the hydrographic office prediction for today as a graphical representation

1ADDA482-0CEE-4CDA-9437-6ABD62E5942E.png.576c1dd171c0d452ddf91cc27894c34a.png

Now thats exactly what I was looking for, perfect 👌

Thanks for a quick and helpful reply

its all tru that is why you can get straned easerly around here at ashlet for it is all right to use the slipway 2 hours before h/t and get back to recover 4 hours after h/t .tides and wind permitting

i might metion i have a very shallow draft.

Edited by captin slows old outlaw

46 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Have you not purchased the tide book I pointed you toward Andy? 

I was given one by the marina which is from vts, its just on every site or app I look all the times kind of conflict.

At the marina today the tide clocks said high tide at 15:00 but the apps and websites said much earlier and then the tidetimes.org was also different.

I suppose at the end of the day it is all just predictions and also different depending on your location

23 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

its all tru that is why you can get straned easerly around here at ashlet for it is all right to use the slipway 2 hours before h/t and get back to recover 4 hours after h/t .tides and wind permitting

i might metion i have a very shallow draft.

That's the kind of info I'm figuring out too, I have a very shallow draft too so from view when I'm down on the river I can skin across the shallows.

The depth sounder helps too 😁

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Andy, there is a minimal ebb in between the high tides, but it is hardly noticeable. When the ebb starts proper it does run out quickly. 

Ok thanks mate, I was told this by a local on my last mooring but I thought it was just a spring thing, every day is a learning it seems 😀

One quirk that is not often mentioned is the young flood stand,  most noticeable on spring tides. As it implies the tide will start to flood and then stop for a period before commencing the flood again GPS Guru's first graphic shows it. It can catch you out if you are in a tidal marina etc waiting for enough water to come in/out.   

Also something worth considering is this. When you see for EG... high tide 14.25 that will mean that othat is when the ebb will start, not when the tide finishes rising. If you are going to go fish a mark that fishes best on the ebb, then you need to be there about 1.5hrs before. There will still be a certain amount of “slack” water and it gives you time to position yourself correctly and not miss the golden part of the ebb. That is normally about the first hour in the solent before the tide becomes so strong you need bigger leads to hold bottom. 

17 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Also something worth considering is this. When you see for EG... high tide 14.25 that will mean that othat is when the ebb will start, not when the tide finishes rising. If you are going to go fish a mark that fishes best on the ebb, then you need to be there about 1.5hrs before. There will still be a certain amount of “slack” water and it gives you time to position yourself correctly and not miss the golden part of the ebb. That is normally about the first hour in the solent before the tide becomes so strong you need bigger leads to hold bottom. 

Does putting several weights on help? 

9 hours ago, andyO said:

I was given one by the marina which is from vts, its just on every site or app I look all the times kind of conflict.

At the marina today the tide clocks said high tide at 15:00 but the apps and websites said much earlier and then the tidetimes.org was also different.

I suppose at the end of the day it is all just predictions and also different depending on your location

do you remember the book s/f told you about, on the back page there is a list places in the solent sowing the tidal differncesin time

so very yousfall infomation, plus records and  fish identification to. my self i think of it as amust have . i forgot the sea anglers knots, plus bait presentation guide

17 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

One quirk that is not often mentioned is the young flood stand,  most noticeable on spring tides. As it implies the tide will start to flood and then stop for a period before commencing the flood again GPS Guru's first graphic shows it. It can catch you out if you are in a tidal marina etc waiting for enough water to come in/out.   

Good info thank you I will be aware

16 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ok thanks mate, I am still yet to do any fishing from the boat, I have many plans but putting them into action is another matter 😁

• 2 weeks later...