Removing Sikaflex?

23 hours ago, JonC said:

Some sort of wire definitely seems the way to go . Thanks 

The mason stuff seems very thin in relation to strength, which may help in your situation. If it didn't take so long for every with the post I could of sent you a few different strengths in metre lengths to try.

Edited by JDP

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Do you want some 316 stainless MIG wire ?  .......... If yes, then PM me an address to sent it to.

Very kind of you to offer, I’m sure I’ll find something in the shed to use. I think a multi strand wire will be better as the strands will act as teeth. 

3 hours ago, JonC said:

Very kind of you to offer, I’m sure I’ll find something in the shed to use. I think a multi strand wire will be better as the strands will act as teeth. 

Maybe some 49 strand trace wire would do the trick ?

Because of your very limited access, I think wire is the way to go, maybe just start a slot with the multitool.

If you find you need some SS 316 mig wire, I have plenty here, as I always keep a 5kg spool handy for the SS welding jobs that seem to come my way.

The other way would be to get a long narrow paint / wall paper scraper and grind a chisel bevel on the end, using a fine green grit wheel, then just tap it through the sikaflex.

49 strand wire and heat it up a bit, this will help soften it. 

Run a hot air gun over it a few times and this will reduce the strength of the sikaflex and hopefully help make it easier to get going

What a fuss over nothing!

The stainless plate peeled away easily, with using any PE4 or wire etc. I managed to scrape the residue off happily enough with a tungsten scraper so happy days. It was so easy that I’m wondering if I used some lesser quality sealant, I don’t think I would have but it was too easy. 95763CFA-A554-4DFA-B47F-4D9EBB282B9F.thumb.jpeg.a051167a1d412fc12844a256fc14b770.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I think you owe everyone who made suggestions on here a crate of beer for their helpfulness and disappointment at not seeing you put their good ideas into practice.

#whatnocheesewire?

I think it’s a good thing that I didn’t use @Mavericks idea of garoting everyone 

31 minutes ago, JonC said:

The roller I fitted a couple of years ago wax a piece of shit that I bought locally. Lesson learned again. 

9CC26FAE-4FF4-446A-B69C-39FEF75E97B3.jpeg

They can certainly creep up in price when the quality jumps up. Even the small one on my little boat was over $600. The electric drum winches can put a fair amount of pressure on them, Im sure mine can pull around 1.3 tons and an alderney rig would have to be up around there too, more on some vessels.

12 minutes ago, JDP said:

They can certainly creep up in price when the quality jumps up. Even the small one on my little boat was over $600. The electric drum winches can put a fair amount of pressure on them, Im sure mine can pull around 1.3 tons and an alderney rig would have to be up around there too, more on some vessels.

It wasn’t so much cost saving when I bought the other one more of what was available locally at the time. The new one is 4mm fick with 3mm on the hinged section. My other one was made from a mess tin. 

4 hours ago, JonC said:

What a fuss over nothing!

The stainless plate peeled away easily, with using any PE4 or wire etc. I managed to scrape the residue off happily enough with a tungsten scraper so happy days. It was so easy that I’m wondering if I used some lesser quality sealant, I don’t think I would have but it was too easy. 95763CFA-A554-4DFA-B47F-4D9EBB282B9F.thumb.jpeg.a051167a1d412fc12844a256fc14b770.jpeg

Good job there 👍

Regardless of how and why with the old roller it is off with no damage, which is excellent.

8 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Good job there 👍

Regardless of how and why with the old roller it is off with no damage, which is excellent.

I would like to have had a bit more time to glass the old holes from the factory fit one that was a standard single roller thing. True to the quicksilver quality we all expect the original was just screwed into the deck with 25mm  screws, not bolted through, although the bow area has a piece of timber bonded inside it to fix through. Reach the bolts to put screws on is impossible, I had to tape a ratchet and socket to a fish measure to offer he nuts up and hold them. 4D963CF6-C500-4783-8BD7-A79F819948F3.thumb.jpeg.bdff0a3a1e98c38deb3493141ad8adcd.jpeg