Lyme Bay Wrecks - 10th Feb

GPSguru

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Nice going Ian. Seems from your reports that the wrecks are starting to improve a bit. Is that because less netting or is it the time of year?

Time of year and also less fishing pressure due to the recent not so good weather. Another factor is pretty much no rod caught commercials (until next month).

12 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Nice going Ian. Seems from your reports that the wrecks are starting to improve a bit. Is that because less netting or is it the time of year?

Thinking about it, I have also  changed my style of fishing on the wrecks. Now I fish very close to the bottom and very close to the wreck, often I am no more than 3ft off the bottom, and a constant eye is needed on the sonar to lift the jig over the wreck. This is only possible with slow jigs, and I use the rod tip to make them tumble and roll.

It is a very risky strategy, and I probably lose a jig on each session. However it seems to work.This year, in just a few sessions, I have had Pollock, Cod, Tub Gurnard, Cuckoo Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Pout, Whiting, and Mackerel

38 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Thinking about it, I have also  changed my style of fishing on the wrecks. Now I fish very close to the bottom and very close to the wreck, often I am no more than 3ft off the bottom, and a constant eye is needed on the sonar to lift the jig over the wreck. This is only possible with slow jigs, and I use the rod tip to make them tumble and roll.

It is a very risky strategy, and I probably lose a jig on each session. However it seems to work.This year, in just a few sessions, I have had Pollock, Cod, Tub Gurnard, Cuckoo Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Pout, Whiting, and Mackerel

I'll have to pop down one day for a lesson! Ive got an SPJ set up that's never seen the sea!