Thurs 19th May

GPSguru

Kin'ell, I will have to put this here, but there was no catch to report ! 🙄

Went out with Brother in law James this morning. We were hoping to go out to the 20 - 30 mile wrecks, but the sea state had other ideas, and although we were still able to do 22kts, it was just not quick enough for a morning session as we had to be back lunchtime for the tide and the school run. To do that run and get some quality fishing time in, then I need to be doing 26 - 30kts.

When leaving the slipway, we noted that the water was quite brown and there was a lot of foam / scum floating around, this normally indicates May bloom has taken hold good and proper, so my hopes of good inshore fishing were quickly diminishing !

We went to 4 inshore wrecks, covered 27nm and neither of us even got a tap on the lures. Even at 9 miles out, the water clarity was pretty grim, and I lost sight of the lure at about 3ft down. The water was that Bloom green / brown colour with those millions of silver flecks that you associate with a prominent algae bloom. It looks like the bloom is now in full swing, especially as the water temp has risen to 14C.

In desperation, on the last inshore wreck, I tried baited tinsels, the bottom 2 with squid and the top 2 with mack, but even this didn't provoke any response at all.

IIRC, this is the first blank for 3 years ......... not too shabby I suppose.

Edited by GPSguru

First blank in three years? You're just showing off now!! 😜🤣

Kudos for posting though - I'd alway rather be blanking than working. Had a mega back-to-back day of meetings today. Started in the car during the school/nursery run and didn't finish until gone 7pm. Pffft!

#slavetothegrind

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

First blank in three years? You're just showing off now!! 😜🤣

Yes, it is the first complete blank on this boat.

We can usually rustle up a Pout, Mack, or even a dogfish, but today.............nada

I think what struck me as most unusual, was the complete absence of bites, not even a tap.

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, it is the first complete blank on this boat.

We can usually rustle up a Pout, Mack, or even a dogfish, but today.............nada

I think what struck me as most unusual, was the complete absence of bites, not even a tap.

We can only catch what's there. Maybe today they just weren't.

Still good to get out though 👍

30 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Had a mega back-to-back day of meetings today. Started in the car during the school/nursery run and didn't finish until gone 7pm. Pffft!

I'm glad I left all that behind when I retired 11 years ago. These days I would probably get the sack for being a little forthright 🙄🤣

9 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

These days I would probably get the sack for being a little forthright 🙄🤣

You say that but there's a growing value in being able to tell it like it is. An example - I even saw the "ability to speak truth to power" appearing on an internal job advert earlier this week, so there's clearly an awakening about the value of hearing the reality of the situation.

I feel a shift coming in the next couple of years where the C-suite will realise the value in hearing what's happening on the ground rather than surrounding themselves with yes-men.

Not often that I disagree, but as far as I am concerned political correctness has completely overwhelmed our freedom of speech. I cannot voice my own opinions of so many things now in case it would offend somebody. It does not matter that I am offended by what goes on with the now generally "popular" attitudes and behaviour. Not meant to be political, but just telling it like it is. Sad. Geoff.

42 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Not often that I disagree, but as far as I am concerned political correctness has completely overwhelmed our freedom of speech. I cannot voice my own opinions of so many things now in case it would offend somebody. It does not matter that I am offended by what goes on with the now generally "popular" attitudes and behaviour. Not meant to be political, but just telling it like it is. Sad. Geoff.

We're in agreement then! Say what's right, not what people want to hear. 👍

I was discussing attitudes in the workplace but it's equally relevant in the public domain.

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I cannot voice my own opinions of so many things now in case it would offend somebody.

I do, I am long past caring. These days I tell it as it is, I think  the older you get, the less you can be arsed about offending some woke/green/gay/ not 25 generations of anglosaxon/activist/ gender weirdo/ etc etc............. all those types of weirdo's.

1 hour ago, mike farrants said:

cant you call it a shake down of the boat, annual sea trial, checking the running gear - washing your leads? 

werent you calibrating the rod and reel?

🤣

Right im saving up these excuses 😉

15 hours ago, Andy135 said:

We're in agreement then! Say what's right, not what people want to hear. 👍

I was discussing attitudes in the workplace but it's equally relevant in the public domain.

Not in total agreement, if I said someone's wife was a fat #*^# I might be right but I would be equally wrong. It's where you draw the line and yours (generally not personally) might differ from others. 

One blank in 3 years has to be applauded 👏 I'm hoping the bloom stays away from both the NE and NW coasts for a few weeks yet.

28 minutes ago, Malc said:

Not in total agreement, if I said someone's wife was a fat #*^# I might be right but I would be equally wrong. It's where you draw the line and yours (generally not personally) might differ from others. 

🤣 Fair point.