Bristol channel 10th Nov

jonnyswamp

Couldn't make our first day out of lockdown (work keeps getting in the way) so plumped for the Tuesday instead, as the forecast for the rest of the week was shite

My mate (and one of the usual crew) was out on a charter on the Monday fishing up near Clevedon (my intended area on Tues)

After the picture of his 3rd codling, I rang him and spoke for all of 5 secs before he said "got to go, got a bite"

He rang me back after 10 mins or so just after his picture message pinged on my phone showing a plump 6.5 pounder, seems like it's carpeted with them says I

"Well", says he, "I've had 4 and there's one other on the boat"

I went back to my work wondering if I should take the big cooler box, instead of the smaller one for all the cod we were going to get Tuesday

And after receiving another 2 pics showing his total for the day (6 to around 7lb) I genuinely considered the larger one

Anyway, back to our report (can you tell I'm trying to pad it out a bit)

We took the 7.30 lock and headed straight up/over to Clevedon, on a steep bank/reef which is usually a good spot

Plenty of conger, couple of dogs and a few thornies were all we had for the first 2 hrs of the flood, so opted to move a bit closer in to Ladye Bay

We found a parking spot in between the flotilla and dropped anchor, much the same here with one small (8lb ish) ray doing a very good impression of a double figure cod and really got the blood pumping

A phone call from the charter skipper that my mate had been on the day before revealed he hadn't even had a bite on his boat (he opted to go further up channel)

Another move across the channel to just inside Newport deeps resulted in more of the same, so by about 2.45 I miserably pulled the pin and trundled off down the channel to get the 3.45 lock in........Codless

Speaking to the others in the lock, there were 2 codling between 20 odd anglers, although I did hear of a few doubles that had came out (including 2 from Clevedon the previous day) and the charter we spoke to ended up with 6

Shit weather for the foreseeable, but I will return

They can't hide forever

Can they?

Nice write up and well done for getting out. 👍

Must have been very frustrating, both in respect of your mate catching plenty and you not being out on the Monday, then you being out on the Tuesday and the cod having fucked off... 😤

Can they hide forever? From me they probably can... #whydodogfishalwaysfindmybaitfirst??

6 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I went back to my work wondering if I should take the big cooler box, instead of the smaller one for all the cod we were going to get Tuesday

Here lies your mistake. You hexed your own trip. School boy error. 
never mind, it’s still good to get out. Thanks for sharing and letting us southerners know it’s not just us who can’t catch cod. 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Here lies your mistake. You hexed your own trip. School boy error. 
never mind, it’s still good to get out. Thanks for sharing and letting us southerners know it’s not just us who can’t catch cod. 👍🏻

I honestly thought we would get a few

What happened to all the 20 and 30lb ers of the Solent, seemed to be reading about those fairly regularly up to a few yrs ago

Are Cod that scarce over there now

1 minute ago, jonnyswamp said:

I honestly thought we would get a few

What happened to all the 20 and 30lb ers of the Solent, seemed to be reading about those fairly regularly up to a few yrs ago

Are Cod that scarce over there now

What’s a cod is the general reply round here these days. Ones that I have seen caught have been 4.5lb but that’s in late September. I’ve not caught one for the past two seasons. 

On 11/20/2020 at 2:59 PM, Odyssey said:

Where you heading? 

Sully woukd bd my suggestion, good chance of ray and lunker cod 🙂 

Will decide later after hearing how the charters get on today

But will probly turn right as there hasn't been much showing up the channel of late

I've got a nice rough ground mark wide of Sully that threw up a 12 and and an 18lb er a couple of years ago, so may give that a few hrs up until high then head a bit further west on the ebb 

Have a few new marks to try near Stout/Aberthaw, mussel beds apparently

EDIT

Do you still need photos of the wiring on my fusion radio Luke ?

Edited by jonnyswamp

Not coming back to Cardiff this year. 

Was torn on what to do but it’ll cost me quite a bit to get to get to Cardiff a d back to Milford with the extra Maria fees

Also buying a house so that’ll keep me busy fitting it out.... so winter wrecking and sharking it is 🙂 

Next year I’ll be back 🙂