new boat advice

Jon I quoted 900kg as they are listed 800-1000kg depending on cuddy options. All up weight will depend what the boat is loaded with, as we are talking used boats, that would have to be taken on case by case basis. Trailer should have a minimum capacity of 1500kg to take all up weight into account.....

As for deadrise etc, shetland has changed hands and the old useful website (for older models) has been taken down. Maybe Seahog would know as they took on the moulds for the 500 at least.....

Alaskas do have a good reputation tho

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy135. Still looking to be honest - although slowed down with all this funny business going on.

Think Ive narrowed it down to the following

Seahog Commodore - seem very roomy for the length of boat, fairly light, not much draft and now have decent freeboard with new mould. Good price too.

Sea Champion 18 - self draining deck and again fairly roomy. I really do like the look of these and saw one at Southampton Boat Show some years ago. But they seem to be like hens teeth.

Raider 18 Cuddy - popular so lots of feedback which all seems positive and had a member helpfully send me photographs which shows they are again fairly roomy for size of boat. Not self draining (I dont think), not many about.

Warrior 175 - again, roomy and self draining deck and popular. BUT - these seem a tad heavy and also pretty expensive.

I know the seahog has a different hull, I know not all of them are self draining, I know some say that the rides are harder than others etc etc - BUT from what Ive seen on here and other sites - no boat has everything and all of above have their own merits.

Self draining not necessarily a clincher - just thought if would be helpful in case one came over the side off of St Catherines Point.

On that basis, if one of the above comes up for sale along the south coast or close by, is in decent nick with a good outboard - and of course is the right price - I am pretty sure I would just go ahead and purchase.

Thanks all for advice so far.

Hi Peachey, it's a tough decision.

As for a self-draining deck I guess it depends on how likely you are to go out in conditions that would make it worthwhile. We had a discussion on here a few weeks ago about self-draining decks and the need for retro-fitting scuppers. For me it comes down to the fact that I'm mostly a fair weather boater and I'm highly unlikely to go out into iffy weather, therefore I'm also unlikely to need a self-draining deck (plus I've not yet needed one when I've been at St Cats...). Only you can decide if it's a high priority item based on your own weather tolerance 👍

I seem to remember you saying that you have a launch area that is relatively shallow? If so, then the draft of the hull would probably be my priority. Shallow draft would point me towards a Wilson or similar with a dory/cathedral hull. Slams a bit more, but gets you out earlier and back in later through shallower water.

Raider 18 by a country mile. Put a cover on it and an auto bilge pump you’ll be fine 

Warrior 175 second place.

A raider will get you home when it gets rough, great fuel economy and high gunnels 

Yeah they do seem popular Odyssey - and must be for a reason I guess. The self draining decks is not for rainwater - it is stored on a slipway with bungs out. It would be for any water coming over the side. With the high gunnels though, would help a lot.

Like I say, if any of them come up I would seriously consider buying - but not many of any of them seem to come up often. I will keep looking.

I don’t know much about any of those boats but I do think if you can get a self draining deck without sacrificing freeboard or changing the COG in a bad way then it’s a massive benefit. I often leave the deck wash running when I’m cleaning fish,when the little bits of guts go running down the deck I don’t have to worry about it going in the bilge and blocking my pump or just sticking somewhere rotting. Same with washing down, go mad with the hose and I haven’t got to worry about the pump draining the batteries down. 

OK - so after a couple of months seriously looking into needs and comments/feedback, now narrowed down to the following

Pirate 18 cuddy
Sea Champion 18
Smartliner 19
Westport Pilot 6

These all around 18/19ft mark with self draining decks. Plus they all seem lighter than some of their rivals.

Have room for maybe up to 20ft length as long as not too heavy so other suggestions welcome.

Meanwhile, if anyone knows of any of the above for sale or coming up for sale (second hand) then be grateful if you could let me know - or other suggestions for something slightly larger - although that is not essential as weight also a factor. Would want something in good condition with no work required.

Did really like the look of the Pirate 21 but just too big for where we are.

Cheers

somewhere around 16k or less would be good BUT - if something came up that I really liked - then Im sure I wouldnt be able to help myself.

The boat would only be used for fishing 100% of the time (and we get out all the time weather permitting) which means I am not looking for luxuries. Have all electronics to fit from current boat.

Andydavy  - never knew that, thanks for advice. Any idea what year they changed over?

Suzook12. Yeah - looked at those plenty. Seems they are a bit old though and I cannot find one for sale anywhere- rocking horse.  That said, if one came up in good nick..

1 hour ago, Peachey said:

Andydavy  - never knew that, thanks for advice. Any idea what year they changed over?

I did a bit of research into Pirate 21's before I bought my current boat. I seem to remember around 2006/2007 but I could (quite easily) be wrong.

Best bet would be to ring them and ask.

https://www.pirate-boats.com/

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I did a bit of research into Pirate 21's before I bought my current boat. I seem to remember around 2006/2007 but I could (quite easily) be wrong.

Best bet would be to ring them and ask.

https://www.pirate-boats.com/

I seem to remember a few unhappy customers, poor customer service etc but I may have dreamt that. Though if buying a second hand boat any issues should have been ironed out. 

edit

This is based on rumours and not substantial claims so please don’t  take legal action Mr Pirate. 

17 minutes ago, JonC said:

I seem to remember a few unhappy customers, poor customer service etc but I may have dreamt that. Though if buying a second hand boat any issues should have been ironed out. 

edit

This is based on rumours and not substantial claims so please don’t  take legal action Mr Pirate. 

I bought a used boat from Mr Pirate. Never again...

31 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Guess it weren't the Black Pearl then??

No, it was my Orkney 440. As I paid for it I saw that someone had left on the counter a sheet of paper that outlined the agreement he had with the owner - 20% brokerage fee. For a couple of online adverts and half an hour of work...! 😡

At that point I promised myself that I'd never again use a broker, either for buying or selling.

11 hours ago, Andy135 said:

No, it was my Orkney 440. As I paid for it I saw that someone had left on the counter a sheet of paper that outlined the agreement he had with the owner - 20% brokerage fee. For a couple of online adverts and half an hour of work...! 😡

At that point I promised myself that I'd never again use a broker, either for buying or selling.

To be fair to the broker there is a little bit more to it, look at the hassle @KennyPowers had with fishy's mate. If you work out the time spent on the phone for that return 

8 minutes ago, JonC said:

To be fair to the broker there is a little bit more to it, look at the hassle @KennyPowers had with fishy's mate. If you work out the time spent on the phone for that return 

Yeah, but Mr Pirate isn't a broker. He's a boat builder who occasionally sells used boats. So he's charging brokerage fees to cover brokerage overheads he doesn't have.

Like I said, never again...

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Yeah, but Mr Pirate isn't a broker. He's a boat builder who occasionally sells used boats. So he's charging brokerage fees to cover brokerage overheads he doesn't have.

Like I said, never again...

You bought brokers into it?