What’s the best way to…..

its highly unlikely to trip anyway, as chances are it'll land on top of the chain as per the 1st pic, preventing it from tripping.....

as for getting it over the bow roller with the chain, not sure that's possible?

my friend gave up on using his bow roller and windlass totally and now hauls to the side of the boat. 

and i swapped my danforth for a delta as it didnt sit in the alderney ring very well

sorry not much help!

Could you use a short wire bond ? Maybe the length of the anchor plus a couple of inches. It could be secured on the hook end and cable tied along the shank and it wouldn’t be so thick as to obstruct the anchor. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Rig my danforth anchor to trip? 
I have tried various ways to run the chain but it just won’t sit in the bow roller properly. As in it won’t come through. Any ideas.??2864A9A5-D76B-4D27-9AB3-172FF79AA6FC.jpeg.1220d7a37d2502f22eba64d1180ef768.jpeg

631CCF71-26B6-4F02-ABEC-DA3E071100D0.jpeg.c42433ab1b773a0f19d1cab0f2299e6f.jpeg

Crap anchors at the best of times, throw it away and get a plough type then cable tie chain along shank.

49 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Why not just shackle to chain to the end with a smallish suitable shackle and then cable tie the chain to the shaft, leaving at least one link of slack.

That is how mine is rigged.

Because when using a windlass and self launch bow roller the chain won’t sit right, Neil’s boat has a roller integrated into the bottle nose that needs the anchor to sit correctly when stowed. 

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Why not just shackle to chain to the end with a smallish suitable shackle and then cable tie the chain to the shaft, leaving at least one link of slack.

That is how mine is rigged.

Well that’s what I was trying to do. But because the chain then comes off the top of the anchors shaft and not the middle (as it would if shackled to the rear eye), the anchor shaft end hits the roller but won’t pass over. After much thinking and swearing and cable ties, I have now tied the chain to the top of the shaft and one link around the shaft end bend, this then helps the transition back onto the self roller. 
Hope that makes sense? 
ive used 4 x 8mm cable ties so hopefully it will be man enough to hold in the tide.

2 hours ago, mick said:

Crap anchors at the best of times, throw it away and get a plough type then cable tie chain along shank.

So far for the past two seasons I’ve used it Mick, it’s been the best anchor I’ve had and it’s never slipped. And never failed to retrieve. 

36 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

So far for the past two seasons I’ve used it Mick, it’s been the best anchor I’ve had and it’s never slipped. And never failed to retrieve. 

It even catches things for you.

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

ive used 4 x 8mm cable ties so hopefully it will be man enough to hold in the tide.

That will be plenty, probably OTT

Most folk just use 1 cable tie that goes around twice and crossed over itself, even that can be tough to break out in anger.

4 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That will be plenty, probably OTT

Most folk just use 1 cable tie that goes around twice and crossed over itself, even that can be tough to break out in anger.

Well when I was trying different configurations of tying off 3 snapped just getting the anchor onto the roller. Hence 4 we’re used. 

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Do plumbers use cable ties??

These came from RS components, a respected electrical suppliers I think you’ll find. 

True.  Yes, I use RS and also Farnell.

Does the anchor shaft have sharp edges ?

Edit, looking at the picture it seems the bar section has quite pronounced edges, whereas most Bruce anchors are cast and have rounded edges on the shaft.

Edited by GPSguru

I use thousands of cable ties for debris netting at work, they are about 5mm. 
I can usually pull for a break with them if I have a decent grip on the netting. 
Im probably in one of the few trades that actually take them off regularly, an electricity for example would generally only fit them, maybe cutting the odd one or two off now and then.