Is it time?

suzook12

35 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

With the constant shit weather we've been getting the last couple of years, is it time we considered different styles of boat more suitable for what seems to be the new normal in weather?

It's not the boats, it's the location I reckon. We can take TT out in some foul weather if we wanted to. But anchor in the Solent in a strong 4-5 SW in the Solent and even the bigger boats would give up due to the Solent chop. Was due to go out tomorrow, but the strong NW wind has put paid to that. Normally a N wind is welcomed , but with residue chop from the last few days it'll still be uncomfortable. 

I think @Saintly Fish has it - it's not our boats that don't like the weather, it's the anglers aboard. Fishing is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, not cold, wet and miserable, so if that makes me a fair-weather boat angler, then so be it.

I get what ypu're saying, but having been caught out in an old well ballasted compared to a newer semi type hull, the oldun was often unnoticeable how choppy it had got. Have we become too obsessed with speed and distance and spend more time on the trailer or mooring because of it?

4 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I get what ypu're saying, but having been caught out in an old well ballasted compared to a newer semi type hull, the oldun was often unnoticeable how choppy it had got. Have we become too obsessed with speed and distance and spend more time on the trailer or mooring because of it?

Trouble is, the older I get the less likely I am to go out if it's cold too. I don't mind a brisk wind in the summer, it's sometimes quite welcome. But in the winter months, no fanks. 
Doesn't matter what boat you're on, if it's feckin cold, it's feckin cold. 

36 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

speak for yourselves....... 😉

slow and often for me! 

It’s 3.2m swell outside the haven today…. I think even Pugwash would struggle in that….