Yachtmaster Offshore

Odyssey

My wife works at the local pool so if anyone needs any fake certificates and badges I can get all the good stuff, pink ribbon, front crawl, life saving, you want it I can get it . No questions asked. 

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Anyone done it on here? If so, what’s the course and exam like? 🤔🤔

You will be fine, but you need to have a good memory for light sequences at night, and that is where a lot of folk come unstuck.

I don't know whether they still use paper charts for passage planning etc, if it is now done on the plotter then tidal streams, dead reckoning and passage leeway are right out of the window.

The killer was always the nightime buoy's and lighthouse flashes, however, if it is all done on a plotter then that would be out as well because you just need to refer to the plotter and then look in the correct direction for the light, hell, you don't even need a compass 🙄

Edited by GPSguru

22 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

You will be fine, but you need to have a good memory for light sequences at night, and that is where a lot of folk come unstuck.

I don't know whether they still use paper charts for passage planning etc, if it is now done on the plotter then tidal streams, dead reckoning and passage leeway are right out of the window.

The killer was always the nightime buoy's and lighthouse flashes, however, if it is all done on a plotter then that would be out as well because you just need to refer to the plotter and then look in the correct direction for the light, hell, you don't even need a compass 🙄

Yeah I’m busy refreshing my memory on the light patterns of minesweeper and the like 🤣🤣

Maybe looking at the 4 day course and then exam in late December… fist step to getting endorsement…. Just sea survival and first aid to do (both out of date) 

Then hopefully get the keys to a shiny new dive boat to skipper as a relief skipper….. they find the wrecks, bring me crab and lobster, pay me for driving and I get to fish them later on 😁😁

Edited by Odyssey

• Odyssey changed the title to Yachtmaster Offshore
14 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Yeah I’m busy refreshing my memory on the light patterns of minesweeper and the like 🤣🤣

Maybe looking at the 4 day course and then exam in late December… fist step to getting endorsement…. Just sea survival and first aid to do (both out of date) 

Then hopefully get the keys to a shiny new dive boat to skipper as a relief skipper….. they find the wrecks, bring me crab and lobster, pay me for driving and I get to fish them later on 😁😁

sounds like a plan

34 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

beet i can still get lost , oh what is a compass.

43 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I am friendly with the local dive club and boats, usually a swap of Mack or Bass for Lobster and Crab (seems fair to me !), a couple of times I moved off wrecks, so they could dive on slack, not a problem for me, I just went to another wreck. When I got back to the slip I found a huge bag of fresh Scallops tied to the boat trailer, and that has happened a few times ............generally I have found divers to be top guy's.

Edited by GPSguru

10 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I am friendly with the local dive club and boats, usually a swap of Mack or Bass for Lobster and Crab (seems fair to me !), a couple of times I moved off wrecks, so they could dive on slack, not a problem for me, I just went to another wreck. When I got back to the slip I found a huge bag of fresh Scallops tied to the boat trailer, and that has happened a few times ............generally I have found divers to be top guy's.

The divers are great guys around here…. They collected up about 150-200 leads and donated them to the charter boat on the next mooring… he was pretty happy 🙂 I’ve needed to ask them but I think they’d be happy to sort out tangled props etc too 

19 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Some passage planning needed, but you’ll be expected to use a MFD and then crew update the chart… as a reference. It’s 4 days on the water followed by exam if they think you’ve got the knowledge…. Hopefully I will do but back to hitting the books on tidal calculations… (thank you YouTube!)