Portsmouth/Southampton questions

Malc

My trip to pompey is this weekend and as I have not been there in nearly 40 years I have been looking for eateries in the general area. 

OK I know some will slate the place but I have looked online and it's a nightmare, I would prefer somewhere other than a five guys, TGI, waga or similar for lunch or dinner on Sunday. If its dinner then I could go to Southampton as I fly back in the evening. 

Any recommendations?

31 minutes ago, Malc said:

My trip to pompey is this weekend and as I have not been there in nearly 40 years I have been looking for eateries in the general area. 

OK I know some will slate the place but I have looked online and it's a nightmare, I would prefer somewhere other than a five guys, TGI, waga or similar for lunch or dinner on Sunday. If its dinner then I could go to Southampton as I fly back in the evening. 

Any recommendations?

What do you like to eat Malc? Not specifically but more general. I'm guessing maybe decent home cooked food, or steak etc??? 
How many going and what time (lunch or dinner)?

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

What do you like to eat Malc? Not specifically but more general. I'm guessing maybe decent home cooked food, or steak etc??? 

I can only talk for Southampton!

28 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

It will probably be just me and probably dinner. I like most stuff but really like Spanish tapas, but English is good too. Saturday will probably be pub or fast food so I wanted something else on Sunday. Many thanks. 

Edited by Malc

8 minutes ago, Malc said:

It will probably be just me and probably dinner. I like most stuff but really like Spanish tapas, but English is good too. Saturday will probably be pub or fast food so I wanted something else on Sunday. Many thanks. 

Take a look at this place then. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186299-d1020160-Reviews-La_Regata_Restaurant-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html

33 minutes ago, Malc said:

Thanks, that looks great 👍 

It in the middle of the town, opposite the IOW ferry terminal. Ive not been in there for a few years but when I did last go it was excellent. 
probably around a 25-30 minute drive from the airport depending on your route. 

I'm getting the train to the airport and have to change at Southampton anyway so it looks like a good idea to eat there with it being just 5 minutes by taxi from the station. 

11 minutes ago, Malc said:

I'm getting the train to the airport and have to change at Southampton anyway so it looks like a good idea to eat there with it being just 5 minutes by taxi from the station. 

Or a 10 minute stroll!!