another (very) late one....

thejollysinker

becoming a habit this (late reports) but here goes...

managed to get out on the sunday (17th) after we had that lovely settled spell when I had to work on the house and that was the only day I had left to go, even though the forecast wasn't great shall we say.

Set off just as the sun was rising and the fog was hurtling down the river and emerged into what looked like a promisingly calm sea with a long swell so whacked the throttle open but by the time I was about 3miles out the sea just got worse and worse so slowed to a 14 knot crawl to the wreck I fancied. About 40 mins after setting off I arrived at the wreck and circled it with bugger all showing on the sounder but you never know so started a drift. Was off a bit so circled around for another go and got it right but only managed a a few macks. Looking up I saw a boat steaming towards me, diesel powered pouring black smoke like a good un. I was about to circle back around as they arrived (thought they were fishers) but they just plonked themselves over the wreck, dropped a dhan buoy and tooted their horn as if to say 'fuck off!' Well, to say I was pissed off was an understatement...

I had planned to anchor up somewhere anyway so I scoured the map and set off North to some 'undulating' ground ('bout the best you can hope for in these parts) and found a likely looking spot after motoring about seemingly aimlessly for an hour. Dropped anchor and set up two downtide rods and two uptiders. My rod holders are bolt on types to the rails and after checking them for tightness was satisfied they were secure. The macky rod I leave over the side to work itself produced a good few plus some nice Grey Gurnards (boy do they fight for their size). 

The other rods started producing the usual suspects (dogfish) and all the drags were set with ratchets on.... I had just put one rod down and was fiddling with setting it right when I heard the ratchet go behind me only to spin round and see my uptider with Abu 7500 in the sea disappearing fast... wtf?

I instantly got my macky rod in, whacked on fixed spool reel with braid and proceeded to cast out as far as I could in the general direction of the missing rod. After an hour I had given up all hope of retrieving it but cught several macks and Greys in the process of dragging the bottom with a jig. 

A combination of high leverage against what I thought was a safe amount of drag ( the weather had deteriorated by now and the boat was rocking considerably in a wind over situation) resulted in a fish being hooked (I think) and just yanked it so hard the rest spun horizontal and off it sailed....

anyway, I stuck it out for another two hours for nothing special and motored in for a drift on an inshore wreck which produced nothing (Bass this time last year) so with that I headed in getting a lot of spray from the swell on the port side.

Was glad to get in and the harbour was a different place again, sheltered with lots of warm sun as the fog had long gone.

Who knows when the next trip will be with the horrible weather at the moment but I feel a shore trip coming on....

Pic 1 was going out with the fog racing down the river and pic 3 showed how clear it was out at sea with Teignmouth harbour right in the middle cloaked in fog. Pic two was a double shot of Greys, beautiful fish.

PS. sorry for the lack of photos of big fish... the big one got away...with my rod 🤣

Untitled-7.png

Untitled-8.png

Untitled-9.png

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Shame about the rod and reel. I know that gutted feeling all too well after loosing a spinning rod and 4000 fs shimano over the side this year! ☹️

bummer 🙁 

already got a replacement reel and waiting on a new rod... the joy that shopping for new tackle brings 🤣

5 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

bummer 🙁 

already got a replacement reel and waiting on a new rod... the joy that shopping for new tackle brings 🤣

Yes, we must always look at and enjoy the plus side. 
Not that we need an excuse to purchase new stuff! 

2 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

becoming a habit this (late reports) but here goes...

managed to get out on the sunday (17th) after we had that lovely settled spell when I had to work on the house and that was the only day I had left to go, even though the forecast wasn't great shall we say.

Set off just as the sun was rising and the fog was hurtling down the river and emerged into what looked like a promisingly calm sea with a long swell so whacked the throttle open but by the time I was about 3miles out the sea just got worse and worse so slowed to a 14 knot crawl to the wreck I fancied. About 40 mins after setting off I arrived at the wreck and circled it with bugger all showing on the sounder but you never know so started a drift. Was off a bit so circled around for another go and got it right but only managed a a few macks. Looking up I saw a boat steaming towards me, diesel powered pouring black smoke like a good un. I was about to circle back around as they arrived (thought they were fishers) but they just plonked themselves over the wreck, dropped a dhan buoy and tooted their horn as if to say 'fuck off!' Well, to say I was pissed off was an understatement...

I had planned to anchor up somewhere anyway so I scoured the map and set off North to some 'undulating' ground ('bout the best you can hope for in these parts) and found a likely looking spot after motoring about seemingly aimlessly for an hour. Dropped anchor and set up two downtide rods and two uptiders. My rod holders are bolt on types to the rails and after checking them for tightness was satisfied they were secure. The macky rod I leave over the side to work itself produced a good few plus some nice Grey Gurnards (boy do they fight for their size). 

The other rods started producing the usual suspects (dogfish) and all the drags were set with ratchets on.... I had just put one rod down and was fiddling with setting it right when I heard the ratchet go behind me only to spin round and see my uptider with Abu 7500 in the sea disappearing fast... wtf?

I instantly got my macky rod in, whacked on fixed spool reel with braid and proceeded to cast out as far as I could in the general direction of the missing rod. After an hour I had given up all hope of retrieving it but cught several macks and Greys in the process of dragging the bottom with a jig. 

A combination of high leverage against what I thought was a safe amount of drag ( the weather had deteriorated by now and the boat was rocking considerably in a wind over situation) resulted in a fish being hooked (I think) and just yanked it so hard the rest spun horizontal and off it sailed....

anyway, I stuck it out for another two hours for nothing special and motored in for a drift on an inshore wreck which produced nothing (Bass this time last year) so with that I headed in getting a lot of spray from the swell on the port side.

Was glad to get in and the harbour was a different place again, sheltered with lots of warm sun as the fog had long gone.

Who knows when the next trip will be with the horrible weather at the moment but I feel a shore trip coming on....

Pic 1 was going out with the fog racing down the river and pic 3 showed how clear it was out at sea with Teignmouth harbour right in the middle cloaked in fog. Pic two was a double shot of Greys, beautiful fish.

PS. sorry for the lack of photos of big fish... the big one got away...with my rod 🤣

Untitled-7.png

Untitled-8.png

Untitled-9.png

Yes, I saw you coming back onto your mooring in the afternoon and wondered how you had done.

IIRC the sea was about 0.8m - 1m, so not very comfortable at all.

I assume the boat you are referring to was 'Sea Quest' which is a dive boat out of Teignmouth, they also are heavily involved with the seine boat rowing races and act as a rescue / marshalling boat. I have had cross words on the radio with them in the past, and have made it clear that if they call me on the radio and tell me their intentions, then I will move, if not, then I will made life ferk'in difficult and move under protest. However, often you are best off out of it, as the actual divers are a big risk factor.

Your rod joins the 'many' out in the bay ! .......... I have lost 2 in the last 10 years.

I assume you were out towards the Bretagne ?

20 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, I saw you coming back onto your mooring in the afternoon and wondered how you had done.

IIRC the sea was about 0.8m - 1m, so not very comfortable at all.

I assume the boat you are referring to was 'Sea Quest' which is a dive boat out of Teignmouth, they also are heavily involved with the seine boat rowing races and act as a rescue / marshalling boat. I have had cross words on the radio with them in the past, and have made it clear that if they call me on the radio and tell me their intentions, then I will move, if not, then I will made life ferk'in difficult and move under protest. However, often you are best off out of it, as the actual divers are a big risk factor.

Your rod joins the 'many' out in the bay ! .......... I have lost 2 in the last 10 years.

I assume you were out towards the Bretagne ?

Yes, that was the wreck. I didn't fancy tussling with humans underwater as I wanted fish. I presumed that once they had put the dive flag up it was game over. I wanted to anchor up but the current wasn't pushing enough so was gonna drift it and wait, but there you go 🤷‍♂️

I plan to leash my rods from now on, 👍

20 hours ago, Andy135 said:

No! Sorry for your loss 🤣

Another Outlaws rod overboard this season. Must be something in the water.

Good write up though. Shame about the dive boat but well done for persevering. 👍

Cheers mate 👍

Is there a way to put a short video clip up? I have some footage of the trip back in which shows how rough it was (and how stupid I am 🤣

4 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

Cheers mate 👍

Is there a way to put a short video clip up? I have some footage of the trip back in which shows how rough it was (and how stupid I am 🤣

The best way is to upload videos to YouTube, and then copy the link and paste onto your post here. 

39 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

Cheers mate 👍

Yep, as Neil says, upload it to YouTube then embed it into a post. Instructions here: 

14knt crawl….. I’ll let @mike farrants comment on that 🤔🤣

Nice report 🙂 Shame about the divers. 

In fortunate around west wales there is a good relationship with the dive boats. They are a happy to share the reefs/wrecks. If there are fishing boats around they’ll call on radio and ask to have it over slack water. Or if they are on it they’ll let you have it when tide running hard…. Personally I’m nice to them as I want a nice lobster and lost gesr off them… so far I’ve had lost gear, they ain’t keen on sharing lobsters sadly 🤣🤣🤣

14knts........ jeez - slow down - "mind your wash...." 

the only time i get 14 knots is when i forget to turn off my Navionics and drive home form the marina........ 🙂

1.4knots much more like it!

🤣

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

14knt crawl….. I’ll let @mike farrants comment on that 🤔🤣

Nice report 🙂 Shame about the divers. 

In fortunate around west wales there is a good relationship with the dive boats. They are a happy to share the reefs/wrecks. If there are fishing boats around they’ll call on radio and ask to have it over slack water. Or if they are on it they’ll let you have it when tide running hard…. Personally I’m nice to them as I want a nice lobster and lost gesr off them… so far I’ve had lost gear, they ain’t keen on sharing lobsters sadly 🤣🤣🤣

I get on fine with the other 2 dive boats. The divers give me the heads up on what fish have been seen, and I get loads of crab / scallops, in return for fresh mack / Bass.

I towed in one of the dive RIBS when his gearbox seized up 5 miles out.

Edited by GPSguru

On 10/30/2021 at 7:30 PM, thejollysinker said:

Looking up I saw a boat steaming towards me, diesel powered pouring black smoke like a good un. I was about to circle back around as they arrived (thought they were fishers) but they just plonked themselves over the wreck, dropped a dhan buoy and tooted their horn as if to say 'fuck off!' Well, to say I was pissed off was an understatement...

Some words of wisdom Gary,

The Bretagne is dived a lot and these days dosent fish particularly well (not like it used to 10 years ago). Next time you are there and the same thing happens, then just move 1.2Nm on a bearing of 184T, and you will be over the Peronne, on a nice day head 3.6Nm on a bearing of 088T, and you will be over the Lord Stewart.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:10 PM, GPSguru said:

Some words of wisdom Gary,

The Bretagne is dived a lot and these days dosent fish particularly well (not like it used to 10 years ago). Next time you are there and the same thing happens, then just move 1.2Nm on a bearing of 184T, and you will be over the Peronne, on a nice day head 3.6Nm on a bearing of 088T, and you will be over the Lord Stewart.

ahh, that's some kind advice there Ian, thank you for the tip/s.

It's like learning fishing all over again in a way. There was me thinking that as soon as I got a boat I'd be hauling in nice big fish every trip... still more fun than most shore trips anyway 🙂