My 'Unknown' Project Boat

Kane

Hey All,

I've been given an old fishing boat, which is in a very poorly state. Much work needs doing, including a completely new transom, and a hell of a lot of new fibreglassing. The work I can do, it looks really bad, and it is in places, but she will go back in the water where she belongs.

Thing is... I have absolutely no idea what she is, even the previous owner had no idea. It would help enormously with choosing the right engine, etc.

Anyone got any ideas on make/model please?

Many thanks.

boat.gif

Hi Kane,

Welcome to the site. Nice freebie. Quite a project though going by your description. Good luck with it. How about starting a rebuild thread in the Project Boats section to keep us updated on your progress.

As for what make/model she is... not sure. Looks familiar but I can't place her. Maybe a Shetland 535. Window configuration look the same, but the window shape on yours is more angular than the 535's unless yours is a very early example. Hull shape similar but not identical unless, again, yours is very early.

Any idea what year/how old she might be?

Hi Andy,

I'm all for doing a rebuild thread from start to finish, I hadn't realised there was a project boats section. Sounds like a plan though. 🙂

I thought Shetland too but as you say the windows and the top of the hull are not right. The sweep on the sides doesn't match properly with the 535 either. Tried comparing it to various makes and models with Google images but there's always something doesn't match up. Very frustrating lol.

I'm thinking mid 70s - early 80s, but again, not dead sure. 😞

Welcome to our site @Kane

I haven’t got a clue what your new boat is but congratulations on getting going.

Im sure you’ve already worked out that you will throw loads of money at it that you will never see again but it’ll all hopefully be worth it when you you get out and find yourself some fish, a satisfaction that imho can’t be replicated on charter trips. 
It would be great if you do a blow by blow post of your progress as you go. 
Just don’t look at the receipts as it might make us all cry🤣

Welcome aboard. Nothing like a Shetland or Microplus. I think it is a Mariner, not from the 80's, but probably 70's, or late 60's. Take no notice of these youngsters who all believe that my boat will never float! I wish you the very best of luck with you "M" project. Geoff. 

Edited by Geoff

13 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Just looked at some Mariner images, and they seem to have an additional scalped line between the chine and the deck, so now no longer sure. Geoff.

Disappointed here @Geoff, this was your big chance to shine and you’ve let us all down. 

4 hours ago, daio web said:

it could be a early mariner all the best bud 

Mariner is still the closest that I can think of, I only said that I was no longer sure! The under chine line and the cabin lines look similar, but window shape is different. If it is not a Mariner (built by a company called Marina in Worcestershire) I do think that there may be some connection there. Whatever it is the underwater shape looks purposeful. Geoff.

Hi All

Thankyou for the warm welcome. I have been advised that it is a very early Marina GT16 , based on the GT16 offshore racing model designed to take 2 x 50hp motors. Apparently a classic, so I really have to get her restored now, receipts be damned lol. Luckily I can do the repairs and fit her out myself as far as the labour part go so some savings there.

I think looking more closely, that the windows have been re-shaped, and made bigger. They're not in rubber seals, they've had wood framing glued on inside and out, well, before it rotted and fell off. 😄

Later model pictured here: Marina GT16 Sportboat And Breakback Trailer - Project for sale from United Kingdom (boats-from.co.uk)

Had her moved now to a place I can work on her, albeit outdoors. Considering I live on an island, there is a dearth of indoor spaces available. 😞 Meh, tarps will do. 🙂

Edited by Kane
Messed up a sentence

Well done for getting to the bottom of it. I said that I thought it a Mariner from the late 60's on (I am only saying this to give JonC something to put in his pipe and smoke it). Nice to hear you may have a "classic". We look forward to seeing some pics of your progress. Geoff. 🙂

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Thanks Geoff, it'll be fun anyway. 😄

JonC, should I start another thread for it, now I know what it is, or leave everything here you reckon?

Cheers

Kane

Leave it all here - I'll move the thread over to Project Boats 👍

5 hours ago, Kane said:

Thanks Geoff, it'll be fun anyway. 😄

JonC, should I start another thread for it, now I know what it is, or leave everything here you reckon?

Cheers

Kane

I’m no longer allowed to move things or attempt to keep things tidy, it upsets the locals apparently. 

Have been reading up on adding flotation to these older small boats, a lot of the examples being for a 600lb boat. Mine weighs nearly twice that, and has zero installed buoyancy! 😮

I've seen the calculators, etc., but to make this wee boat anywhere near a neutral buoyancy, I'd have to fill the entire interior in closed cell foam blocks. Has anyone any actual experience of retro fitting an old fibreglass boat with flotation before I go any further?

Cheers

Kane

pit balls in the voids is a common one, as is plastic bottles with the lid sealed on. You may be cutting panels out etc to get them in. Many are done when putting a new deck down after replacing rotten stringers and the like.