Salt build up auxiliary motor

5 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

just under one litre of salt away concentrate is approx £33.50 ish and for normal cleaning applications a mix of 20:1 is recommended. I don't think my application is normal and would require the stronger mix recommended of 10:1.... so that's 11 litres of fluid which I don't think is anywhere near enough to flush an outboard with effectiveness.

I've sussed out that Sulfamic acid is the active ingredient which I can buy (5kg of neat crystals) for £35.50 inc postage. I think I'll buy that and mix up my own cocktail in the bin and give it a whirl.... I can see it now, drops the leg in and it instantly dissolves 🤣

In for a penny and all that....

Are you sure you are getting those ratio's right ? that sounds like a crazy amount of solution. The 3.79lt container lasts me over a year. The 3.79lt is expensive at around 40 UK pounds but replacing engines is far more expensive and besides that if you regularly use the engine I would only use Salt-Away once a week or so, as the salt doesn't get chance to dry inside the engine when used more often. You will find commercial engines used daily suffer very little from corrosion issues.

1165036682_ScreenShot2023-04-14at8_49_53am.png.f18b42f7414f40c3bc1f38401402b591.png

Heres another tub setup for flushing.
https://www.facebook.com/baypowerandsail/videos/571397994546325

Edited by JDP

21 hours ago, JDP said:

Are you sure you are getting those ratio's right ? that sounds like a crazy amount of solution. The 3.79lt container lasts me over a year. The 3.79lt is expensive at around 40 UK pounds but replacing engines is far more expensive and besides that if you regularly use the engine I would only use Salt-Away once a week or so, as the salt doesn't get chance to dry inside the engine when used more often. You will find commercial engines used daily suffer very little from corrosion issues.

1165036682_ScreenShot2023-04-14at8_49_53am.png.f18b42f7414f40c3bc1f38401402b591.png

Heres another tub setup for flushing.
https://www.facebook.com/baypowerandsail/videos/571397994546325

There you go. That’s the description from F10 marine web shop…. this is one of the reasons I posted the the questions as there is a minefield of misinformation out there….

if you ask me a ratio of 512:1 isn’t going to even scratch the surface, surely? what you’ve quoted there is for external cleaning with pressure from a hose, not descaling the inside of an engine.

the description on the 3.79l container says it removes salt accumulation with repeated use. I need to clean the engine properly, once so that I know if I need to use it it won’t be blocked. I can look after it properly once it’s been descaled.

I’m going to do some experiments with the sulfamic acid crystals before I start shoving it in my engine and come to my own conclusions about how this can be done. If I fuck it up it’s my own fault 🤷‍♂️

I will have a look at the other link you sent, thanks.

69ACF167-F251-4BFD-9FB0-5BDFB6CE42FE.jpeg

3 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

There you go. That’s the description from F10 marine web shop…. this is one of the reasons I posted the the questions as there is a minefield of misinformation out there….

if you ask me a ratio of 512:1 isn’t going to even scratch the surface, surely? what you’ve quoted there is for external cleaning with pressure from a hose, not descaling the inside of an engine.

the description on the 3.79l container says it removes salt accumulation with repeated use. I need to clean the engine properly, once so that I know if I need to use it it won’t be blocked. I can look after it properly once it’s been descaled.

I’m going to do some experiments with the sulfamic acid crystals before I start shoving it in my engine and come to my own conclusions about how this can be done. If I fuck it up it’s my own fault 🤷‍♂️

I will have a look at the other link you sent, thanks.

69ACF167-F251-4BFD-9FB0-5BDFB6CE42FE.jpeg

I posted some other links where pumps have been used to use the same solution in a continuous recycling process through the engine. Obviously doing it that way like in the video's you can use a more concentrated amount but really not needing that much as its being pumped back through constantly using a simple bilge pump hooked up to a 12v battery. Those guys have left badly blocked engines pumping the solution for several hours. Salt-Away is probably the most expensive one of these on the market here but they were one of the first so have been able to hold that top price from the reputation they have earned over the past 20+ yrs. 

I do also have another 4lt container of another brand which seems ok but will go back to the original as the blue die in the copy can stain things blue. 

Edited by JDP

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Have a look at these heating system cleaners, there maybe a product there that's suitable and cheaper?? 

https://www.kamco.co.uk/kamco-power-flushing-chemicals.html

I’ve just read the data sheet for that kamco power flush, highly corrosive. Not sure how aluminium would hold up.

thanks for the thought anyway but I’ve already ordered the sulfamic acid crystals which wasn’t expensive so I’ll persevere with that and post results 👍

59 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

I have to say a thank you to @JDP for showing me the vids from Oz because it was a great way to do it and the results are amazing!

Don't encourage him Gary or we'll never hear the end of it. We're already sick to the back teeth with all of his blue water/big fish/cheaper tackle/better in Oz photos and we don't need him telling us how good they are at salt flushing either 🙄🤣

34 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Hey, that's an impressive result, especially given the state it was in before. Definitely worth doing then.

And well done for your jerry-rigging the pump/circulation system. It clearly worked 👍

#macgyver 🤣

Cheers Andy, I’m very happy with it 👍

Can’t say I’m overly happy about the term  ‘Jerry-rigged’. 

I would have been happier with the term  ‘jury rigged’ because I’m a bit of a grammar freak…. the wife says it’s one of my ‘tisms 🤣 note: one of them 😬

CECDD44B-D7D1-49DC-9E95-30A1CB20ACD0.jpeg

Edited by thejollysinker

25 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

Cheers Andy, I’m very happy with it 👍

Can’t say I’m overly happy about the term  ‘Jerry-rigged’. 

I would have been happier with the term  ‘jury rigged’ because I’m a bit of a grammar freak…. the wife says it’s one of my ‘tisms 🤣 note: one of them 😬

CECDD44B-D7D1-49DC-9E95-30A1CB20ACD0.jpeg

Thanks @Geoff 😉🤣

2 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

So today I mixed up my acid to a recommended strength, took the leg back off and mounted the motor on an old bar stool over a flexi bucket. 

I’d already tested the mixture in a jar and used the thermostat as the test bed which, without any agitation cleaned it almost to perfection.

A cheap bilge pump that was obtained from Amazon was rigged up with an array of tubing from the ‘tube bucket’ , wired up with a switch and fuse then connected to a leisure battery for power. The tube was attached to the intake and we went live for 5 hours.

I have to say a thank you to @JDP for showing me the vids from Oz because it was a great way to do it and the results are amazing!

I checked inside the thermostat housing after a flush with fresh water and it is immaculately clean compared to the disgusting state it had been in, so can only assume that the cooling galleries are the same. 

On the strength of these results I’m going to do my main engine when I get the chance…. Easy enough over a tide down on the beach.

F8DB1DB0-AC71-4C32-815D-04B45F7DCE39.jpeg

83AE302A-E075-408C-AC1A-865A8EECED45.jpeg

82963B90-2F4D-4C37-BA63-88200CD2B961.jpeg

72AB5674-B1F7-4A4C-9304-1EE6B50C8F90.jpeg

Excellent work Gary, and its great when a plan comes together.

50 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

We use white vinegar at work for descaling at a 50/50 mix. Very cheap, very effective. But then limescale isn't salt...... We are in a very hard water area, and water softeners add salt.........

So what you're saying is... don't use vinegar 🤣👍