new boat advice

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Yeah, but Mr Pirate isn't a broker. He's a boat builder who occasionally sells used boats. So he's charging brokerage fees to cover brokerage overheads he doesn't have.

Like I said, never again...

He takes in boats as PX. In doing that there is a financial risk of having cash tied up in a boat that may take a while to sell. 

I sold my Orkney through a broker, he sold it on a trailer when he brought it to his yard. I tried for 6 weeks to sell it but only got fender kickers. 

He has a buyer waiting. £500 well spent... 

Pirates are nice boats but I wouldn’t judge all brokers by them...

Pirates are heavy, well built hulls. I’m not sure how easy to trailer launch on a regular basis.

7 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Yeah, but Mr Pirate isn't a broker. He's a boat builder who occasionally sells used boats. So he's charging brokerage fees to cover brokerage overheads he doesn't have.

Like I said, never again...

A lot of boat builders sell used boats, usually only their brand.

Ribcraft certainly do, but the boat has to meet their strict criteria before they will take part ex on a new model. Generally Ribcraft part ex boats are sold before being advertised as there is waiting list.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for suggestions to date - but still not found the right boat. New ones seem to be circa £25-30k plus the dreaded, which at moment is a little out of my range. I am looking at £18k absolute max.

Can anyone suggest places to look other than boats and outboards and FAFB?

Cheers

15 minutes ago, Peachey said:

Thanks again for suggestions to date - but still not found the right boat. New ones seem to be circa £25-30k plus the dreaded, which at moment is a little out of my range. I am looking at £18k absolute max.

Can anyone suggest places to look other than boats and outboards and FAFB?

Cheers

You could try apolloduck.co.uk.

If you PM me with your requirements I'll post them up on my boat club's private WhatsApp to see if anyone can be tempted to sell or knows of one available.

If you have a few makes you are interested in Google will come up with quite a few. Can be time consuming to trawl through but what else can you do locked down!

I have found brokers tend to leave sold boats advertised. I am also surprised at the number of advertisers who don't respond to an enquiry.

4 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

I am also surprised at the number of advertisers who don't respond to an enquiry.

Indeed. I gave the seller of my current boat a call instead of emailing or texting him, and he said he'd had loads of speculative emails but considered phone callers more seriously as buyers so he prioritised them over replying to a random text or email.

Still annoying if a seller doesn't respond to a voicemail or pick up the phone though.

57 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

That is interesting. I would always respond with an email asking for some pictures of what they have not included. To me a written communication is a much better idea than some random phone call! 

In today's mobile-connected society it's the work of less than 30 seconds to fire off a text message to a seller asking for all sorts of photos. No real effort required therefore much easier for tyre-kickers. From a seller's perspective they might have three or four requests for extra photos, so they have to got to the boat, take specific pics and send them on to some random on the internet that they then never hear from again. All that effort for nothing. I had this when selling cars in the past.

Serious buyers pick up the phone in my experience. It shows the seller that you're not just a tyre-kicker and therefore it's likely worth their while to send extra photos.

I am a serious buyer, money sitting in the bank. I want some pictures that have not been posted in the ad, perhaps because they show things in a bad light. Email gives seller somewhere to send pictures to at their convenience. A phone call, quite possibly at an inconvenient time, then spelling out an email address probably several times over the phone is an inefficient way to achieve getting pictures. I am a customer, are we not always right! The boat has been for sale maybe six months, I asked for information a long time ago, at that time I could have gone to see it. If you want to sell something why not respond to enquiries? Interesting how people have different ideas.

38 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

I am a serious buyer, money sitting in the bank. I want some pictures that have not been posted in the ad, perhaps because they show things in a bad light. Email gives seller somewhere to send pictures to at their convenience. A phone call, quite possibly at an inconvenient time, then spelling out an email address probably several times over the phone is an inefficient way to achieve getting pictures. I am a customer, are we not always right! The boat has been for sale maybe six months, I asked for information a long time ago, at that time I could have gone to see it. If you want to sell something why not respond to enquiries? Interesting how people have different ideas.

Thing is Gord, you know you're a serious buyer, but how does the seller know that? Best way to show them in my opinion is to call them and have a chat. You can ask questions and hear the answers directly - if the seller pauses or fluffs around over the answers it gives you another level of insight over and above the pictures. If you and the seller build up a rapport on the phone it can help you get prioritised over other prospective buyers.

This happened to me when I bought my current boat from Jersey. Phone calls and a video call tour of the boat led to a sea trial, all because we had built up a rapport on the phone. He held the boat until I could get on a plane to see it in person, despite him having (text-only) interest from local buyers, and the fact that he and I had spoken several times meant he could see that I was genuine which helped him to feel comfortable about letting me have first refusal.

On the flip side, if you call and they don't pick up or don't respond to your answerphone message, isn't that rather a good indication of whether they're serious about selling?

I always email then I have a track of whats been said. If dealer / broker can't be bothered then neither can I. When looking last year two sellers lost my potential custom due to their brokers lack of ability to answer me. When I tracked down the sellers both were horrified.

Ended up buying a boat miles away from an absolute brilliant broker who could not have been more helpful.