Any travelling Garmin techies about ?

I need someone to visit my boat to go through my electronics system to determine if my AIS and radar actually work

The Radar doesn't appear on any of the MFD screens

The AIS has a flashing light on the unit (which is mounted in the cabin) but doesn't show up on the MFD's either

Boat is in Cardiff Bay

Would ideally like someone with plenty of experience with Garmin stuff (installation and set-up) and not a general electrician

@Odyssey Luke, did you mention a while back that you knew of someone locally ?

EDIT

1 x Garmin gpsmap 7410 xsv

1 Garmin gpsmap 5012

1 Garmin gpsmap 5212

1 Garmin 18 ?? radar dome

Plus usual transducers, antennae etc

Edited by jonnyswamp
Extra info

5 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I need someone to visit my boat to go through my electronics system to determine if my AIS and radar actually work

The Radar doesn't appear on any of the MFD screens

The AIS has a flashing light on the unit (which is mounted in the cabin) but doesn't show up on the MFD's either

Boat is in Cardiff Bay

Would ideally like someone with plenty of experience with Garmin stuff (installation and set-up) and not a general electrician

@Odyssey Luke, did you mention a while back that you knew of someone locally ?

Why not ring Garmin technical and go through it with them? They are pretty good and know their stuff!

24 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Why not ring Garmin technical and go through it with them? They are pretty good and know their stuff!

I found their instal team unhelpful but the tech guy talked me through a full on off reset last week. 

23 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I have spoke to them in the past and found them great, but this is more of an installation/wiring question or problem, rather than a technical issue

I need someone who installs these systems regularly to have a look

I'm going down tomorrow to go through some basic fault finding, will have to take panelling off to check/identify cables which will be a PITA

Also to see if I actually have power going to the Radar, as noting is listed on any of the fuse boxes

40 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I have spoke to them in the past and found them great, but this is more of an installation/wiring question or problem, rather than a technical issue

I need someone who installs these systems regularly to have a look

I'm going down tomorrow to go through some basic fault finding, will have to take panelling off to check/identify cables which will be a PITA

Also to see if I actually have power going to the Radar, as noting is listed on any of the fuse boxes

It’s an Arvor, the wiring is atrocious as standard 

59 minutes ago, daio web said:

jonny there is a company in cardiff bay they are called marine electronics wales at https;//www.marineelectronicswales.com hope you can sort it bud

He’s a good guy, Salvo, runs that massive lump of a charter boat out of Penarth Marina part time. 

Puravida in Penarth also good, they took over Ed Risby who is at CBYC. He was a Garmin and Raymarine guy. Salvo will most likely get you sorted 🙂 

I’ll check with the boss but I maybe free on weekend to have a look but I don’t know much about Garmin…. Only Lowrance/Simrad 

1 hour ago, daio web said:

jonny there is a company in cardiff bay they are called marine electronics wales at https;//www.marineelectronicswales.com hope you can sort it bud

Thanks @daio web, I'll give him a call tomorrow when I'm down there

Thanks @Odyssey I had a number from a guy in the club last year (maybe year before) I got talking to in the yard, may be one and the same

26 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

He’s a good guy, Salvo, runs that massive lump of a charter boat out of Penarth Marina part time. 

Puravida in Penarth also good, they took over Ed Risby who is at CBYC. He was a Garmin and Raymarine guy. Salvo will most likely get you sorted 🙂 

I’ll check with the boss but I maybe free on weekend to have a look but I don’t know much about Garmin…. Only Lowrance/Simrad 

Puravida is a surf shop ?

Couldn't find any reference to electronics on their website ?

16 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

The standard boat wiring isn't that bad, it's the networking cables between the plotters/radar etc I need a bit of time spent on

Have you tried turning it off and on a few times? 🤣

Just now, jonnyswamp said:

Yes, every time I moor up I turn it off and every time I go fishing I turn it back on

Oh thought it was worth a try. How about hitting it a bit ? 

21 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Puravida is a surf shop ?

Couldn't find any reference to electronics on their website ?

They are in Penarth Marina where the old Team Marine used to be, operating out of that workshop now 

Have you checked the Garmin Marine Network cable pins from the radar to the network ?

Are these all connected via NMEA 2000 through a powered NMEA starter kit ? Is the software up to date.

Have you checked the basics by using the menu, settings-Communications-NMEA 2000 set up. -device list. If so is the radar showing here in the device list ? 

If not showing check the starter kit fuse. Check the bus bars are all connected correctly.

I don't use radar so not sure how the menus work but is there a pause radar like there is for transducers and if so make sure its simply not paused.

Its a real pain if you have the unit setup how you like it and have to do a factory restart and make sure you have your fishing spots backed up if do a full restart. 

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/gpsmap7400-7600/EN-US/GUID-D91F8D5F-FF56-4BC0-8988-63473D5F46B0.html

Edited by JDP

Bit of an update

Unplugged the radome and checked power cable, no power

Only 4 bolts, so thought I'd remove the unit and take it to Lukes recommendation to see if they could power it up and maybe check functionality

Lifted it free of the mountings and thought. christ this is heavy

Got it on deck, turned it upside down and drained 2 gallons of rusty water through the hole on the top (that had a bit of tape over it) 

Just got it home and split it apart, it has had water in it for a good while by the looks of it

Every thing rust stained and seized

There was a plastic nut and a rubber washer floating around inside, was this once connected to a blanking plug that went through the hole in the top ?

Anyway, new 18" radome required