Teignmouth 10th and 17th Sep

thejollysinker

@thejollysinker, nice to see you out catching a few. And also good to know that I'm not the only one that gets out fished !! 
Nice pics, and looks like a couple of cracking days to be out on the boat. 
BTW, just how red IS that red gurnard!!!

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

@thejollysinker, nice to see you out catching a few. And also good to know that I'm not the only one that gets out fished !! 
Nice pics, and looks like a couple of cracking days to be out on the boat. 
BTW, just how red IS that red gurnard!!!

Makes me laugh, I pilot the sodding boat and look after whomever comes out and always end up last in the fishy catch stakes 🤣

BTW, we painted it that colour to get attention.....

5 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

so we motored over to the rougher ground straight out from Teignmouth about  6 miles or so.

I am guessing the area known as the Tardice (7.7nm), Teignmouth side of the Boma ? A few years ago I had my PB conger from there at 92lb.

5 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Berry Head and Scabbacombe Head

Mudstone Ledge is really a winter mark, and a bit overrated, however if you can drift back toward Berry head in the deep water (155ft) with baited feathers dragging the bottom, the winter pickings can be good with decent sized whiting, Mackerel and the odd Codling.

The other area you went to was between Druids Mare and Nimble rock, if you had stayed close in, this good mixed ground fishing and often a good place to pick up a sizable bream or two. Close to Nimble rock you have the wreck of the Bull steamer.

As you had gone that far, you should have gone the extra 5nm to the Skerries, fishing has been good here during the early autumn.

Well done on getting out, unfortunately family stuff has tied me down over most of August and early September, but from here on I think I am good to go.

PM me your phone number, perhaps we can find some time to get out on my boat during the Autumn / winter and get some good fishing time in for you.

6 hours ago, GPSguru said:

PM me your phone number, perhaps we can find some time to get out on my boat during the Autumn / winter and get some good fishing time in for you.

Make sure Ian has the cabin door closed and the heating on. 

19 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Quality write-up of some quality sessions! Good work 👍.

As I am now an expert in huss identification I reckon yours is actually a dogfish, which is even better! Congratulations!! 🥳🥳

Thank you ☺️

an expert in Huss ID eh? Andy, you need to check your fish ID chart... it was actually a baby Mako but I didn't want to cause a stir 🤣

Edited by thejollysinker

16 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I am guessing the area known as the Tardice (7.7nm), Teignmouth side of the Boma ? A few years ago I had my PB conger from there at 92lb.

Mudstone Ledge is really a winter mark, and a bit overrated, however if you can drift back toward Berry head in the deep water (155ft) with baited feathers dragging the bottom, the winter pickings can be good with decent sized whiting, Mackerel and the odd Codling.

The other area you went to was between Druids Mare and Nimble rock, if you had stayed close in, this good mixed ground fishing and often a good place to pick up a sizable bream or two. Close to Nimble rock you have the wreck of the Bull steamer.

As you had gone that far, you should have gone the extra 5nm to the Skerries, fishing has been good here during the early autumn.

Well done on getting out, unfortunately family stuff has tied me down over most of August and early September, but from here on I think I am good to go.

I didn't know that was the name for that area... you are correct, this was our track for the first trip...Untitled-61.thumb.png.89dd9bae4628fbda55008779fd51ca54.png

I seem to be drawn to this deep depression but have never caught anything sizeable, but, this was the area where I lost my uptider to something that wrenched my rod holder over 😬 my own fault, bad positioning and leverage in favour of the fish 🤷‍♂️ can't work out why there seem to be no Rays around here except the odd small Thornie??? I know the trawlers work hard around here...

Thanks for the tips on Mudstone ledge. There was a guy on a small clinker style open boat (very close to Sharkham Point?) drifting in and out from very close to shore between Mag Rock. I presumed he was spinning for Bass?

Didn't quite make Nimble Rock but if I'd known about the possibility of Bream it would have been a visit for sure 👍

I really want to do a Skerries trip but that wasn't the plan that day but maybe we should have. It was more about having a recce for some marks closer to home. Definitely in the planning for next year , would like to do a weekend/overnight roughing it sort of thing. What does it fish like in Winter?

I think I'm gonna be tied up with family stuff soon with a new grandchild in the offing mid November 🙂

I'll send you my number, thank you for the offer, it would be great to come out with you if we can make it happen 🤞

Just now, thejollysinker said:

I didn't know that was the name for that area... you are correct, this was our track for the first trip...Untitled-61.thumb.png.89dd9bae4628fbda55008779fd51ca54.png

I seem to be drawn to this deep depression but have never caught anything sizeable, but, this was the area where I lost my uptider to something that wrenched my rod holder over 😬 my own fault, bad positioning and leverage in favour of the fish 🤷‍♂️ can't work out why there seem to be no Rays around here except the odd small Thornie??? I know the trawlers work hard around here...

Thanks for the tips on Mudstone ledge. There was a guy on a small clinker style open boat (very close to Sharkham Point?) drifting in and out from very close to shore between Mag Rock. I presumed he was spinning for Bass?

Didn't quite make Nimble Rock but if I'd known about the possibility of Bream it would have been a visit for sure 👍

I really want to do a Skerries trip but that wasn't the plan that day but maybe we should have. It was more about having a recce for some marks closer to home. Definitely in the planning for next year , would like to do a weekend/overnight roughing it sort of thing. What does it fish like in Winter?

I think I'm gonna be tied up with family stuff soon with a new grandchild in the offing mid November 🙂

I'll send you my number, thank you for the offer, it would be great to come out with you if we can make it happen 🤞

this was our track for the second trip

Untitled-62.thumb.png.52d180b25a82210a90e06154a5754417.png

1 hour ago, thejollysinker said:

Thank you ☺️

an expert in Huss ID eh? Andy, you need to check your fish ID chart... it was actually a baby Mako but I didn't want to cause a stir 🤣

Yeah, now you mention it, it does have a mako-like look about it 👍🤣

3 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

That area is well known for large Huss (doubles), so I would put money on a Huss being the culprit for pulling your rod over the side.

Yes, I have only ever caught small thornbacks off our coast, with the biggest going about 7lb, but they are usually in the 3lb - 5lb range.

Along the coast from Berry head to nimble rock, be very, very, wary of fishing close inshore as the area is very gnarly with pinacle rocks, especially the nice looking channel between Cod rock and the Mewstone, I once went through there at 20knts and almost shat myself, I could see the bottom and the rocks, and it must have been less than 18" deep !, but somebody was looking down on me that day 👍😇

The straight line that is shown on your track between Mudstone ledge and Berry head is the perfect winter drift.

31 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That area is well known for large Huss (doubles), so I would put money on a Huss being the culprit for pulling your rod over the side.

Yes, I have only ever caught small thornbacks off our coast, with the biggest going about 7lb, but they are usually in the 3lb - 5lb range.

Along the coast from Berry head to nimble rock, be very, very, wary of fishing close inshore as the area is very gnarly with pinacle rocks, especially the nice looking channel between Cod rock and the Mewstone, I once went through there at 20knts and almost shat myself, I could see the bottom and the rocks, and it must have been less than 18" deep !, but somebody was looking down on me that day 👍😇

The straight line that is shown on your track between Mudstone ledge and Berry head is the perfect winter drift.

You were lucky there then, just looking at it now and it says 0.6m 😳 I'd have um, shat myself seeing that at 20kts 🤣

And now I have a new place to try in the colder months 😉