Braid

What braid are you guys recommending/ are there any good deals out there. ?  I’ve always used 50lb ish breaking strain as it’s thicker and doesn’t dig in. I tried some thinner stuff years back and didn’t get on with it but maybe it was just me at the time and I should be using lighter braid.  What do you guys think? 

tia 

37 minutes ago, Herbs73 said:

What braid are you guys recommending/ are there any good deals out there. ?  I’ve always used 50lb ish breaking strain as it’s thicker and doesn’t dig in. I tried some thinner stuff years back and didn’t get on with it but maybe it was just me at the time and I should be using lighter braid.  What do you guys think? 

tia 

For normal fishing I use 25/30lb Saratoga braid. Good quality and cheap on eBay. 

2 hours ago, Herbs73 said:

tia 

I’ve been using 42lb j braid for my fishing lately, but I’m still not convinced that it’s any better for boat casting. In anything other than a flat sea I find that the rod tip just bounces whereas mono seems to soak the movement up better. 
I’m considering going back to 15lb mono straight through which is what I’ve always used for uptide/boat casting. 

20lb mono for uptiding. Some prefer braid but I find it’s tangles too easily…

For downtiding I use the cheapo eBay stuff, 20lb is thin, works well in deep water (400ft). 

benefit is doesn’t matter if needs changing after getting frayed etc 

9 hours ago, JonC said:

I’ve been using 42lb j braid for my fishing lately, but I’m still not convinced that it’s any better for boat casting. In anything other than a flat sea I find that the rod tip just bounces whereas mono seems to soak the movement up better. 
I’m considering going back to 15lb mono straight through which is what I’ve always used for uptide/boat casting. 

I find braid gives  better bite detection and hooking, my Cousin fished with mono the weekend and I completely out fished him, the only difference was i had braid. 

Ive been using a fair amount of Shimano grappler as a budget line, costs the same as Daiwa J braid only far better in my opinion. Very little difference between this and the ocea braid which is more than double the price. Berkeley 131 is still one of my favourites but unfortunately comes with a very high price tag.

56006421-8180-4E73-B544-E2390F0A17F1.thumb.jpeg.a25a2466b717d28f6f00d95362221a90.jpeg

DAC35620-CF41-4371-9944-7563B1726759.thumb.jpeg.b67ab179397613b867ffd6d4bf986d7b.jpeg

Edited by JDP

3 hours ago, JDP said:

Ive been using a fair amount of Shimano grappler as a budget line, costs the same as Daiwa J braid only far better in my opinion. Very little difference between this and the ocea braid which is more than double the price. Berkeley 131 is still one of my favourites but unfortunately comes with a very high price tag.

56006421-8180-4E73-B544-E2390F0A17F1.thumb.jpeg.a25a2466b717d28f6f00d95362221a90.jpeg

DAC35620-CF41-4371-9944-7563B1726759.thumb.jpeg.b67ab179397613b867ffd6d4bf986d7b.jpeg

One make of line we don't really see here in the UK. I love shimano stuff as it's all very well built from the cheapest to the most expensive. However, line is something you just don't see much of. Ive not googled this but I'd bet it would have to be imported. 

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

One make of line we don't really see here in the UK. I love shimano stuff as it's all very well built from the cheapest to the most expensive. However, line is something you just don't see much of. Ive not googled this but I'd bet it would have to be imported. 

You might get it soon, its only been available for around 6 months here, so might filter its way to you guys soon.

• 4 weeks later...