A morning of inshore fishing - 2nd Jan

GPSguru

• GPSguru changed the title to A morning of inshore fishing - 2nd Jan

Cracking day out. Good work. Those whiting look lovely - just the right size for the table. Nice squid too 👍 Is it usual to find squid this late (or even early?) in the year? I had a vague recollection that they head into deeper waters after autumn.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Is it usual to find squid this late (or even early?) in the year? I had a vague recollection that they head into deeper waters after autumn.

there are generally 2 runs - autumn and spring - although we were catching them all winter last year! - provided the conditions are right!

3 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Is it usual to find squid this late (or even early?) in the year? I had a vague recollection that they head into deeper waters after autumn.

They usually stay until mid to late Jan, then they appear briefly again in April, but yes, weather permitting, the best and most productive time is the Autumn.

I usually catch them on a mark, which is a favourite for Cod ! (probably the only Cod mark in the Bay), so I think it is pretty obvious what attracts the Cod. I tend not to target the Cod as they are not prolific enough to make it worthwhile, generally the fish caught are Codling (3lb - 5lb), but there was a 20lb + caught there a couple of years ago.

57 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

not sure how you would ensure the squid stays alive

or stays on the hook! You'd have to whip it's body to the hook & line, leaving only its tentacles free. Basically the same presentation as a dead bait.

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Good stuff again. Have you ever sent squid back down live as bait? Is that a Fing? 

No, but I would if I needed to.

Strangely enough, the best bait for whiting is Squid, especially the head and tentacles of a small squid. Kyle definitely had the biggest fish using that as bait.

Also, we both noticed that bites were quicker when a strip of squid was on the hook, as opposed to slower bites with just mackerel belly strip.

A good morning and some nice Whiting there, we don't get them anywhere near that size up here (Bristol Channel)

We did have one decent year in early nineties IIRC, quite a few 2lb plus around for a while

Be interested on what your mates had off the wrecks, we were supposed to be out of Weymouth this Sunday but not looking likely now so I'll have the rest of the week off (been looking for a new car also) and take my boat out Friday if weather holds