Suggestions for a new boat

I'm looking to join forces with a mate to sell our present boats and get one replacement.  Needs to be trailerable, quick to outrun weather and get offshore, and good in the open Atlantic.  We need an older boat, nothing flash (we can both mechanic and have a huge workshop space).  Don't need a huge cabin, other than two proper seats. Cockpit needs to have space for two normally and four full.  Suggestions please?  Don't bother with suggestions such as a Hellraiser (the best, but too expensive) or similar esoteric stuff, we don't have a lot to spend.  If I had silly money I'd get a Rodman 1250 and live offshore!  I've been thinking along the lines of a Pirate 21 or similar?  We have a bay boat and Task Force 30ft at present, which covers us for bays wherever (trailer), but restricts our offshore work to an area limited by the capabilities of the Task Force (slow) and inability to trailer it.

Orkney Pilothouse 20 or Day Angler 19 or 21. 

Pirate 21 nice boats but can be a bit heavy to trailer but good sea keeping.

Quicksilver 640 another option but a lot of this will depend on your budget 

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

How about an Atlantis 26? I know a guy who’s got one but he’s thinking of an upgrade shortly. 

It needs to be trailed Neil - mind you if he can wait a while I do know of a "Fenline" going cheap. Geoff.☺️ 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

How about an Atlantis 26? I know a guy who’s got one but he’s thinking of an upgrade shortly. 

Not bloody likely! She's a keeper!

....for now... 😉

2 hours ago, SiDfish said:

I'm looking to join forces with a mate to sell our present boats and get one replacement.  Needs to be trailerable, quick to outrun weather and get offshore, and good in the open Atlantic.  We need an older boat, nothing flash (we can both mechanic and have a huge workshop space).  Don't need a huge cabin, other than two proper seats. Cockpit needs to have space for two normally and four full.  Suggestions please?  Don't bother with suggestions such as a Hellraiser (the best, but too expensive) or similar esoteric stuff, we don't have a lot to spend.  If I had silly money I'd get a Rodman 1250 and live offshore!  I've been thinking along the lines of a Pirate 21 or similar?  We have a bay boat and Task Force 30ft at present, which covers us for bays wherever (trailer), but restricts our offshore work to an area limited by the capabilities of the Task Force (slow) and inability to trailer it.

The Pirate 21 was my front runner when I was looking for my next boat. As it happens I went for something that's basically a bigger version of the Pirate 21.

The Pirate is fast, trailerable and can take a lot of sea. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better boat for the money, and if you're selling two boats to buy one, there's a good chance you can get one for low £20k's. You might have to wait for the right boat to come along though. They didn't make a lot of them, and they don't come onto the market that often - I guess because their owners like to keep hold of them.

The Pirate 21 centre console and the Ribcraft 585 were my final two choices when I got my boat in 2019 ................ in the end I went for ta new Ribcraft, but it could have gone either way .............. the Pirate is an excellent boat ........ heavy build & very deep Vee, but like all Deep Vee boats they need a lot of HP ........... I would be looking for 225 or 250 on a pirate 21 ................

I'm afraid I've had enough of the slamming in RIBs, burying them in waves, and getting airborne in the dark.  Long patrols on a fast RIB totally f....d my lower legs and knees, blood clots and all!  They're great for seakeeping and stupid fast work in calm water, but those days are behind me.  We really need a cabin here, just to get out of the weather and keep away from the inevitable 'wave over the bow'

1 hour ago, SiDfish said:

I'm afraid I've had enough of the slamming in RIBs, burying them in waves, and getting airborne in the dark.  Long patrols on a fast RIB totally f....d my lower legs and knees, blood clots and all!  They're great for seakeeping and stupid fast work in calm water, but those days are behind me.  We really need a cabin here, just to get out of the weather and keep away from the inevitable 'wave over the bow'

What’s the budget?

8 hours ago, SiDfish said:

They're great for seakeeping and stupid fast work in calm water, but those days are behind me.  We really need a cabin here, just to get out of the weather and keep away from the inevitable 'wave over the bow'

These days i am very much a fine weather fisherman ....................no cabin for me, I don't go out if it looks like rain, or there is more than a 1m swell .............

Yes, push any boat hard enough, and they all slam, probably more so in RIB's because their sea keeping allows you to push them a lot harder ............ I have been airborne a few times in 1.5m sea's at 30knts, especially when you find a big  hole off the crest of a swell 🤣.................

Thanks for the advice lads.  As for RIBs, we often have 2m+ swell running when it's flat calm.  I've submarined them several times, and had them 'kite' as well, usually at night, when you can't see the big waves coming!  I find they just run out of freeboard at the bow, slam as the tubes hit and almost stop, then ping back upwards.  A mate has a 24ft Osprey which (though way above our budget) just cuts through all but the big waves at high speed, and you get to sit in comfort!

On 11/7/2020 at 3:13 PM, SiDfish said:

Thanks for the advice lads.  As for RIBs, we often have 2m+ swell running when it's flat calm.  I've submarined them several times, and had them 'kite' as well, usually at night, when you can't see the big waves coming!  I find they just run out of freeboard at the bow, slam as the tubes hit and almost stop, then ping back upwards.  A mate has a 24ft Osprey which (though way above our budget) just cuts through all but the big waves at high speed, and you get to sit in comfort!

Friend of mine also has a 24ft Osprey, would be perfect for what you need just expensive.  Lovely boats though. 

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

What advice do they receive? 

They are advised of the price at which they are advertised. 
Have you nothing better to do than look through my old posts for grammatical mistakes? 
Is this because you were picked on by the English teacher at your school? 

6 minutes ago, JonC said:

They are advised of the price at which they are advertised. 
Have you nothing better to do than look through my old posts for grammatical mistakes? 
Is this because you were picked on by the English teacher at your school? 

Maybe. 🤔

20 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Friend of mine also has a 24ft Osprey, would be perfect for what you need just expensive.  Lovely boats though. 

We got chatting to your friend when we moored up on Sunday. The Ospreys were on my short-list when I was boat-hunting and his is a very nice example.

Just now, Andy135 said:

We got chatting to your friend when we moored up on Sunday. The Ospreys were on my short-list when I was boat-hunting and his is a very nice example.

You didn’t have a short list, Fisty did the leg work.