Inflatable small craft

I'm toying with the idea of a small rib or takacat that can be packed away and transported in a roof box. Anyone have any experience of these types of craft? Intended use would be sheltered waters in the south-west; River Dart, Camel estuary, Plymouth Sound etc. Would be fun for the kids and great for an afternoon's fishing without any of the hassle of trailing a boat, launch & recovery, boat storage fees etc.

Any downsides to be aware of?

• Andy135 changed the title to Inflatable small craft
4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I'm toying with the idea of a small rib or takacat that can be packed away and transported in a roof box. Anyone have any experience of these types of craft? Intended use would be sheltered waters in the south-west; River Dart, Camel estuary, Plymouth Sound etc. Would be fun for the kids and great for an afternoon's fishing without any of the hassle of trailing a boat, launch & recovery, boat storage fees etc.

You should buy a trailerable boat, something like a predator would do!! 
oh...... hang on.....

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Loads down this way mainly Honwave and Excel.

My son’s experience suggests that for one or two adults and 2 kids,  you will need at least 3.8m and at least a 9.8hp engine, preferably a 15, both of which a heavy and become a chore.

Once you have the packed boat on the roof (I doubt it would fit in a roof box) and 10hp of finest merc in the boot, there is not a lot of room for much else. He used to leave his company astra est at home and borrow my V70 !

most of the places you mention have hire boats at reasonable rates.

Edited by GPSguru

14 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

most of the places you mention have hire boats at reasonable rates.

I've only seen the hire boats on the Dart and they're all 4m-ish GRP cuddy boats. What attracts me to a rib is the ease of entry/exit for the kids swimming and snorkelling in an estuary or sheltered bay.

Based on the (little) research I've done a 3.8m would indeed be a minimum along with a 10hp o/b, and probably with a pair of launching wheels so that I could wheel the boat back to the car and avoid having to carry the o/b any great distance.

Just noodling on the idea at present, but I know the kids would love it... 

43 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I've only seen the hire boats on the Dart and they're all 4m-ish GRP cuddy boats. What attracts me to a rib is the ease of entry/exit for the kids swimming and snorkelling in an estuary or sheltered bay.

Based on the (little) research I've done a 3.8m would indeed be a minimum along with a 10hp o/b, and probably with a pair of launching wheels so that I could wheel the boat back to the car and avoid having to carry the o/b any great distance.

I had a 2.3m the bag and engine (was 4hp 2S) filled my boot and more. I had to have the back seats down in an Audi A3. It wasn’t the lightest.... 

Was too small for me, 2.8m min or as Ian says, 3.2m and it’s nearly a trailer boat....

38 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

That’s why we will go with the tide and I will sit at the back poking the front person to paddle. 

My mrs wanted us (my daughter and me) to try it out yesterday. My mrs doesn’t accept the concept of tide or wind, so after paddling for about 20 minutes we got out and walked back to where we started, which was about 100 yards backwards from where we started. 
Another thing to clog up the shed, or in your case summer house. 

3 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I would avoid the ali floor option, just make sure you inflate the keel to the correct pressure. The ali floor just adds extra weight.

Also get an electric pump to make life easier. My tubes are only 2psi, and I use an electric Bravo pump. I lose a lot of air as all my chambres have over pressure valves, so warm days and cold nights can see a big pressure difference. At  11pm the night before a trip (or 6am on the day of a trip) I bring them up to pressure which slowly gets leaked out as the temp rises during the day 👍 During the summer when temps are more stable the rubes are fine.

Alternatively.... get a sit on top kayak, loadsa fun and easy to paddle 🙂 not cheap or you can hire for the day 🙂 

Edited by Odyssey

I do like the inflatable boats but in the bigger sizes. Messing about with pumping them up and carrying engines and fuel inside a car would put me off, ok in the back tray of a 4x4. 

I won one which has been under our house for about 8yrs, pretty certain it can only take 4hp, I gave up trying to sell it as nobody was interested. Still in its box never been out!!!

Had another one given to my kids which could take 10hp but after pumping it manually and walking to the lake with a 3hp they decided never again again bought a proper boat!!!...well that's not quite true, they were given another boat which is left at the lake edge, all they need to do is get the engine to it (use it once a year after the initial flurry of use!!).

A small trailer may be a better idea than trying to put it in the boot for that sort of length. Good luck with being able to lift it into a roof box!

To be a rib does it need to have a rigid hull or are the ones with an inflatable keel classed as a rib?

As kid I spent many hours on the rivers with a SIB and a seagull pushing it..... Was pretty easy to get set up, packing away was a ball ache from memory, trying to squeeze the last of the air out so it packed up nice and small. Think it was an avon.....

We used a small trailer to carry it, and the tent and all the camping gear......

Have a chat with Bruce, he uses one a lot as well

41 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

A small trailer may be a better idea than trying to put it in the boot for that sort of length. Good luck with being able to lift it into a roof box!

To be a rib does it need to have a rigid hull or are the ones with an inflatable keel classed as a rib?

I'm pretty sure a rib is Rigid inflatable boat and the sib is a small inflatable boat (without rigid hull) 

Trailering is out of the question... it's a pack-away boat or nowt.

Looking at the Tarkacats, they seem very packable into two separate bags. Biggest of the two bags is 120cmx35x35 for the 3.8m version IIRC. Easily get that in a roof box, then engine in the boot with fuel tank and fishing gear. 

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Trailering is out of the question... it's a pack-away boat or nowt.

Looking at the Tarkacats, they seem very packable into two separate bags. Biggest of the two bags is 120cmx35x35 for the 3.8m version IIRC. Easily get that in a roof box, then engine in the boot with fuel tank and fishing gear. 

It would seem that you have asked a question and ignored all the good advice that these knowledgeable people have given. Just saying. 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

It would seem that you have asked a question and ignored all the good advice that these knowledgeable people have given. Just saying. 

I asked about boats that can be packed away. Instead I got people telling me I should get a kayak or a trailer boat. Tell me Jon, why exactly I should take heed of "good advice" that doesn't answer the question. Just saying.

Just now, Andy135 said:

I asked about boats that can be packed away. Instead I got people telling me I should get a kayak or a trailer boat. Tell me Jon, why exactly I should take heed of "good advice" that doesn't answer the question. Just saying.

No, you are in fact ‘just asking’🤣

But, to drag this back on topic as I always do a couple of guys who are at the sailing club this week (it’s cadet week) have fairly inexpensive rigid deck inflatables which they run 9.9s on, they seem to be ok. I’ll ask this evening about how easy they are in real life to use out of a car boot.