Loss of GPS

Hi all, 

I lost position on my plotter the other day. It’s a Simrad NSE 12 so the GPS is an integrated heading sensor on a NEMA2K bus. 

This is currently providing GPS to the MFD. I can probably select the GPS input from my AIS transponder which should also be on the bus…. 

My question is what else maybe they issue outside of: 

- NEMA2k bus crash

- Dodgy gps signal 

- Dodgy connection from GPS

Any further suggestions? 

If it’s the GPS I can use the AIS GPS until I get a new one… if it’s the NEMA2K bus dropping maybe more of an issue to fix…

Edited by Odyssey

21 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Hi all, 

I lost position on my plotter the other day. It’s a Simrad NSE 12 so the GPS is an integrated heading sensor on a NEMA2K bus. 

This is currently providing GPS to the MFD. I can probably select the GPS input from my AIS transponder which should also be on the bus…. 

- NEMA2k bus crash

- Dodgy gps signal 

Any further suggestions? 

If it’s the GPS I can use the AIS GPS until I get a new one… if it’s the NEMA2K bus dropping maybe more of an issue to fix…

If it is a single isolate occurrence, then I would suggest it was a software issue (crash) with either the Simrad or the heading sensor. If this is the case, then I would strongly suspect the Simrad.

It needs to happen on a regular basis before you can even think about isolating the issue

Happened once on Thursday once on weekend, power down reset fixed it.

Im adding to my electronics collection so I’m not too worried as I’ll have a 3rd source of GPS soon which is internal to plotter so worst case I can use that as my primary navigation and the others as radar/sounder… just annoying but hopefully it’s just a software crash 

I spent ages pissing about with my gps, it was intermittent and I managed to fix it to permanently fucked. I ordered a new one about 6 weeks ago but it hasn’t arrived yet. I think it was lost at the transaction stage. I’ve been camped on on my drive the entire time waiting for the delivery van, it’s really starting to affect my life now. 

DPD man was due to bring me a new wiper motor today, but he didn’t turn up and had the cheek to say I wasn’t in….

I was hoping it’d be delivered before Xmas so that I could fit it…

Why not go to chandlers, they must have one in stock surely? 🤔🤔

Just now, Odyssey said:

DPD man was due to bring me a new wiper motor today, but he didn’t turn up and had the cheek to say I wasn’t in….

I was hoping it’d be delivered before Xmas so that I could fit it…

Why not go to chandlers, they must have one in stock surely? 🤔🤔

Not at the same price he's paid they won't! 
I believe in Jon's case, patience is a virtue (that he does not posses).

6 hours ago, JonC said:

I spent ages pissing about with my gps, it was intermittent and I managed to fix it to permanently fucked. I ordered a new one about 6 weeks ago but it hasn’t arrived yet. I think it was lost at the transaction stage. I’ve been camped on on my drive the entire time waiting for the delivery van, it’s really starting to affect my life now. 

Well, my new bracket from Garmin took 2 business days, just too lazy to fit it right now.

On 12/20/2021 at 2:35 PM, Odyssey said:

Hi all, 

- NEMA2k bus crash

- Dodgy gps signal 

Any further suggestions? 

Is your plotter software the latest version? I've had random intermittent issues with my Simrad unit.  The cure was to update the software.  Not missed a beat since

2 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Is your plotter software the latest version? I've had random intermittent issues with my Simrad unit.  The cure was to update the software.  Not missed a beat since

How do you go about updating the software? 

NSE12 x2 so not sure if they have updates available…

Anyway, I’ve added another NSS7 to the collection that’s got built in GPS as a back up. I can always use GPS of my AIS…. 

I’ll keep an eye on it, hopefully was a blip