Suggestions for a new boat

48 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

We got chatting to your friend when we moored up on Sunday. The Ospreys were on my short-list when I was boat-hunting and his is a very nice example.

That's Ray,  very good angler and skipper.  Doesn't do social media or forums though.  I did point him this way 😊

The Osprey is a very good boat in the lumpy stuff just cuts through it.  Only trouble with them seems to come from the Yamaha leg which needs thorough servicing and periodic rebuilding. 

6 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

That's Ray,  very good angler and skipper.  Doesn't do social media or forums though.  I did point him this way 😊

The Osprey is a very good boat in the lumpy stuff just cuts through it.  Only trouble with them seems to come from the Yamaha leg which needs thorough servicing and periodic rebuilding. 

Yes, I've only ever heard horror stories about outdrive legs in general, so not totally surprised to hear you say that. It's a shame, but nothing that regular maintenance can't address.

1 hour ago, JonC said:

You didn’t have a short list, Fisty did the leg work. 

He got lucky with a link 😝. Let's face it, throw enough at the wall and something's bound to stick...

I found the Ospreys were taking my fancy before he found the Atlantis, and I was even prepared to put my "outboards only" requirement to one side for them.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Yes, I've only ever heard horror stories about outdrive legs in general, so not totally surprised to hear you say that. It's a shame, but nothing that regular maintenance can't address.

It's a very nice leg when it is working super smooth going in gear,  Ray has a spare that he rebuilds whilst one is on the boat, it can also run in the reverse direction so if you have trouble in forward you can run a LH prop in reverse

My mates leg is rebuilt every winter, it's a volvo.  Last summer it spat it's gear linkage so it was a lifeboat tow home, then out of the water at the nearest boatyard.  This, very short after lockdown, year it spat the whole prop assembly (lifeboat) then refused to lock into reverse.  It also met with a mooring line.  We couldn't get the rope off at first as it was holding us off the rocks without enough room to anchor (lifeboat again!). The rope had gone into the gap between the prop and skeg, welded to the thrust washer.  The volvo leg only raises as far as the cavitation plate, so rope removal or prop changing at sea is dangerous, sat on the bathing platform, in the swell, unable to see what your trying to work on.  An auxhillary has been tried, but lifting a 40hp over the transom and trying to drop it over a bracket on the (slippery and swell washed)  bathing platform is just daft.  This is the first boat with a leg that I've spent much time on and, considering it's a proper engineer maintaining it, I just don't trust it.  Much rather have twin outboards, where you can easily get to any problems and have the constant re-assurance of a second engine if stuck.

I had a bravo 2 on my last boat and used to spend more on that than I did on the engine but when it went it was sweet. 

A friend had an Osprey with the yammy inboard outdrive, he had 2 spare drives and lucky he did as he was always having issues.

I will never again have an outdrive through choice however, we can all be seduced by that super dupa sexy looking boat :classic_biggrin:

Legs can be ok if looked after. My boat used to have twin Yamaha legs but after spending 20k to get them fixed and reconditioned he gave up fitted a pod and twin outboards.

Offshore 25 far better boat than an osprey. Osprey doesn’t have much beam so will roll. You won’t get a good one for 20k thoigh 😞 

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

I had a bravo 2 on my last boat and used to spend more on that than I did on the engine but when it went it was sweet. 

A friend had an Osprey with the yammy inboard outdrive, he had 2 spare drives and lucky he did as he was always having issues.

I will never again have an outdrive through choice however, we can all be seduced by that super dupa sexy looking boat :classic_biggrin:

One guy we know spends 3 months a year servicing his out drives. Don’t make sense to me.That’s why I find a diesel shaft so much more appealing the servicing is a doddle and not a lot in the water to go wrong. 

Seems crazy that you need spare outdrives at home!  As much use as a chocolate teapot at sea. My little boat runs a four stroke outboard and auxhillary (no spares at home).  Will be looking at shaft drive/outboard options only.  Used to use twin two strokes, but they're out due to regular blown powerheads. We did give them some stick though!

10 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

Seems crazy that you need spare outdrives at home!  As much use as a chocolate teapot at sea. My little boat runs a four stroke outboard and auxhillary (no spares at home).  Will be looking at shaft drive/outboard options only.  Used to use twin two strokes, but they're out due to regular blown powerheads. We did give them some stick though!

Yep, for me it's outboards only. 1. it's easier to free the prop if it gets a rope round it, and 2. it's easier (and dare I say cheaper?) to re-engine if ever the need arose.