Salt build up auxiliary motor

has anyone ever had to flush a motor that is salted up quite badly?

my 8hp yam is not great and trying to find info about flushing with agents like 'salt away' is proving slightly difficult as in;

What 'is' the best product, how much do you need, what ratio for mix etc and how long to run the motor for to give it a damn good clean....?

any advice on the subject would be appreciated so I can get on with it 🙂

Edited to show the extent of the build up with a picture of the stat.

15B196C2-B593-4084-9BEA-F13C4ABA7AE8.jpeg

Edited by thejollysinker

For cleaning raw water systems on inboard diesels Rydlime is the best agent. I would refer to your periodic table though before using it as it can kill some alloys. A friend of ours BK once told someone to put all the parts in a bat and it dissolved half of the parts 🤣

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

For cleaning raw water systems on inboard diesels Rydlime is the best agent. I would refer to your periodic table though before using it as it can kill some alloys. A friend of ours BK once told someone to put all the parts in a bat and it dissolved half of the parts 🤣

I think I'll give that a miss. I would still like a motor that works by the end of the process 😅

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

If I remember correctly, our resident antipodean @JDP may be able to offer a point of view. Salt flushing fluids seem to be used more extensively down under than they do up here.

You do realise he will morph the question into one about his fishing and then post loads of random pictures of people he doesn’t know from the local Facebook groups who have caught some big fish somewhere else ? 

51 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

If I remember correctly, our resident antipodean @JDP may be able to offer a point of view. Salt flushing fluids seem to be used more extensively down under than they do up here.

Would be interesting to hear how they do it upside down 🤣

6 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

What 'is' the best product, how much do you need, what ratio for mix etc and how long to run the motor for to give it a damn good clean....?

any advice on the subject would be appreciated so I can get on with it 🙂

Salt away definitely works, but it used to be not easy or quick to get, but I see that screwfix and toolstation sell it now, and I assume it is the same stuff.

White vinegar also definitely works, IIRC something like a cup full to a gallon of water. The 5% acetic acid of the vinegar assists the water in breaking down the salt.

Salt is a stable inorganic compound but does dissolve in vinegar which is an organic compound, but there is no direct chemical reaction, just the grateful assistance of the acetic acid.

Edited by GPSguru

Salt-away and the numerous other products similar on the market are extremely popular here. If that thermostat looks that way you can bet your entire cooling system on the engine will be much the same, possibly the same on your main engine if you don't regularly flush out the cooling system. I would also be checking a data sheet to see exactly how many anodes are on the engines and checking everyone of them. 

There are even permanent mounted flush systems for Diesel engines such as the ones found here (specially for @JonC  https://www.salt-attack.com.au/products/marine-boat-motors?keyword_k=&gclid=CjwKCAjwrdmhBhBBEiwA4Hx5gxJH-PpWNekdJ5pk0u1sQZp6yKzx_x_yCr8T78IcHPOIcLtDz_5P1hoCTxsQAvD_BwE

If you can't get your hands on such products you could try cleaning vinegar, which is slightly more acidic than normal vinegar. Vinegar will quickly break down the salt but if your anodes have dissolved the motor could be in a bit of trouble. 

And here's a picture specially for @JonC of some glowing fungus I took locally.
_JDP0984.JPG.5e3740c90322cd3df6142c45cce62b8a.JPG

13 hours ago, JDP said:

Salt-away and the numerous other products similar on the market are extremely popular here. If that thermostat looks that way you can bet your entire cooling system on the engine will be much the same, possibly the same on your main engine if you don't regularly flush out the cooling system. I would also be checking a data sheet to see exactly how many anodes are on the engines and checking everyone of them. 

There are even permanent mounted flush systems for Diesel engines such as the ones found here (specially for @JonC  https://www.salt-attack.com.au/products/marine-boat-motors?keyword_k=&gclid=CjwKCAjwrdmhBhBBEiwA4Hx5gxJH-PpWNekdJ5pk0u1sQZp6yKzx_x_yCr8T78IcHPOIcLtDz_5P1hoCTxsQAvD_BwE

If you can't get your hands on such products you could try cleaning vinegar, which is slightly more acidic than normal vinegar. Vinegar will quickly break down the salt but if your anodes have dissolved the motor could be in a bit of trouble. 

And here's a picture specially for @JonC of some glowing fungus I took locally.
_JDP0984.JPG.5e3740c90322cd3df6142c45cce62b8a.JPG

The waterways must be bad all through as even the new impeller that had been fitted couldn’t pump through the build up under the plate where the water enters. I had to dig it out. When I bought it 2 years ago it was in a wheelie bin of fresh water and was working just fine so it must have been on the limit then. 
I’m going to try the salt away and hope that it’ll work in a wheelie bin about 2/3 full.

As for the main engine, with regular trips and maintenance firing up there is no problem with that one. There is a slight build up in that one but it’s not bad.

I’m not going for the vinegar option as it sounds harsh but it may yet come to that, we’ll see @GPSguru 😬

thanks all for your advice, I’ll keep you posted 👍

48 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

The waterways must be bad all through as even the new impeller that had been fitted couldn’t pump through the build up under the plate where the water enters. I had to dig it out. When I bought it 2 years ago it was in a wheelie bin of fresh water and was working just fine so it must have been on the limit then. 
I’m going to try the salt away and hope that it’ll work in a wheelie bin about 2/3 full.

As for the main engine, with regular trips and maintenance firing up there is no problem with that one. There is a slight build up in that one but it’s not bad.

I’m not going for the vinegar option as it sounds harsh but it may yet come to that, we’ll see @GPSguru 😬

thanks all for your advice, I’ll keep you posted 👍

I believe you can neutralise the vinegar with baking soda after using it, not something Ive even done as I use the salt-away. 

There are a couple of interesting videos from this local dealer up the road from me that could possibly help with a flushing setup. Common theme here being basic maintenance, flushing.

https://www.facebook.com/baypowerandsail/videos/465325701451034

Also this one shows how badly this low engine hour engine is from lack of flushing. 
https://www.facebook.com/baypowerandsail/videos/1385946574920577

And a little sea horse holding to the shark net at a little bay inside our local harbour, specially for @JonC

_MG_1872.thumb.jpg.cee16b20b2bfa55705103b63995bb95d.jpg

Edited by JDP

6 minutes ago, JDP said:

And a little sea horse holding to the shark net at a little bay inside our local harbour, specially for @JonC

_MG_1872.thumb.jpg.cee16b20b2bfa55705103b63995bb95d.jpg

You're too good to him. He'll have that photo printed, framed and on his bedroom wall before you know it.

just under one litre of salt away concentrate is approx £33.50 ish and for normal cleaning applications a mix of 20:1 is recommended. I don't think my application is normal and would require the stronger mix recommended of 10:1.... so that's 11 litres of fluid which I don't think is anywhere near enough to flush an outboard with effectiveness.

I've sussed out that Sulfamic acid is the active ingredient which I can buy (5kg of neat crystals) for £35.50 inc postage. I think I'll buy that and mix up my own cocktail in the bin and give it a whirl.... I can see it now, drops the leg in and it instantly dissolves 🤣

In for a penny and all that....

Edited by thejollysinker