Solent bomb disposal

Andy135

8 minutes ago, JonC said:

I worked on the castle cement jetty at Purfleet, dredgers bring unexploded ordinance in every week, the disposal people were up and down all the time 

There must be shed-loads of UXB's round your way given your proximity to mainland Europe and that you're pretty much en route to London from Germany.

13 hours ago, Andy135 said:

There must be shed-loads of UXB's round your way given your proximity to mainland Europe and that you're pretty much en route to London from Germany.

I believe the USAAF dropped more bombs on rural East Anglia than anyone else during WW2 lol

I believe there also some coastal drop zones for returning aircraft as it was considered too dangerous to land with boms still onboard. Seem to recall the dissappearance of Buddy Holly was due to his aircraft being bombed out of the sky by overhead Bombers.........

I was surfing once at Compton Bay IOW, and we were all ordered out of the water, and marched up the road while the MOD detonated an unexploded bomb on the beach (they brought it there to detonate) - great sight to see, but the raining shingle not so much fun!

I've also seen one done by the French navy when returning from Le Mans - the ferry was diverted to a safe distance, but timing was perfect as we passed.