Ais

Just now, Herbs73 said:

Is that the wireless Furuno ? 

Yes. It’s limited compared to other units but it was half the price that any other system would have cost me. I think it’s obsolete now, it didn’t catch on  a bit like Betamax 🤣

32 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I have the Garmin HD4k radome coupled to a pair of gpsmap 8410 plotters. It all works a treat. 
Maybe one of the more technical bods like @GPSguru (don't bother with @Andy135 he just copies and pasted from Google) can tell you if the garmin can be used with the simrad that you have? Or you could purchase a smaller garmin plotter and use just the ais and radar on that, then have the simrad as a stand alone??

As far asi can tell only Navico units will work with each other. Also I have a Simrad go7 xse which isn’t radar ready, I was planning on getting a bare go7xsr and having the 2, (I wouldn’t have to buy a transducer) but it’s still another £550 on the cost.  I’ve got used to the simrad which is keeping my staying with the brand. However I’m also keen on saving money amd I could sell the one I have and switch to garmin. 

1 minute ago, Herbs73 said:

As far asi can tell only Navico units will work with each other. Also I have a Simrad go7 xse which isn’t radar ready, I was planning on getting a bare go7xsr and having the 2, (I wouldn’t have to buy a transducer) but it’s still another £550 on the cost.  I’ve got used to the simrad which is keeping my staying with the brand. However I’m also keen on saving money amd I could sell the one I have and switch to garmin. 

B&G seemed to be the cheapest option when I was looking for a new system 

13 minutes ago, JonC said:

Yes. It’s limited compared to other units but it was half the price that any other system would have cost me. I think it’s obsolete now, it didn’t catch on  a bit like Betamax 🤣

With more people using tablets you would think that other brands would have taken Furuno idea and come up with a wireless radar that was as good as hard wired units,

13 minutes ago, Herbs73 said:

With more people using tablets you would think that other brands would have taken Furuno idea and come up with a wireless radar that was as good as hard wired units,

Yes, loads of people are running navionics on tablets, it seems that more people are going that way than proper plotters. Another limitation is I can’t overlay on navionics, I can on Tz charts but I can’t be arsed to subscribe to them 

Yep, I have Navionics on my phone and tablet as well as the plotter. I can also mirror the plotter on the iPad although the resolution isn’t as good I get a bigger screen. I can control the plotter from the iPad as well 

F4B71910-34E4-4520-A605-C0871E3B431D.jpeg

You’ll be looking at a 4G Simrad radome and most likely an NSS evo 3 9 inch plotter. Alternatively…. 

look at this…. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404015864285?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rdvxlzetqn-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Iv78hwFDRlC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Itll happily run a 3G radar, fully networkable… 12 inch screen. Old be still excellent. Will also take an AIS input on NEMA2k. 

or bid quick on this…. It’s the updated version with touch screen. Again fully networkable. Or just buy both and have a networked system 😉 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275782540945?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iK05kEIBQUu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Iv78hwFDRlC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Garmin boradband radar will be good too, I’ve used the latest Garmin and Raymarine gear, all excellent. As GPS advises I’d steer clear of Lowrance, it’s a lower cost Simrad stuff. 

im a Simrad fan so somewhat biased…. But cactus Nav is an excellent place to get electronics from 

Edited by Odyssey

2 hours ago, Herbs73 said:

Yep, I have Navionics on my phone and tablet as well as the plotter. I can also mirror the plotter on the iPad although the resolution isn’t as good I get a bigger screen. I can control the plotter from the iPad as well 

F4B71910-34E4-4520-A605-C0871E3B431D.jpeg

Why are you caravanning in your boat? 

33 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

You’ll be looking at a 4G Simrad radome and most likely an NSS evo 3 9 inch plotter. Alternatively…. 

look at this…. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404015864285?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rdvxlzetqn-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Iv78hwFDRlC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Itll happily run a 3G radar, fully networkable… 12 inch screen. Old be still excellent. Will also take an AIS input on NEMA2k. 

or bid quick on this…. It’s the updated version with touch screen. Again fully networkable. Or just buy both and have a networked system 😉 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275782540945?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iK05kEIBQUu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Iv78hwFDRlC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Garmin boradband radar will be good too, I’ve used the latest Garmin and Raymarine gear, all excellent. As GPS advises I’d steer clear of Lowrance, it’s a lower cost Simrad stuff. 

im a Simrad fan so somewhat biased…. But cactus Nav is an excellent place to get electronics from 

He could have this for not that much more... https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/697228/pn/010-02365-50

54 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

54 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I find it’s cheaper than mooring costs but I did get a dodgy look off some old boy washing down his caravan when I cast  a 50z uptide. Don’t catch much though 

On 4/10/2023 at 8:37 AM, Herbs73 said:

So far no I’ve not gone out out much in fog or travelled at night, this has been due mainly to me staying within my comfort zone, however I am planning on going out further and want to be as safe as I can be.  I am based in brightlingsea so have traffic in the Thames estuary to contend with and I’ve promised the wife some weekends away in the boat ( this was a proviso on buying the boat 5 years ago which hasn’t really happened) 

. Im also wanting to all round improve my seamanship in general to get the most out of my boat and improving the electronics  I think is a part of that process.  But yes my plan is ais first and then radar maybe next season 

Hmmm..............

Unless you are regularly going to venture out in conditions of poor visibility, then radar is just an expensive toy, and this comment applies to the majority of small fishing boats for recreational use. Personally, I don't go out if the visibility is less than 1nm, or forecast to be 1nm or less, I am recreational, I don't need the hassle, it can wait until a better day. If you understand weather forecasting, then you will never get caught in fog or sea mist. FFS, the CG gives regular weather forecasts on ch63 (usually) and imminent means within 6 hours, so you have plenty of time to feck'off home.

Those on here that have said it is good for night navigation are not going to pass any advanced RYA seamanship practical exam's by using radar. Navigation on a night passage must be done by understanding ALL lights and their meanings / identification. Most skippers fail miserably in the identification of various types of vessel and their orientation 🙄. Also, no pleasure boat skipper who understands 'responsibility', would not purposely venture out on a night passage of poor visibility.

Also, it is worth noting that AIS has its downsides, in that the GC can see your location and ask you to assist another boat by calling you using DSC. It has happened to me 4 or 5 times in the last 4 years.

AIS also gives your fishing position away, unless you have a transit inhibit switch fitted. I can set AIS transmit to 'off' but still receive all AIS traffic at the flick of a switch.

AIS is also good for when you are at anchor. It clearly transmits your MMSI and the relevant info, i.e. speed =0,  Course=0, update time every 6 or 8 minutes,

An upside of AIS is that unlike radar, it can effectively 'see' around corners, I use this to good advantage when steaming close inshore past areas like Berry Head, where there could be hidden traffic coming out to sea on my port side from Brixham, however, all these 'aids' are exactly that and a focussed lookout watch must be maintained at all times.

Edited by GPSguru

13 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Hmmm..............

Unless you are regularly going to venture out in conditions of poor visibility, then radar is just an expensive toy, and this comment applies to the majority of small fishing boats for recreational use. Personally, I don't go out if the visibility is less than 1nm, or forecast to be 1nm or less, I am recreational, I don't need the hassle, it can wait until a better day. If you understand weather forecasting, then you will never get caught in fog or sea mist. FFS, the CG gives regular weather forecasts on ch63 (usually) and imminent means within 6 hours, so you have plenty of time to feck'off home.

Those on here that have said it is good for night navigation are not going to pass any advanced RYA seamanship practical exam's by using radar. Navigation on a night passage must be done by understanding ALL lights and their meanings / identification. Most skippers fail miserably in the identification of various types of vessel and their orientation 🙄. Also, no pleasure boat skipper who understands 'responsibility', would not purposely venture out on a night passage of poor visibility.

Also, it is worth noting that AIS has its downsides, in that the GC can see your location and ask you to assist another boat by calling you using DSC. It has happened to me 4 or 5 times in the last 4 years.

AIS also gives your fishing position away, unless you have a transit inhibit switch fitted. I can set AIS transmit to 'off' but still receive all AIS traffic at the flick of a switch.

AIS is also good for when you are at anchor. It clearly transmits your MMSI and the relevant info, i.e. speed =0,  Course=0, update time every 6 or 8 minutes,

An upside of AIS is that unlike radar, it can effectively 'see' around corners, I use this to good advantage when steaming close inshore past areas like Berry Head, where there could be hidden traffic coming out to sea on my port side from Brixham, however, all these 'aids' are exactly that and a focussed lookout watch must be maintained at all times.

Radar is now an integral part of RYA YM…. You need to be able to use and depth to navigate blindly…. (I.e. not with GPS) in simulated “fog” (a coat thrown over your head). 

it’s only useful at night to demonstrate to your examiner that the red and white lights are actually a car on land and not a lit buoy that is not charted…. (It’s a long story…) Turns put it was the local dogging spot next to the sea so would explain the flashing lights 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Needless to say YM examiner was a bit embarrassed when pointed out he was wrong….

Agree on the AIS, you send your mates a catch picture, then you’re surrounded as the buggers have found where you’re fishing! So no catch reports unless I’m back on land 😉 

On 4/12/2023 at 10:53 PM, GPSguru said:

Hmmm..............

I agree that electronics doesn’t replace good seamanship but I see these as aids for when things go wrong.  I’m also planning on weekends away in the boat and I’ll be sailing around Harwich and Felixstowe and I like the idea of ais in that scenario. I also like the idea of an ais mob  beacon in conjunction with my PLB.