Radar ?

I've never been able to get my radar working since I've owned the boat

It hasn't been a problem, but as it has a radome I would like it to work

I'll be having a look at the wiring etc next week and if need be, the assistance of a "marine electrician" (depending on how far he wants to pull my pants down)

All my kit is Garmin, so if my dome is shot and I have to replace, is there much difference between an 18" and a 24" with regards to performance

I do all my fishing/boating in the Bristol channel, in fine weather and daylight (99% of the time) so not as busy as you English channel boys

Is the 24 worth the extra 5/600 quid ?

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

Is the 24 worth the extra 5/600 quid ?

If you are like me and a fine weather angler then it is not worth the extra cash. I went AIS instead of Radar, because I really have no need for it.

The 18" sends a 5.2 degree beam and the 24" sends a 3.7 degree beam. The narrower the beam, the more detail you get, so effectively the 24" is of higher resolution (i.e lots more detail)

Ok, thanks

I also have AIS, but don't know if it works or not

I have a small, bracket mounted "dome" with ais written on it just inside my sliding door that has a constantly flashing blue light on it

I need a visit from someone with a bit more knowledge than me

18in Radome would be fine for around our patch. 

AIS is not as much use up our end as radar as no-one seems to have it… radar picks up everything so I used to use radar more. Now I’m further west more have AIS so I use both.

It maybe you got a broken cable or similar, hopefully it’s a cheap fix!

7 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

Just turn it on, and then look at the ‘marine traffic’ app on your phone, it will show your position, speed, and track.

Edited by GPSguru

8 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

Ok, thanks

I have a small, bracket mounted "dome" with ais written on it just inside my sliding door that has a constantly flashing blue light on it

I need a visit from someone with a bit more knowledge than me

I can pop down to have a look sometime if you want? 

17 hours ago, GPSguru said:

If you are like me and a fine weather angler then it is not worth the extra cash. I went AIS instead of Radar, because I really have no need for it.

The 18" sends a 5.2 degree beam and the 24" sends a 3.7 degree beam. The narrower the beam, the more detail you get, so effectively the 24" is of higher resolution (i.e lots more detail)

It’s a Drs4w

Did you get these figures from a spec sheet or are they something you already knew? My 19” furuno dome has 7.2 degree horizontal beam. Why would it be so different to the ones you quoted? 

42 minutes ago, JonC said:

Did you get these figures from a spec sheet or are they something you already knew? My 19” furuno dome has 7.2 degree horizontal beam. Why would it be so different to the ones you quoted? 

I already knew that was the difference, but did check the actual beam widths from Garmin data.

Your Furuno might be older and technology has moved on a pace.

45 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I already knew that was the difference, but did check the actual beam widths from Garmin data.

Your Furuno might be older and technology has moved on a pace.

That would make sense then, my system was designed in 2014. 

The age old battle of AIS vs radar. 
My take on it is this, 7BCF15F3-468D-48ED-B481-28A99E89E77B.thumb.jpeg.e020d879f53da67fb685a68f49005ac1.jpegShip Finder app shows this( I know it’s not real time) whereas in reality the river looks like this ABDC69D8-A4ED-4504-92F9-4DF770ACD20F.thumb.jpeg.0d4ff2ee92567f26c8ec0a602c613ab4.jpegwith over 50 boats and more random uncharted markers that couldn’t give a fuck about you. 

6 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Just turn it on, and then look at the ‘marine traffic’ app on your phone, it will show your position, speed, and track.

Tried the marine traffic app, no joy

What I have in my cabin, is a small dome shaped thing with a blue flashing neon

There isn't any on/off switch I can see, as soon as the house batteries are switched on it illuminates

Pretty sure I have an ais box near the V berth with the rest of the electrical stuff though

I'll try and get down there and take a few pics

18 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Tried the marine traffic app, no joy

What I have in my cabin, is a small dome shaped thing with a blue flashing neon

There isn't any on/off switch I can see, as soon as the house batteries are switched on it illuminates

Pretty sure I have an ais box near the V berth with the rest of the electrical stuff though

I'll try and get down there and take a few pics

Is it not the warp speed button?

3 hours ago, JonC said:

The age old battle of AIS vs radar. 
My take on it is this, 7BCF15F3-468D-48ED-B481-28A99E89E77B.thumb.jpeg.e020d879f53da67fb685a68f49005ac1.jpegShip Finder app shows this( I know it’s not real time) whereas in reality the river looks like this ABDC69D8-A4ED-4504-92F9-4DF770ACD20F.thumb.jpeg.0d4ff2ee92567f26c8ec0a602c613ab4.jpegwith over 50 boats and more random uncharted markers that couldn’t give a fuck about you. 

Here we only get localised sea mist during the autumn / winter. It usually lays in the estuary entrance but as it is classed as radiation fog, it clears very quickly. Also it will be clear 1/2 mile out to sea. 
It is probably only one or two days a year when we get fog with less than 10 yards visability. Usually fog for us is no more than heavy sea mist with the visibility rarely dropping below 200. Yards.

Our geography is also very different, and generally we don't have any moorings past the harbour entrance, and the harbour nav lane is very clearly marked.

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Here we only get localised sea mist during the autumn / winter. It usually lays in the estuary entrance but as it is classed as radiation fog, it clears very quickly. Also it will be clear 1/2 mile out to sea. 
It is probably only one or two days a year when we get fog with less than 10 yards visability. Usually fog for us is no more than heavy sea mist with the visibility rarely dropping below 200. Yards.

Our geography is also very different, and generally we don't have any moorings past the harbour entrance, and the harbour nav lane is very clearly marked.

Thanks for steering this back towards some sort of sensible content and away from the awful attempts at humour. 

Some pics of my set up

2022-07-27_07-04-57

The blue status symbol slow flashes when batteries turned on

2022-07-27_07-05-14

This lot is nailed to the outside of the little boys room

2022-07-27_07-05-37

This ais box has a constant red power light and the green one momentarily flashes every now and again (maybe every 30 secs)

2022-07-27_07-05-51

And this flying lead is connected to the box with the clear lid, this plug has never been connected to anywhere since I've owned the boat

I thought it was (maybe) for an external source for updating software ?

Any ideas regarding the AIS, should I be able to overlay it to one of the plotters, I'm assuming the radar is fecked

It’s an AIS receiver. So you should be able receive AIS signals to your chart plotter. 

If you look on your chart plotter you should be able to look at NEMA0183 inputs and one of these is likely to be your AIS from local vessels 

6 hours ago, Odyssey said:

It’s an AIS receiver. So you should be able receive AIS signals to your chart plotter. 

If you look on your chart plotter you should be able to look at NEMA0183 inputs and one of these is likely to be your AIS from local vessels 

I'll check on the plotter next time I'm down, thanks

Would appreciate (in monetary terms obviously) if you/someone could run through my system with me, especially to check if the radar can be repaired/brought online 

On 7/27/2022 at 7:20 PM, jonnyswamp said:

Some pics of my set up

2022-07-27_07-04-57

The blue status symbol slow flashes when batteries turned on

2022-07-27_07-05-14

This lot is nailed to the outside of the little boys room

2022-07-27_07-05-37

This ais box has a constant red power light and the green one momentarily flashes every now and again (maybe every 30 secs)

2022-07-27_07-05-51

And this flying lead is connected to the box with the clear lid, this plug has never been connected to anywhere since I've owned the boat

I thought it was (maybe) for an external source for updating software ?

Any ideas regarding the AIS, should I be able to overlay it to one of the plotters, I'm assuming the radar is fecked

You have a Digital Yacht HSC100 Flux gate compass sensor, this is probably fed into the Radar. The status indicator will tell you if it has been calibrated correctly.

During the auto-calibration process, the Blue Status LED on the HSC100 will flash as follows;

State 1     Un-calibrated  -  long flash LED

State 2     In the process of calibration -  continuous LED

State 3     Calibrated - short flash LED

If it has not been calibrated, then that could be why your Radar is not working correctly. Calibration is easy, you set it to calibrate and just drive around in a steady 360 degree circle maintaining a constant speed

The AIS Engine is receive only, so quite old technology now, and should be sending AIS data to your plotter, but if you can't see the data (green and red triangles), then either there is a fault, or it could be as simple as the AIS needs to be turned on in the plotter settings.

Edited by GPSguru