Polisher

44 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Any recommendations? Boat is coming out soon so will get a scrub top to bottom and always wanting to make it easier 🙂

What power tools are you using? Makita do an 18volt polisher that looks really good, so much better than dragging cables around the yard. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

What power tools are you using? Makita do an 18volt polisher that looks really good, so much better than dragging cables around the yard. 

I’ve got a large polisher already but looking for a smaller one…

my power tools are dewalt so makita is not ideal but I’ll have a look 

Ive had several over the years but when I bought a Makita PO 6000c 150mm (6) random orbital polisher it was a game changer for doing boats and vehicles. Theres also an 18v rechargeable that I might add to the kit. Rupes are at the top end of the line but after asking around at a couple of crash repair places if they thought the investment was worth while they pointed me at the makita.

Ive had mine for about 5yrs and I would say it gets used for a few hours each week either on my own or other peoples boats and vehicles.

I honestly believe this thing paid for itself after the first time of using it. Ive been able to bring some pretty bad looking paint works back to looking as new, which has greatly helped when I sell boats and vehicles on. I now look at shabby looking projects knowing how good they will look after a few hours work and how big a difference this will make when selling the boat or vehicle.

A bit of research into pads, cutting compounds and polishes as well as polishing techniques can normally be found on YouTube etc. These days I use cutting polishes which are then removed ahead of a much longer lasting ceramic finish. Ceramic finishes are so easy the apply. My 2006 boat went from a dull chalky blue Gell coat to a showroom deep rich glossy original finish. This boat is stored outside in the direct sunlight.

DD5632F0-95E1-4A75-83C7-02FFB1FE753D.thumb.jpeg.14b731c747524b75549534044643991e.jpeg

Edited by JDP

10 hours ago, JDP said:

Ive had several over the years but when I bought a Makita PO 6000c 150mm (6) random orbital polisher it was a game changer for doing boats and vehicles. Theres also an 18v rechargeable that I might add to the kit. Rupes are at the top end of the line but after asking around at a couple of crash repair places if they thought the investment was worth while they pointed me at the makita.

Ive had mine for about 5yrs and I would say it gets used for a few hours each week either on my own or other peoples boats and vehicles.

I honestly believe this thing paid for itself after the first time of using it. Ive been able to bring some pretty bad looking paint works back to looking as new, which has greatly helped when I sell boats and vehicles on. I now look at shabby looking projects knowing how good they will look after a few hours work and how big a difference this will make when selling the boat or vehicle.

A bit of research into pads, cutting compounds and polishes as well as polishing techniques can normally be found on YouTube etc. These days I use cutting polishes which are then removed ahead of a much longer lasting ceramic finish. Ceramic finishes are so easy the apply. My 2006 boat went from a dull chalky blue Gell coat to a showroom deep rich glossy original finish. This boat is stored outside in the direct sunlight.

DD5632F0-95E1-4A75-83C7-02FFB1FE753D.thumb.jpeg.14b731c747524b75549534044643991e.jpeg

That’s why I suggested the 18 volt makita, a bit more expensive but if it’s easier to use then one is more likely to use it, at slow times like slack water or while waiting for the lock gates etc to have a quick rub off.

Yeah they look good but Screwfix want like £250…. If I could find someone to give me a discount that’d help… 🙄🤣

Ill see if there cheaper versions or any on eBay….

7 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Yeah they look good but Screwfix want like £250…. If I could find someone to give me a discount that’d help… 🙄🤣

Ill see if there cheaper versions or any on eBay….

How about this then, if you are already using dewalt?00B49889-3F2F-416D-90F7-6C3D729D2791.thumb.jpeg.ea4f811efa327669341660e8299b2305.jpegremember to try local independence tool shops they are usually cheaper and don’t blame everything on ‘the system’ 

Cordless polishers are very good for short periods of time working, but I think that you will find them a bit heavy for longer working periods and you will need a couple of batteries. Obviously if you are working in an area where no power is available you will have no other option if you wish to machine polish. Geoff.

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

Cordless polishers are very good for short periods of time working, but I think that you will find them a bit heavy for longer working periods and you will need a couple of batteries. Obviously if you are working in an area where no power is available you will have no other option if you wish to machine polish. Geoff.

It’s ok for you, you don’t even need an extension lead to polish your boat. 

Randon orbital and orbital polishers are quite different, the throw of a random is bigger and doesn't leave swirls. The Makita has two options on the one unit and will most likely out last any eBay copy if worked hard. The Makita has comfortable holding grips and soft surfaces I will happily rest on the bonnet of any vehicle. I made the mistake of buying those cheap ones you get in car shops, took me three rubbish ones until I got the Makita. Typically my daughter now has sponsorship from Makita so can get what every she wants, you would think she would ask for a battery one for me given I polish her 4x4!!!!!!

I like the Dewalt products, shame they don't do random orbital polishers as I also have a few products that the batteries could share between (also like yellow!!!)

Edited by JDP