Catch report Teignmouth (late...)

thejollysinker

Out from Teignmouth on a very flat and calm start just over a fortnight ago saw me heading straght for an inshore wreck not toof ar out. Got the hammer down as just re-sized my prop coz the old one was way out ( I thought it was my engine/carbs) and attained 22 kts so was there in a jiffy 😊 

started drifting with jigs and feathery things and immediately  had some joeys and small pout. Chucked them in my BIG bucket and went around for another drift. This went on for several goes and then bang, rod hoops over and decent fish on.... played it hard 2/3 of the way up and whoosh, gone... not happy. Next drift dropped one of my jigs on freespool (fixed spool) and dropped another lighter jig on another rod and could hear a strange whistling sound????? looked over to see the spool on the other rod emptying at an alarming rate, and I mean fast! I thought oooh, here we go... picked it up, whacked the bail arm over and the rod arched into its tightest curve then ping! Reeled it in to see the 20lb leader had been cut quite cleanly right near the critters mouth ('twas a short leader), so I don't know what it was but it left me wanting.....

After that I anchored up over the wreck... sort of. Didn't get it quite right but was close enough. Dropped a live pout over the side and another rod rigged with mackerel fillet and within minutes had my first sizeable Bass, whoop whoop! (on the live Pout).

Another boat is heading straight for me now and it looks like another Orkney, indeed it was. A chap from Exmouth had made his way over. We exchanged greetings and I signed him up to the Orkney Boat Owners UK (FB) coz he wasn't aware we existed and exchanged pleasantries. A couple of drifts later and he disappeared homeward bound.

I managed another sizeable Bass, a nice big Pout, loads of smaller Pout, the inevitable Dogfish and a solitary Whiting before I had to pack up and head for home arriving in time to unload and park the dinghy up before getting home for a couple of ciders.... 

All in all, a bloody good day out 😊

PS. sorry about the photos, they're not the best 

Untitled-4.png

Untitled-5.png

Untitled-7.png

1 hour ago, thejollysinker said:

Another boat is heading straight for me now and it looks like another Orkney, indeed it was. A chap from Exmouth had made his way over.

That would be Peter ............ he lives in Exeter but moors in the Exe .................... so I am guessing you were on the Boma ..........

12 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That would be Peter ............ he lives in Exeter but moors in the Exe .................... so I am guessing you were on the Boma ..........

You are correct sir, it was Peter 👍 but you are on the wrong wreck guess.... try another 😉

Just now, thejollysinker said:

I may well do when I get the chance 😉 what with my Land Rover breaking down today and all.... and no, please don’t start on that one 😂

Don’t worry, all of us here know that LR are over rated. If you want reliability then go Toyota or Isuzu! 🤭

10 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

I may well do when I get the chance 😉 what with my Land Rover breaking down today and all.... and no, please don’t start on that one 😂

Ooh! I do love a good "my Land Rover has broken down" thread! Go ahead and post up all about it.

Being an ex-LR owner I will sit back and read it basking in the warm feeling I'll get knowing that it's happening to someone else for a change and not me 🤣👍

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Ooh! I do love a good "my Land Rover has broken down" thread! Go ahead and post up all about it.

Being an ex-LR owner I will sit back and read it basking in the warm feeling I'll get knowing that it's happening to someone else for a change and not me 🤣👍

Nope, not until it’s fixed, then I can regale you with tales of how long it took and how expensive it was (or wasn’t) and how it brought me to my knees.... again 😬

2 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

Don’t know, it just wouldn’t start when I left work... it’s a disco td5... the love affair is starting to wane 😕

Mine was a Disco 2 TD5. After I went through new ball joints x2, air suspension bags x2, a major service, a new gearbox and a weeping core plug all in the space of 6 months I got rid of it.

They say the two best days in a boat owners life are they day you buy it and the day you sell it... the same was true for my LR ownership.

42 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Mine was a Disco 2 TD5. After I went through new ball joints x2, air suspension bags x2, a major service, a new gearbox and a weeping core plug all in the space of 6 months I got rid of it.

They say the two best days in a boat owners life are they day you buy it and the day you sell it... the same was true for my LR ownership.

I agree with that, also add Range Rover to the list

How the fuck are they still making them so unreliable

1 hour ago, thejollysinker said:

You are correct sir, it was Peter 👍 but you are on the wrong wreck guess.... try another 😉

Well, the nearest wreck that is easy to anchor would be the Galicia, which is a wreck I rarely fish, other than to drift alongside it for Plaice in the summer ............

Also, you might have been to the Bretagne, but I doubt Peter would go that far in that direction ...............

46 minutes ago, JonC said:

They have terrible reliability issues. 
I have an old defender, I can do  most maintenance myself, all basic stuff. I don’t know anyone with a Range Rover that hasn’t had serious bother with it. 

Touch wood, my 57 reg LR Sport 3.6TDV8 is a super vehicle, and in my opinion one of the best tow vehicles around. Geoff. ☺️

Edited by Geoff
wrongly input 3.2 instead of 3.6 - now corrected. Sorry. Geoff.

8 hours ago, Geoff said:

Touch wood, my 57 reg LR Sport 3.6TDV8 is a super vehicle, and in my opinion one of the best tow vehicles around. Geoff. ☺️

I hope you have the Unicorn of RR's, 1 new gear box in mine before I bought it and another after about 3 yrs of ownership

Plus the air suspension pump (fixed myself for £25) and an airbag (suspension)

I got off quite lightly really, Oh and around 19 mpg

21 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Well, the nearest wreck that is easy to anchor would be the Galicia, which is a wreck I rarely fish, other than to drift alongside it for Plaice in the summer ............

Also, you might have been to the Bretagne, but I doubt Peter would go that far in that direction ...............

Galicia it was... interesting to know about the Plaice (thanks for the tip 😉) been wondering where I could get some flatties around these parts 😊

15 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Galicia it was... interesting to know about the Plaice (thanks for the tip 😉) been wondering where I could get some flatties around these parts 😊

There are several areas where you can catch a Plaice or two, but for quality and quantity, then you need to make a trip to the Skerries, which is only about 45 mins ........