Practicalities running a boat from Teignmouth

6 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

When I first got my boat they (Stuart) charged me £20 a week for the three months I had it there

Stuart got the elbow some time ago (2 years). They got a woman manager in there that seems to run a good show. I think Alan pays about £400 ish per year for his Offshore 25.

7 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Stuart got the elbow some time ago (2 years). They got a woman manager in there that seems to run a good show. I think Alan pays about £400 ish per year for his Offshore 25.

X14 for my mooing cost !! 

If you go storage and bigger boat, you then have the option of taking your kayaks with you and can get closer in to features that you just couldn't paddle to before and wouldn't want to take the bigger boat in close to.

Range is something you really need to consider, horse power needs feeding and lots of it, especially if speed is a requirement too. An old slogger will go anywhere on a fivers worth of cherryade, but will take you all day to get there, and you could probably do the same range in the kayaks!! Outboards and planing hull boats you are talking litres per nautical mile, so be aware that the kind of journies you are thinking could result in 50-60 litres of fuel per trip.

I think the pilot4 you pointed at would get old real quick, not many benefits over the yaks, none of the advantages, and likewise compared to a bigger boat.

There are a few boats around the size of warriors that have good sea keeping qualities, and bought second hand fully kitted "could" be a bargain. You would need to know what you are looking at, or get someone that does, and of course, you are buying the previous owners maintenance or lack of

On 7/13/2023 at 1:53 PM, RogB said:

Thanks - that sounds like a good suggestion and minimal faffing. I am more open to paying for secure storage than for a mooring (a patch of gravel and a load of liabilities in my eyes!). I didn't know they also did accessible storage. I am aware of the Shaldon Marine storage yard but I expect thats mainly to overwinter boats. 

Here you go,

https://riversideteignmouth.co.uk/

On 7/15/2023 at 12:38 PM, GPSguru said:

Thanks, I had already contacted them and had a nice swift reply. Seems your mate must be very lucky as the charges must have gone up - £90+/per month for 5m. Which at first sight is a bit steep but if you launched once a week it would cost £40 per month for parking at Polly Steps. So, assuming you can park at Riverside while afloat, its not quite so bad for regular use. Unfortunately I recon we would be closer to launching once a month average.

We did go look at a Pilot 4 in Exeter and a quick measure up confirmed it would just fit lengthwise but the cuddy would need to come off for the height, which isn't a problem as its designed to pop on and off. That one was nearly new with a 30hp Tohatsu 4s and a small fishfinder (which is a bit surplus as we have fishfinders and portable VHF from kayaking). It looked roomy in the back for two fishing as although short (very short as we observed when driving off and comparing to the Warrior 165 parked next to it) its  also 6' wide which would be enough for our lure fishing (no bait tanks, chopping boards etc to worry about). We also found a private seller with a better spec nearly new, with a 40 hp, useful accessories and no extra electronics for similar money, which on paper seems a better option.

On 7/14/2023 at 10:27 AM, suzook12 said:

I think the pilot4 you pointed at would get old real quick, not many benefits over the yaks, none of the advantages, and likewise compared to a bigger boat.

This, and the access problems and fact that the boat would hinder or block getting the kayaks out of the garage, is causing me some concerns. But I don't think we can justify a bigger boat (which would have to be older and more risky proposition for newbies) and a lot of ongoing non maintenance costs.

So still undecided.....

2 hours ago, RogB said:

Thanks, I had already contacted them and had a nice swift reply. Seems your mate must be very lucky as the charges must have gone up - £90+/per month for 5m. Which at first sight is a bit steep but if you launched once a week it would cost £40 per month for parking at Polly Steps. So, assuming you can park at Riverside while afloat, its not quite so bad for regular use. Unfortunately I recon we would be closer to launching once a month average.

We did go look at a Pilot 4 in Exeter and a quick measure up confirmed it would just fit lengthwise but the cuddy would need to come off for the height, which isn't a problem as its designed to pop on and off. That one was nearly new with a 30hp Tohatsu 4s and a small fishfinder (which is a bit surplus as we have fishfinders and portable VHF from kayaking). It looked roomy in the back for two fishing as although short (very short as we observed when driving off and comparing to the Warrior 165 parked next to it) its  also 6' wide which would be enough for our lure fishing (no bait tanks, chopping boards etc to worry about). We also found a private seller with a better spec nearly new, with a 40 hp, useful accessories and no extra electronics for similar money, which on paper seems a better option.

This, and the access problems and fact that the boat would hinder or block getting the kayaks out of the garage, is causing me some concerns. But I don't think we can justify a bigger boat (which would have to be older and more risky proposition for newbies) and a lot of ongoing non maintenance costs.

So still undecided.....

My mate has been at riverside for a long, long time, so I guess he ‘knows’ the right people !

With regard to polly steps parking, I pay an annual permit ( you can get seasonal as well) of £300 (£150 car  + £150 trailer).

Did I see you fishing shaldon beach Saturday evening at about 7:00pm ?,  there was a few fishing this afternoons low tide and taking a few out.

Yes, we did Ness beach for a bit but the waves and wind weren't conducive to anything showing so we moved onto Shaldon, had a chat with Stuart who left  and caught a few schoolies on redgills. I kept snagging up though so called it a day early before losses got embarrassing. A few others arrived as we left.

2 minutes ago, RogB said:

Yes, we did Ness beach for a bit but the waves and wind weren't conducive to anything showing so we moved onto Shaldon, had a chat with Stuart who left  and caught a few schoolies on redgills. I kept snagging up though so called it a day early before losses got embarrassing. A few others arrived as we left.

Yes, Stuart was there at about 6pm when I parked up, I saw him catch a couple before you arrived.

If the weather holds, then I might go to the skerries on Tuesday, but looking iffy at the moment.

It was busy down there on the late afternoon low tide and there were a good few coming out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm off to see a Pilot 4 tomorrow, nearly new so engine (100hrs, 1 yr old), boat and trailer are warrantied still, which is somewhat re-assuring for a newbie. They wont take me for a spin in it as its not insured or moored anywhere so it will be a look on the driveway. Seems you can idle the Tohatsu MFS40A EPTL as long as its got a healthy water supply from muffs, bucket or the dedicated flushing hose port so I expect they will do one of these. Anything I should look out for beyond - a strong telltale pee, smooth idle, no smoke etc? Steering working, no bumps or dings in the hull, no cracks in the floor or GRP anywhere (its described as immaculate). I guess the trailer winch needs checking its secure and the wheel bearings aren't wobbly/seized.

How many sets of keys would you expect to get?

Thanks

Rog

@RogB personally I'd never buy a boat without a test run. Engines perform differently when under load than when just sat in a bucket idling. Any honest seller would understand that and make the effort to show off their boat by showing you what it can do. If it's newish I'd expect 2 sets of keys and the kill cord. Also a first, second service receipt or stamp in the service book. 
If the seller refuses to take you for a test ride, how do you know it's their boat and not lifted off a driveway somewhere?? Check all ownership papers and make sure the name on the paperwork matches the sellers ID!! 

6 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

@RogB personally I'd never buy a boat without a test run. Engines perform differently when under load than when just sat in a bucket idling. Any honest seller would understand that and make the effort to show off their boat by showing you what it can do. If it's newish I'd expect 2 sets of keys and the kill cord. Also a first, second service receipt or stamp in the service book. 
If the seller refuses to take you for a test ride, how do you know it's their boat and not lifted off a driveway somewhere?? Check all ownership papers and make sure the name on the paperwork matches the sellers ID!! 

A great example of this was when @KennyPowers bought that boat you surveyed, luckily after a bunch of stress he got all his money back but that was from a dealer and not a private seller, who could very easily just jog you on. 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

A great example of this was when @KennyPowers bought that boat you surveyed, luckily after a bunch of stress he got all his money back but that was from a dealer and not a private seller, who could very easily just jog you on. 

That was a great example of a lazy person buying a boat without first looking at it. I reserve the right to the protection of the courts. 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

That was a great example of a lazy person buying a boat without first looking at it. I reserve the right to the protection of the courts. 

But you said it was all good? I thought that carried a bit of weight around the Southampton boating community? 

Anyway, back on the topic. 
Im guessing a pilot 4 is a 4 meter boat? Or thereabouts. That’s tiny, once you get out in any sort of a chop you will be shitting yourself and waiting to sink. Boats have a habit of seeming a lot smaller once they are in the water. 
And chop isn’t always forecast if you’re thinking that you’re only going out on nice calm days, even the wash from someone in a big cruiser will be horrendous. 

I guess you are determined to buy a pilot 4 regardless. To do so without a sea trial would be doing away with the one chance to see if it will do what you want, and see how claustraphobic a 4m boat really is. You need to evaluate it's sea keeping abilities above anything else. Personally, I feel you will be dissappointed, and the boat will see less use than the yak.

The fact the guy is unwilling to give a sea trial on a 1 year old boat and engine rings alarm bells to me on many fronts. And why is he selling so soon? Could just be he realises how limited it is and wants a bigger boat.....

If you wanted something to potter around on the river/estuary, then yeah, probably ideal, anything beyond that flat calm days only, however often that happens 😉. But then, it's probably already sat on your driveway....