Diesel heaters review thing.

I’ve seen this on a Facebook page, boat bits and advice. I think Fisty has dabbled in the Chinese market, there are a few available. 
https://www.vanlifeuksurvivorsguide.co.uk/post/tried-and-tested-chinese-diesel-heaters?fbclid=IwAR3v3Bd1C3Z3KoOsJwsxeN10Uvs4ryTdUXjjj-EMsVwWldCneZUIK_0eBUs

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks Jon, there are some nice pics in there to look at 👍🏻

I’m going to print them off in black and white then colour them in later with my crayons. 

My boat came with an Eberspacher unit which is great (only got a 7 day timer, not the one you can connect to your phone) and a mate who works on the rail fitted a Chinese one in his van and apart from one breakdown in 2 yrs (can't remember what the fault was, but easily rectified) he's pleased with it

For a fraction of the cost of the German models, I think it's a no brainer

Apart from the fact it's Chinese 

They don't need heaters in Africa anyway Jon

I just ordered a GSM gate opener and a free sim from Asda to go in it, should do the same thing as a Eberspacher web based controller for less than £15 compared to £300 odd

Obviously bloody Chinese and won't last, but I'll give it a try

25 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I'm interested in one of these as a winter project. Anyone recommend a reputable seller?

I bought mine from outsportexpert on eBay. Paid £98 for the basic package then bought all the ducting, outlets and insulation etc separately. I also bought a different exhaust than the standard one, only because of the access in the area I wanted to put it. I still have it and the separate fuel tank should you need one. 

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I bought mine from outsportexpert on eBay. Paid £98 for the basic package then bought all the ducting, outlets and insulation etc separately. I also bought a different exhaust than the standard one, only because of the access in the area I wanted to put it. I still have it and the separate fuel tank should you need one. 

For some reason I thought yours was an all-in-a-box version that just needed the ducting fitted. That's the type that appeals to me the most - I can fit it behind the bulkhead under the helm and route the exhaust out of the side and the warm air up through the helm to the windows.

25 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

For some reason I thought yours was an all-in-a-box version that just needed the ducting fitted. That's the type that appeals to me the most - I can fit it behind the bulkhead under the helm and route the exhaust out of the side and the warm air up through the helm to the windows.

Geoff purchased one of those mate. They were a bit too tall for me to find a suitable place for it. 

52 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Geoff purchased one of those mate. They were a bit too tall for me to find a suitable place for it. 

Yes Neil - you know me , I bought a standard red one, then saw the "suitcase" version and bought one , 10litre tank, but a bit tall and then saw a lower version with a 5 litre tank and bought that as well. I have yet to fit any of them, but have sufficient projects (boats/campervans and shed) for all three! Geoff.☺️

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

I’ve got the ducting from an old one. Keep thinking about fitting one but not done it yet.....

be interested to see how much work/cost is involved

The single worst thing is cutting a hole for the exhaust skin fitting, it is never good drilling into the boat’s gel coat outside but cutting a 50 mm core is awful. If you already have this in place it’s a doddle. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 4:30 PM, jonnyswamp said:

They don't need heaters in Africa anyway Jon

I just ordered a GSM gate opener and a free sim from Asda to go in it, should do the same thing as a Eberspacher web based controller for less than £15 compared to £300 odd

Obviously bloody Chinese and won't last, but I'll give it a try

Fitted the switch today 

A bit of simple wiring and jobs a good un

Set up is via text (you simply text the switch a series of different commands to suit how you want it set up) and it sends you a reply to confirm what you asked it to do

Its supposed to work either by ringing or texting it, it works fine by text but not by calling it

There will be some part of the instructions I haven't read properly I spect

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

Fitted the switch today 

A bit of simple wiring and jobs a good un

Set up is via text (you simply text the switch a series of different commands to suit how you want it set up) and it sends you a reply to confirm what you asked it to do

Its supposed to work either by ringing or texting it, it works fine by text but not by calling it

There will be some part of the instructions I haven't read properly I spect

The gsm module, is it the one that has to be soldered into the remote control ? If yes, was it tricky?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RTU5024-GSM-Gate-Opener-Relay-Remote-Control-Door-Access-Switch-Free-Call-UK/363067849071?hash=item548887b96f:g:nxYAAOSw9otfIBFn

This is the unit I fitted, the wiring is basic

I fitted the unit next to my Eberspacher controller to keep cable lengths down

Connect the + and - to the one plug (must be permenant live) one my heater loom this was the red wire going to the controller

Take a link from the perm live into the COM on the other plug, then run a wire from N/O and connect it into the yellow wire that goes to the controller

Th default setting is the relay only closes for half a second, this can be changed to be closed until the next command easily in the settings

I used straight crimp connectors and heat shrink

The sim card came from Asda (free) I put £1 credit on it and as long as its used at least once within 6 months, the credit just rolls over

If you set up the unit to be activated by a phone call, theoretically, the credit will last years

If you send the unit a text to start it, it replies by text to say it's on, so you'll use up your credit sooner

I can't seem to get mine to work from a phone call, only by text

Impatience on my part I would have thought

All in all, for les than £15 if it lasts a year, it's a bargain

Still bloody Chinese though