Purchasing petrol for refuelling

paul jenkins

Hi All 

this may be a well explored topic but in my marina there is no petrol pump so you have to bring your own in and load up with 20 lite metal Jerry cans - my 120 litre tank was almost empty so I took 4 Jerry cans and proceeded to fill up with fuel - I was stopped mid Flow and told I can only take 30 litres at a time - painful so I said ok it’s for my boat and I will fill up with the 1 and a half Jerry cans and come back for more - she said she would not allow me to do this and said she had a record or my number plate ! - I know you can go to other stations but Tesco’s is £1.49 a litre the other shell garage is £1.65 a litre - paul

Unfortunately there is some legislation preventing the sale of petrol in portable containers in quantities greater than 30l. Something to do with needing to notify a Petrol Authority if stored in quantities greater than this.

But I'm not sure she's right about not allowing you back once you've decanted them. I seem to recall the limit is 30l per transaction.

In fact a quick Google shows that Tesco's own rules don't prevent repeat transactions.

https://www.tesco.com/help/pages/tesco-petrol-filling-station-faqs/general-information/guidelines-for-filling-up-portable-containers-with-fuel

If she challenges you again just tell her that you're not storing it, you're simply filling a vehicle, and that as Tesco allow vehicles to be filled with more than 30l at a time there cannot therefore be any issue with you filling yours in multiple transactions.

5 hours ago, paul jenkins said:

Hi All 

this may be a well explored topic but in my marina there is no petrol pump so you have to bring your own in and load up with 20 lite metal Jerry cans - my 120 litre tank was almost empty so I took 4 Jerry cans and proceeded to fill up with fuel - I was stopped mid Flow and told I can only take 30 litres at a time - painful so I said ok it’s for my boat and I will fill up with the 1 and a half Jerry cans and come back for more - she said she would not allow me to do this and said she had a record or my number plate ! - I know you can go to other stations but Tesco’s is £1.49 a litre the other shell garage is £1.65 a litre - paul

Fuel station are allowed to implement their own local 'rules' and a lot of them will only allow 5?L at a time in a can.

For your info, here are the rules for the UK,

1. You are only allowed to store 30L in cans at a private dwelling

2. The maximum you can TRANSPORT at any one time is 240L, but it must be in approved containers. (You will find info on this hard to come by, but it is fact. My son has just done his ADR refresh course and I got him to ask the question to see it the 240L still stands, and it does.

So, at the end of the day, the Tesco employee is right on one count, but wrong on everything else, however, if you complain to Tesco management they will probably implement their normal 5L only can rule (called a local restriction).

Do they have 'pay at the pump', if so, then just go back at night and fill up what you want, that is what we do for my mate's boat which has a 450L tank.

My boat is trailered, and twice Tesco have questioned me about filling at the pumps. My reply was that it is no different to a car and as long as you have one foot on the ground, and you are over the age of 16, then it is OK to fill.

By far the best at seeing your side of the storey is Morrisons, locally they have been excellent about filling cans, but they are also very close to the quay and slipway, so I guess they understand.

10 minutes ago, JDP said:

What a pain in the arse, there has to be an easier way around this, can't boat owners or businesses that use more fuel get some kind of permit. No wonder the boating community is so small.

Nope. The rules in the UK regarding inflammable fuels are very specific.

As an example, even though my son is a government employee empowered to implement the HGV laws in every respect, he still has to have a valid ADR certification ( the same as any fuel / oil tanker driver) to drive any type of fuel tanker, even if it is only a couple of metres.

Edited by GPSguru

15 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Nope. The rules in the UK regarding inflammable fuels are very specific.

As an example, even though my son is a government employee empowered to implement the HGV laws in every respect, he still has to have a valid ADR certification ( the same as any fuel / oil tanker driver) to drive any type of fuel tanker, even if it is only a couple of metres.

Even in high temperatures where fire risk is higher we can literally head to any petrol station and fill any approved fuel carrying containers. For the vessels my daughter charters they have a 600lt plastic square container on the back of ute for diesel. 

When I head up north on remote offshore island trips we get fuel dropped on island beaches in 211lt steel drums. These are filled with with 95 or 98 octane petrol, again with the drums filled in the back of utes. The guy we pay to get the fuel fills 4x211lt drums in the back of his ute then takes them to his boat. Our next trip in September we have ordered 7 barrels between 3 boats to be dropped on the beach of a remote offshore island where we will spend a couple of weeks. Lucky for me I have the most economical boat but I still allow for 100km of fuel per day.

Ive yet to hear of any fire here at a petrol station from filling fuel into drums, jerry cans etc. 

23 hours ago, MegaByte said:

I always go to a Shell garage, go to a pump that is not close to the cashier and pay via the app on my phone. I fill my 20L "De-mountable Fuel tanks".

I just fill my jerry cans at the back of my truck and pay at the pump in Tesco garage, never been questioned….. yet 😬

Right! This is a point close to my heart….

Milford haven Tesco, 200l petrol into cans no problem.

5 miles away Pembroke dock Tesco, 5l max…. Rather frustrating when Tesco Milford was once 5p/l cheaper…

local independent…. 240l into cans in back of truck. Explained UN type approved and what the use was for, happy days. 

Pay at pump can be a pain, they hit you with a £100 limit on your card so it’s hard to get lots of fuel without having multiple cards….

Best thing to do is pop in and ask or speak to an independent or use pay at pump and max your card.

@GPSguru is exactly right about storage vs transportation of petrol. There are different rules on diesel which is why you can get an IBC delivered of the red juice but not petrol