new boat advice

Hi all - just joined and looking for a bit of advice. Posted this same question on another forum and had 2 very helpful replies but this site looks a lot more active and up to date.

Looking for a new boat with certain requirements which make current boat redundant.

• Needs to fish 3 people reasonably comfortably but with maximum length of 19ft - 20 at a stretch. Smaller the better but as I say, 3 blokes fishing for maybe 4/5 hours in winter and 2 fishing all day in summer.
  • be fairly stable - decent beam and freeboard - fishing off of back of the IOW.
  • will be fishing all year round so handle a choppy sea if get caught out.
  • needs to be as light as possible as launching from a beach slipway which it will be permanently moored on. Will use a capstan winch.
  • because of tides/slipway, draft as shallow as possible (but not to point of making unsafe etc etc)
  • speed - anything over 16 knots
  • doesnt have to have a cabin as more concerned with deckspace. But some kind of shelter be good if pushed forward to keep deckspace.

Been looking at many different boats and always liked look of elite, predator, warrior (175 export?) etc etc over the years BUT they do not seem large enough on deckspace for 3 large blokes to fish (correct me if im wrong as never actually been out on one). Thought some of you may have a suggestion about something I have missed.

Thats a lot of wishes I know - just thought some of you would have some ideas/experience.

Cheers

Hello Peachey, and welcome to Offshore Outlaws!

I have a Predator 165 and I'm inclined to agree with you - it can fish two brilliantly, but three would be a squeeze.

As for the rest of your requirements - you'll likely need to make some compromises/trade offs. For example, a boat that can fish 3 in comfort will be larger, therefore heavier, therefore less suitable for trailing and slower, unless you go for a bigger engine, which means more initial outlay, bigger fuel bills etc etc.

How often would all three of you be fishing? If it's only occasionally, you might find a 165-style boat would fit the bill more often than not. Give us an idea of frequency and estimated budget and we can better advise. Off the top of my head I'd say a Raider would suit you, but these are heavier to move around on a trailer. One of the guys at my boat club recently sold his Raider as it was too heavy for him to manoeuvre single-handedly when getting it to the slipway from his yard space.

Whereabouts are you launching from? I'm at ECA in Langstone Harbour and can give you some pointers on beach launching if necessary.

Hi Peachey

welcome to the outlaws. You’ve come to the right place for sure. 
A couple of question, as Andy said, what is your budget, do you require any shelter, and how often do you fish 3 blokes? 
If you have a boat already then I’m guessing your aware of pit falls and what to look for when buying? If not, there is a boat buying article in the articles section that may give you some useful pointers. 

Thanks all for replies.

Never heard of an alaska 600 - will look em up.

Andy135 Many thanks. We launch off a steep concrete slipway off of a small beach/cove. Its a great place for fishing back of the wight but at low water - there isnt much....

There are three of us sharing a 16ft open boat (ideal for 2 in summer and will launch all states of tide) and a 24ft cat - which needs a bit of water to launch. Launching the cat is no problem in summer as long days - but in winter with shorter days, we often miss the neap tides that have low water midday. So, the boat we need wouldnt have to be real comfy for three - as only fishing for a few hours on neap tides during winter with three people (when wind not blowing) and all tides rest of year with 2 people. Other winter times the cat will get out.

Hope that makes some kind of sense and thanks for suggestions.

@Peachey, that's a tall order. Only thing I can think of would be an inflatable that could be carried out at lows to find enough water to launch from. If it's only for a few hours at a time then although it would be a squeeze for three I'm guessing you all could put up with it?

One other suggestion for you. 17ft Wilson Flyer. Minimal cuddy/cabin space so should fish 3 ok, it has a dory hull and shallow draft and therefore can get in and out in shallower water than a V hull.

Could even go for the bigger versions if space was a must. They did a 24ft version from memory and may have done a 21ft version too.

OK - cheers all.

Think Im down to either a 20ft Wilson flyer or a new 17ft Seahog Commodore - I am being told that the seahog commodore is real good for deckspace for a 17ft boat. With it being light too - may be ideal for what I am looking for. 

Thanks again

1 minute ago, Peachey said:

OK - cheers all.

Think Im down to either a 20ft Wilson flyer or a new 17ft Seahog Commodore - I am being told that the seahog commodore is real good for deckspace for a 17ft boat. With it being light too - may be ideal for what I am looking for. 

Thanks again

Keep us posted with the search and purchase, and don't forget to post up some photos of whichever boat you go for 😉

42 minutes ago, Peachey said:

OK - cheers all.

Thanks again

Be aware that both will tend to 'slam' even in the most moderate of swells ................. but generally pretty safe boats .............

3 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Ah right, won't be my mates old one I doubt

His had a straight 6 Mercruiser diesel (180hp IIRC) and the guy who bought it was going to drop a bigger lump in it

That’s already big for a 23’ . 
All these homemade boats with legs are a bit worrying for me. 

On 12/1/2020 at 1:57 PM, Peachey said:

OK - cheers all.

Thanks again

Raider 18 cuddy has the biggest deck space of any 18 footer at 54 square feet.

Weight wise they are 630-700kgs depending on which model (Wheelhouse, Fisherman or Cuddy) so not very heavy.

The cuddy will fish 4, the Wheelhouse/Fisherman 3.

More space than a 17ft Seahog Commodore and a much better sea boat.

Just be aware that Flyers have very low gunnels and are pretty slammy, although I personally quite like them.

28 minutes ago, headlight said:

Weight wise they are 630-700kgs depending on which model (Wheelhouse, Fisherman or Cuddy) so not very heavy.

Just be aware that Flyers have very low gunnels and are pretty slammy, although I personally quite like them.

Apart from the newer ones built by Garry Bull.

Likewise the alaska 600 has a very large deck space and weighs in at around 900kg

Lots of options, all comes down to personal preference.

6 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Apart from the newer ones built by Garry Bull.

Likewise the alaska 600 has a very large deck space and weighs in at around 900kg

Lots of options, all comes down to personal preference.

Just tried to find some info on these (in fact several UK boats). It seems very hard to find useful details on most boats, searches seem to keep heading to sites like this where people are chatting about boats.

I was wanting to see what weight the 600 Alaska would be loaded on the trailer with engine and fuel etc, this is vital to anyone wanting to know their legal towing limits with the vehicle they own. I assume the 900kg is a bare dry hull new ? this could quite easily approach 2 tons or more when loaded.

Also manufacturers over there who do post some info, don't seem to bother stating the degree of V in the hull. This is incredibley useful info for understanding how a boat will handle in chop and also helpful for estimating hp and prop size etc.

Is there somewhere where this info can be found easily to make things easier for buyers.

7 hours ago, headlight said:

Apologies, did mean to do a multiple quote but stuffed it up!!!

As above in terms of boat information, those 17-18ft boats could easily top the scales at 2 tons when loaded ready to launch. An overall weight is far more useful than a bare new hull.